1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What CMS system for a news site?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by stockboy, May 13, 2009.

this is a news/analysis site that will generate 250 to 400 short articles per day.
    i'm looking at django and drupal? are those good choices? i'm in the process if trying to find a qualified programmer etc that has experience with mysql and api experience....

thanks!

stockboy, May 13, 2009 IP
  2. GDM

GDM Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I have heard Drupal would work. I know Joomla would do the trick -- plus there are lots of skins ready out of the box. Joomla Art has a newspaper styled skin.

GDM, May 13, 2009 IP
  3. fgllc

fgllc Peon

Best Answers:
    It think Wordpress could handle the job well from your description. I love Drupal but it seems that if you can manage it with less - why make your life harder than it has to be?

If you are auto-blogging then Wordpress has many plugins that work with Cron as well that are free.

fgllc, May 13, 2009 IP
  4. Terryness

Terryness Guest

Best Answers:
    cmswire.com lots of CMS reviews and such here.

Terryness, May 14, 2009 IP
  5. webw0rks

webw0rks Peon

Best Answers:
    word press ..no other option
    best and free
    with lot of capabilities with plugins and themes

webw0rks, May 14, 2009 IP
  6. Volume10

Volume10 Peon

Best Answers:
    start with wordpress. easy to manage and should have everything you need.

Volume10, May 14, 2009 IP
  7. kacangijo

kacangijo Peon

Best Answers:
    WOrdpress will be helpful, its easy and powerful

kacangijo, May 15, 2009 IP
  8. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress and a good news theme will work fine for this project. With that many articles I'd suspect a large intended readership so you want to make sure your backend hosting is in place.

Joomla and Drupal would also work fine with the right template.

Go to Wordpress.org and look at some of the sample sites. There are some pretty big names using Wordpress as part of their online solution including CNN.

internetmarketingiq, May 15, 2009 IP
  9. iconv

iconv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Take a look at ProsePoint - a Drupal-based solution that is specifically tailored for the kind of site you want to create.

iconv, May 16, 2009 IP
  10. phpfoxtemplate

phpfoxtemplate Peon

Best Answers:
    it looks good, though more templates and design would be nice....

phpfoxtemplate, May 16, 2009 IP
  11. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For a high load site, I suggest wordpress. Mainly because it has a light server footprint. If you go with a full blown CMS, its going to use a lot more server resources then wordpress.

And, wordpress has a built in commenting system. Something that not all CMSs have.

~kev~, May 16, 2009 IP
  12. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think that wordpress is a good choice for this at all. If these are reader submitted articles, the word press plugins that funtion like Digg, and Mixx and such are too clunky to handle anything like that with ease.

Sounds like you need Pligg CMS (also free), so that others can submit articles in the niche. I am sure that you are not writing 400 articles a day, right ?

hmansfield, May 16, 2009 IP
  13. Vekseid

Vekseid Peon

Best Answers:
    With no opcode cache, Drupal is nearly ten times as fast as Wordpress. With an opcode cache, Drupal drops to 'only' three and a half times as fast as Wordpress.

With no opcode cache, Joomla is about 10% faster than Wordpress. With opcode cache, Joomla is only about half as fast as Wordpress.

With no opcode cache, MediaWiki is about 40% faster than Wordpress. With opcode cache, MediaWiki is about 80% faster.

So does Drupal and Joomla. In terms of security, features, and quality of code, however, Wordpress simply does not compare.

Vekseid, May 17, 2009 IP
  14. geewhiz

geewhiz Banned

Best Answers:
    I have heard that joomla is a good choice for this type of thing, but i an unsure whether it provides the seo specific url per each article submitted, that helps with seo for your news site. That would be worth checking out, because i gather it quite an important point, so i have heard.

geewhiz, May 17, 2009 IP
  15. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Vivvo. its easy and fast but it cost money and templates are limited

Caesar1, May 17, 2009 IP
  16. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How about a link to your source of information? And what kind of load was the server under during the test? From my personal experience, joomla shuts down and will not respond while wordpress is still trucking along.

I ran a joomla site for 10 - 12 months, and a wordpress site for the same length of time, Wordpress is a lot faster then joomla ever thought about being.

There are a lot of other factors besides "speed" - such as the number of database queries per page, php memory usage, apache memory,,,,, how about a comparison on all of that?

Then there is security - The security of Drupal and Wordpress are superior to joomla. joomlas security is laughable, its like a joke that went bad. Do you "really" want to get into a discussion on how the joomla community turns a blind eye to modifications that have security issues? How the community offers modifications that have known security issues for downloads? Up until about 8 months ago - last time I checked - there were bulletins on the joomla.org security page about certain modifications. Then you could go straight to the downloads area and that mod was still listed - available for the public to download and install it. Its sad and laughable at the same time.

The relaxed attitude of the joomla community on security is one of the many, many reason why I stopped using that cms. And then there is what the joomla developers "think" open source means. That caused a rift in the open source community right there. The SMF forum dropped their support for the smf - joomla bridge because of the stuff the joomla developers were pulling.

When you try to install a modification in joomla, sometimes the permissions on the files will be reset to nobody. So the owner of the account can not make changes to the files. A user with root permission has change the ownership of the files back. Mambo has this same problem. The list of problems with joomla goes on and on and on.

~kev~, May 18, 2009 IP
  17. TheRookie

TheRookie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive made over a hudred sites with drupal and find it to be very easy to learn, not as easy as wordpress but alot more functionality and its faster than wordpress if you need to add the extra modules.

I typically get a template, recently im using these drupal themes They don't require a backlink. drupal.org has some good sources as well.

joomla is great as well but I have quite a bit less experience and am not involed in the joomla community like I am with drupal.

TheRookie, May 18, 2009 IP
  18. Vekseid

Vekseid Peon

Best Answers:
    My own personal siege benchmarking. Notice that I did in fact mention Wordpress was faster than Joomla with an opcode cache enabled. This was with cache enabled in all platforms, which Joomla and Mediawiki do not do by default.

Apache never limited Joomla's or Wordpresses' performance to a significant degree. With an opcode cache, Drupal is fast enough that switching from Apache to nginx can offer a significant speed boost, yes.

The two are not in the same league.

I wasn't gloating about Joomla. I'm simply not at all impressed with Wordpress. It's shoddily coded - two and a half year old SQL injection vulnerability?

Quite a few XSS vulnerabilities remain unpatched - Drupal addresses these as critical issues and WP seems to have ignored them.

Vekseid, May 18, 2009 IP
  19. holdmoon

holdmoon Peon

Best Answers:
    i think jooma is good

holdmoon, May 19, 2009 IP
  20. life31

life31 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Think wordpress is bettter but. Lots of plugins and mods available.

life31, May 19, 2009 IP