1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Social Bookmarking Ever Go Too Far?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Ascendancy, May 25, 2009.

I have a huge collection of social bookmarking sites, a lot of which I've never seen before. I am considering registering accounts on most of them and saving the link to my new blog post / subsequent blog posts to these sites, but is it too much work for no results? I so far have submitted my article to the big social networks: Digg, Delicious, Reddit, etc... but there are so many more like Simpy, Furl, Blinklist, Netvouz, Mister-Wong, Linkagogo... the list really goes on and on.

So what's the verdict, is it worth submitting to all of the social bookmarking sites?

Ascendancy, May 25, 2009 IP
  2. bigmny4you

bigmny4you Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that it depends on your niche partly. If that site has a category that is specific to your niche then definitely yes. If not then just stick to the big boys and try to find a way to make the process as automatic as you can. I use Onlywire.com to handle my social bookmarking.

bigmny4you, May 25, 2009 IP
  3. JamesW2983

JamesW2983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with Social Bookmarking is that most people use it incorrectly. It is just a huge backlinking exercise. If other words we are all guilty of spamming.

The most successful people use SB as it was intended. You need to get involved with the community, hence the word "Social". If you can build a list of relevant "friends", depending on your niche, you only need about 50-75 Diggs for example, to end up on the front page.

Once you are on the front page, then you will start to get some "real" traffic. It is the same as article marketing or blogging or using a forum, you are trying to establish yourself as an expert in your field.

I can guarantee, just by SB to 100's of sites, you won't get much traffic, but you will help to build your site's authority. However it may take 2-3 months of linking back before you see any results. However, by going to just 2 of the bigger SB sites and spending an hour a day mixing with people in your relevant niche, you will start to see traffic within a week!

Cheers
    James

JamesW2983, May 26, 2009 IP
  4. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My first opinion - kinda yes, and kinda no. Signing up at a social bookmarking site is a lot of trouble just to submit a couple of links. And then, some sites like digg will ban you if you submit too many of your own pages, or too many in one day. There was one guy who posted here on digital point, that he submitted around 20 of his blog pages to digg - 2 or 3 days in a row and was banned. So he submitted 40 - 60 links in just a couple of days, spammed digg and was banned.

My second opinion - social bookmarking sites are on the way out. RSS feed bookmarking sites are the way to go. With RSS sites, you have the posibility of getting a lot of deep links to different post on your site.

Social bookmarking sites - you submit each link manually. RSS feed bookmarking sites - submits your entire RSS feed all of the time.

~kev~, May 26, 2009 IP
  5. askaqueryad

askaqueryad Active Member

Best Answers:
    askaqueryad, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  6. lbrg

lbrg Peon

Best Answers:
    Problem with about 70% of people on this website, is that their sites do not fit in a single niche that caters to social bookmark sites. Thus they become spammed and sooner or later they will be devalued as a way to linkbuild.

lbrg, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  7. jonathanfigaro

jonathanfigaro Peon

Best Answers:
    Just use social bookmarking selectively and be active as you make friends and build relationships! Don't by any means spam people, because then they will list you as a spammer....and you don't want that! I lose your creditability if you spam!

jonathanfigaro, Jun 4, 2009 IP
  8. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This actually makes a lot of sense, but the only one I don't get is Delicious. I've never seen any type of friend or following feature on Delicious, and that's one of the biggest social bookmarking sites out there! Any way to get followers on that?

Ascendancy, Jun 4, 2009 IP