1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to find broken backlinks?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Petergoff, Aug 17, 2023.

Hi everyone. I don't know if I'm writing my question in the right section, but I found too much unnecessary information on the internet about this, so I hope some of you can help me understand it better.

How exactly do you find broken backlinks and fix them? I've seen a lot of tasks on Upwork for this request, and I'd like to learn how to do it. Is it something like links removed but left in google history?

A more explanatory answer would be appreciated.

Petergoff, Aug 17, 2023 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by broken backlinks?

If they're getting traffic you should be able to see what they are from your analytics or server logs.

sarahk, Aug 17, 2023 IP
  3. Petergoff

Petergoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It's like 404 error message.

Google said this: What Are Broken Backlinks. A broken backlink is a link between two websites that no longer works. They are also known as broken inbound links or external links, to contrast with internal links that link two pages within your own website. Broken backlinks often lead to a blank page with a 404 error message.

But actually, I can't understand what it means ...

Petergoff, Aug 17, 2023 IP
  4. seomanualsubmission

seomanualsubmission Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Broken Link Building : This is advanced link building technique, people search for theme related website and check for broken links by tools, if they find any broken link there then contact admin to add his website URL there because broken link hurt website status online.
    Broken link checking : You need to check your website for broken link by tools, as i mention above broken link is not good for website and so search for broken link at your website and fix them, broken link can be URLs of external website or inner pages URLs.

I did not use paid version of SEMrush but in free version i saw there that this tool show how many link lost and how many link gain this week, month etc.. So you can check your lost backlinks at this types of tools easily.

seomanualsubmission, Aug 18, 2023 IP
    Petergoff likes this.
  5. factorysalejewelry

factorysalejewelry Peon

Best Answers:
    the broken backlink means the link your put prior on other website is unuseful now.and u can check the broken backlinks with some tools who can check the backlink out. if u found the backlink you always get traffic is not exist now. it means that is broken.

factorysalejewelry, Aug 18, 2023 IP
  6. Petergoff

Petergoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Okay, that's more than enough to understand this business. Thank you so much! And for the SemRush tool too.
    Regard.

Petergoff, Aug 18, 2023 IP
  7. Petergoff

Petergoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Pretty well explained. Unuseful - what do you mean?

Petergoff, Aug 21, 2023 IP
  8. grayb

grayb Peon

Best Answers:
    Use online tools like Ahrefs, SEMrush, or Google Search Console to identify broken backlinks pointing to your site

grayb, Aug 21, 2023 IP
  9. SeoMarketergr

SeoMarketergr Member

Best Answers:
    Finding broken backlinks is important for maintaining the health and performance of your website's SEO. Broken backlinks, also known as dead or 404 backlinks, are hyperlinks on external websites that point to pages on your site which no longer exist or have been moved. Here's how you can find and address broken backlinks:

1. Use SEO Tools: There are various SEO tools that can help you identify broken backlinks on your website. Some popular options include Ahrefs, SEMrush, Moz, and Google Search Console. These tools provide insights into your website's backlink profile and can highlight any broken links.

2. Google Search Console: Google Search Console is a free tool provided by Google that helps you monitor and maintain your site's presence in Google search results. It can also identify broken backlinks pointing to your site. To find broken backlinks using Google Search Console:
      • Select your website property.
      • Go to "Coverage" in the left-hand menu.
      • Click on the "Excluded" tab to see issues like "404 - Page not found."
      • Look for URLs that have "Error" status and review the referring pages.
    3. Third-party Backlink Checkers: There are several online backlink checker tools that can help you find broken backlinks by analyzing your website's backlink profile. Some of these tools allow you to enter your website's URL and generate a list of broken links.

4. Analyze Referral Traffic: Regularly monitor your website's referral traffic in Google Analytics. Look for any significant drops in traffic from specific sources, as this might indicate that the linking page or backlink is no longer valid.

5. Manual Inspection: You can manually inspect the backlinks to your website by clicking on them and checking whether they lead to a valid page. If you find any broken links, you can contact the website owner or webmaster and request them to update the link.

6. Redirects: If you've moved content to a different URL, set up 301 redirects from the old URLs to the new ones. This helps preserve link equity and provides a seamless user experience.

7. Fix or Replace Broken Links: Once you've identified broken backlinks, there are a few options to address them:
      • If the content still exists but has a new URL, update the link to the new URL.
      • If the content no longer exists, consider creating similar or updated content and asking the linking website to update the link.
      • If the linking website is reputable and relevant, you can also reach out and inform them about the broken link, suggesting a replacement link from your site.
    Regularly monitoring and fixing broken backlinks can improve your website's SEO, user experience, and overall online presence.

SeoMarketergr, Aug 31, 2023 IP
  10. Petergoff

Petergoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Nice ChatGPT answer

Petergoff, Sep 3, 2023 IP
  11. Daniel165

Daniel165 Member

Best Answers:
    Using tools like Google Search Console and Ahrefs, which can analyze your website and identify broken link problems you can uncover broken backlinks.

Daniel165, Nov 1, 2023 IP
  12. Petergoff

Petergoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    How to use these tools?

Petergoff, Nov 10, 2023 IP
  13. Mark Elijah

Mark Elijah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Broken backlinks are links on other websites that point to pages on your site that don't exist anymore (often showing a "404 error"). These can hurt your SEO.

Finding them is easy with free tools like Ahrefs' Backlink Checker (Free Broken Link Checker). These tools crawl your site and show you any broken backlinks. Fixing them involves contacting the website owner and politely requesting them to update the link to a relevant page on your site.

Mark Elijah, Apr 5, 2024 IP
  14. Softirina

Softirina Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi :)
    I use Ahrefs. Here is a guide from their team:help.ahrefs.com/en/articles/72842-what-are-broken-backlinks

Softirina, Apr 8, 2024 IP
  15. vinger

vinger Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, you're in the right place! Finding broken backlinks involves tools like Ahrefs or Google Search Console to identify them. Once found, you can either update the link, redirect it, or reach out to the site owner. It's about maintaining a healthy link profile. Hope this helps!

vinger, Apr 25, 2024 IP