1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I really need some guidance. What is the best software out there for a social network

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by steveone86, Mar 19, 2009.

Hey DP, im looking to add a social network to my exsisting site and getting really overwhelmed by all the various scripts and options out there. DO you guys know which ones are the best and most customizable? my main concerns are login integration, design, and stability (incase i get alot of users). Most of them all share the same basics in terms of functions. Please help if you have any info or experience with any scripts

so far ive heard the 2 best are Social Engine and Elgg?

Thanks

steveone86, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  2. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no one simple "best" solution. If you search DP Forums you'll find a zillion different opinions. What is important beyond features is stability and speed. For example a lot of people seem to like Dolphin, then you'll read how it is very slow. You can read about PHPFox then how people don't want to pay for it. And on and on. There is no one script I've come across and I've looked at many of them that is easy to implement, upgrade, and keep running that still looks professional. Social sites are a lot of work.

Take a look at Hotscripts or one of the already hosted solutions and let someone else do the grunt work for you ... right up to the point they go out of business and you lose everything you have built.

Makes one wonder how many employees it takes to keep a myspace or facebook running.

internetmarketingiq, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  3. seo.wizard

seo.wizard Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't there is any.All paid softwares are buggy and free once lack support. If you are serious, get your own team and build it yourself, if you are not serious, you are probably wasting your time. There is no money in social network sites unless you can scale it up big

seo.wizard, Mar 20, 2009 IP
  4. droid

droid Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to look at Livestreet - it's free ang has a good tech support forum. Also it is very customisable

droid, Mar 21, 2009 IP
  5. RockyMtnHi

RockyMtnHi Active Member

Best Answers:
    RockyMtnHi, Apr 1, 2009 IP
  6. CDZ

CDZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed with seo.wizard..... for a social networking site, best will only be what you get developed yourself!

CDZ, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  7. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very true, I've been looking for years and every single one of them is overwhelmed with issues.

The "best" one is probably Social Engine but it's going to cost you a couple thousand. What most people don't realize is that all of the add-ons are separate fees and you will really need all of them, and your final bill is going to be pretty astronomical.

Most if not all of the other paid solutions look like garbage - either poor programming, outdated features or look like they were designed in the 1990s...

As for a free solution, Elgg and Buddypress look promising.

Pixelrage, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Ning is decent - very easy to use, easy to set up and you can connect a domain name to it.

The only catch is that they charge a monthly fee for their non-branded service (so that you don't need to use whatever.ning.com) and it is overpriced.

Pixelrage, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  9. linkdor

linkdor Banned

Best Answers:
    have a look at wordpress mu and buddypress

linkdor, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  10. JREAM

JREAM Member

Best Answers:
    ExpressionEngine & phpFox are the best if you want your own Social Network with EVERYTHING

JREAM, Apr 2, 2009 IP
  11. nrirac

nrirac Member

Best Answers:
    Dolphin unlimited license worth 790$ is with me .
    I can give you at a price.
    contact.

nrirac, May 23, 2009 IP
  12. iryna

iryna Peon

Best Answers:
    As for me, Elgg is really one of the best in social network development. We have experience in work with Elgg. And during the recent
    time we are working on development of social network for medical workers on Elgg framework.
    Description of this social network you can find at http://www.web100.com.ua/eng/expertise/social-networks/index.html

iryna, May 27, 2009 IP
  13. sima4999

sima4999 Peon

Best Answers:
    hey steveone86 as internetmarketingiq said there is no single best social networking script but there is alot of them out there i'm a fan of boonex's dolphin but the licence's can cost alot of £££ but there is a free option which they have made sure that there name is all over.
    my latest site i use buddypress which i found really good and easy to use
    i've also tried xoops with yogurt plugin which was fairly simple. In my opinion if you want a good social networking site you've either got to pay for it or code it yourself.

sima4999, Jun 1, 2009 IP
  14. Rodder7

Rodder7 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you may also want to consider joomla and community builder.

Rodder7, Jun 1, 2009 IP