1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I don't like using a CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Crusader, Jun 25, 2006.

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned or maybe just plain stupid or something, but I really dislike using a CMS to create sites. I'm a nuts and bolts guy, so I want to know what's going on and where to fix things or change things to my liking.

I find most of the CMS to be too frustrating for me to use. There are loads of things to change, modify and try to track down how to do even the most simple things. I know a CMS should make life easier, but I just don't find that to be true in my case.

I guess having extremely limited PHP and MySQL knowledge comes into play... but I feel so much better creating the pages myself. At least that way I know they will be SE friendly enough, have the right description and keywords, and be named exactly how I want them... without having to sift through loads of documentation to achieve it.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Crusader, Jun 25, 2006 IP
  2. Ecomatrix

Ecomatrix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    YOu really need to experiment with different CMS systems and find one that you feel comfortable with... My personal choice is joomla... Once you have spent a reasonable amount of time with a particular CMS you learn its strengths and weakness...

its far easier to modify and customise a CMS then to build something from scratch.... as they say...why re- invent the wheel...

Ecomatrix, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  3. interwave

interwave Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you try www.oxygen-cms.com/gotodemo.php ?

I've been really frustrated too and that's why I created this CMS (Oxygen), to be able to do some general site management tasks really easy and to be really intuitive.

Please tell me what you think...

Cheers

interwave, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  4. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont do all that, just go to global config, change the kwd and description, i dont read thru bunch of docs, trial and error is your best guru's

rewlie, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You can get a better, cheaper result for your client by using a CMS. Starting from scratch isn't always the right thing to do.

That said, I have a joomla project I'm considering scrapping and converting to CakePHP, but it's not a classic CMS project and I was having to hack and fiddle just a little bit too much.

sarahk, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  6. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, what we want here is a thing that can save our time as much as possible, wish we have more than 24 hours.

rewlie, Jun 29, 2006 IP
  7. neth

neth Peon

Best Answers:
    If your site is rarely updated, then CMS might be unsimple. But when it comes to a complex, dynamic, up to date content then CMS is the best choice.

neth, Jun 30, 2006 IP
  8. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Btw, it's better to serve your audience with fresh content, rather that static content

rewlie, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  9. bugon

bugon Guest

Best Answers:
    My top choices are Joomla and Drupal. The former has more available themes while Drupal is much flexible. For example, it is easy to integrate your own php scripts in drupal pages, write a new module etc.

bugon, Jul 1, 2006 IP