1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Printing web images

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by pavka, Jun 10, 2009.

Hi,

i want to ask if there is a possibility for printing web images? I know about the 72 dpi for web and 300 for print, but i see many newspapers and magazines to use pictures from internet and they looks fine to me.

I want to use in a magazine some photos and pictures from internet, but dont know how to make them printable. For example, now i have a 500X332 (61 dpi) pixels image, which i want to use. I want to print the image in different size. I export it in TIF format with 300dpi and 348X348 pixels size. Do you think this will be good for print? Probably not, but if there is a way - I'm asking for your help. Thanks before.

pavka, Jun 10, 2009 IP
  2. figgity

figgity Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Pavka,

The reason printers want 300 dpi is so that the image isn't pixelated when it goes to print.

It's definately doable, but it depends on the size othe image you are trying to use for print. I suggest opening your Web image in photoshop. Go to the image size tab, and let photoshop automatically change your image size, so that you can see how much smaller your image would be at 300 dpi.

figgity, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  3. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The short answer to your question is, yes it is possible. But if you start with a small image (500x332) you will end up with an even small image if you change it to 300dpi. If you want the quality to be perfect at 300 dpi, the biggest your image will be is 1.6 inch x 1.1 inch (about 4 x 2.8cm). You can try and resize it in Photoshop but it will not be perfect since it uses rather complex algorithms to fill in the missing data whenever you resize an image, in a sense in tries to fill in what information it thinks should be in the image.

Also if you are printing a real magazine, all up the printer and ask them. Some of them print in 150 dpi so you might be able to get away with a slightly larger image, of course 300 would still be recommended...

But really, I don't understand some parts of your original post... Where did you get a 61dpi image? Why did you end up with a 348x348px image? Did you crop it or is your new TIF image now all warped? Please provide some more details as to what you are trying to accomplish and if possible post a sample.

eruct, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  4. picture_element

picture_element Peon

Best Answers:
    The short answer for your question above is YES!
    But please don't expect a good image quality. I am wondering if where in the web did you get that 61 dpi image. As far as I know, the lowest resolution you can find on the web is 72 dpi and mostly are jpeg or png format. If you have downloaded the pic as jpeg there's no sense in converting it to tiff for mat as it won't improve the image quality. If you print that 348 x 348 pixel image at 300 dpi I think you can get a 1.16 x 1.16 inch image.
    You can upsize it a little with photoshop though while losing of course some image quality.
    Try upsizing by 10%, doing it 2 or 3 times and see if the image is still acceptable to you.

picture_element, Jun 15, 2009 IP