1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Open source shopping carts?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by mortgage-pro-seo, Jun 16, 2006.

Happy Friday! Can you guys recommend a good php shopping cart which is SEO friendly? Once that can easily be customized? Are there any open source shopping carts worth a flip?

mortgage-pro-seo, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    We started working with oscommerce resently that is open source php. You have to use contibutions to make it more SEO friendly, but some people say it works well

debunked, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  3. carowan

carowan Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried working with OS commerce for a while. The effort needed to make it presentable (so it doesnt look like an out of the box OSC store) is substantial, and i've had problems with minor errors crashing it. Howver it does have a huge user base, great forums and is widely known.

Zencart is a fork of OS commerce, and ive heard good things, but havent tried it yet.

Im currently using Joomla with a virtuemart cart. love it. But you need to use Joomla in order to iplement. not sure if you want to go the CMS route.

For a first store, you may want to check out yahoo merchant solutions.

goodluck.

carowan, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  4. Chemo

Chemo Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though I have a bad taste in my mouth with the osCommerce team I still recommend it as an excellent eCommerce platform. With some minor tweaking it is robust, scalable, and optimizable.

I don't like the inline PHP/HTML but if you're used to procedural scripting the learning curve is pretty short. Once you get used to the application architecture it's pretty easy to modify the layout or create custom templates.

As for you specific requirement of being SEO friendly: there are several contributions (all free) which will bring you one step closer. You will need to install an URL transformer, header tag controller, and of course content. :)

Bobby

Chemo, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I just hate the fact you don't know which part of a contrib to install or if you have to install the 1st part and 20 fixes, etc...
    I wish it has a tree form to the contribs so you knew which was the latest full and which fixes you had to install seperately without going to each contrib and checking and researching.

debunked, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  6. Chemo

Chemo Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed...a while back before I was banned from the osC community my activity was very high uploading contibutions and generally trying to give forward direction to the project. A few of my suggestions are currently being implemented by Harald (such as the SVN with community branches) but one that was ignored I considered to be of the highest priority.

I posed the idea to Harald a system of contribution ratings whereas the community votes on quality, functional, and bug free code. Obviously that idea was sent to the trash bin...but it is still vitally important to weed out the good from the bad.

Further, I suggested that a code standard be drafted for contributions. As it is now about 75% of contributions don't use the API which makes for poor quality.

Time to get off my soap box...in summary...I agree with you.

Bobby

Chemo, Jun 16, 2006 IP
  7. raziel

raziel Peon

Best Answers:
    I have tried OSCommerece and IMHO, it is the best i have seen because of the community participation. Almost all of the features needed is available through submitted plugins.

However since plugins are done by different people, certain combination of plugins are hard to implement.

If there are better please let us know ^_^

raziel, Jun 16, 2006 IP