1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by resting, Jun 21, 2009.

I'm new to php and currently building a CMS.
    I'm wondering if its right to store the whole chunk of paragraph into a field?
    And, how do we get formatted text (bold, italics, breaks etc) into the database?

Can Joomla be used to build my own CMS system from scratch? That is, with my own layout and requirements.

Please help :)

resting, Jun 21, 2009 IP
  2. Obulus

Obulus Peon

Best Answers:
    If your building one from scratch.. using Joomla isnt doing that?

You couldnt class it as your own CMS if you just used Joomla and made a theme for it ^^

Goodluckk...

Obulus, Jun 21, 2009 IP
  3. resting

resting Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is way too powerful and complex for my requirements.
    I only need a small portion of its power :)

resting, Jun 22, 2009 IP
  4. Johnnymoney

Johnnymoney Peon

Best Answers:
    In Drupal you store the whole HTML code of the paragraph into a field, so you could do the same, but of course your system needs a way to interpret that code when it retrives it from the DB and wants to display it on screen.

Johnnymoney, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  5. mustafaneguib

mustafaneguib Peon

Best Answers:
    hi i can help you inthis regard.

i need to know first how are your programming skills?

you need good programming skills to develop a cms.
    i myself have been developing a cms for a year now (had to stop for a couple of months due to uni studies) and now finally i am close to completing it (the stable version, but a cms is never complete. you will constantly have to update it).

to store the paragraph you use the text as memory in the database field.

formatting text is not that difficult. you need programming skills to solve this problem.

joomla is way to complex for a person who is just starting. it is better you build one from scratch.

mustafaneguib, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  6. daringtakers

daringtakers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Building a cms from scratch really requires knowledge and time. I would rather suggest you use existing CMS like Drupal, there's nothing that drupal can not do, if you need a specific functionality you can develop your own modules which is better than creating entire cms from scratch.

If you have programming skills, I will recommend drupal over joomla.

daringtakers, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  7. resting

resting Peon

Best Answers:
    well, i do have the basic programming skills of how to get php working with mysql for creating,adding,deleting and editing records. i do know how to display contents from database to a website.

but thats for only 1 user for simple use. and i had trouble getting tinymce to work too.

so i was thinking if i could make use of existing open CMS and modify it for my own use, both front-end and back-end.

i've read a few articles about joomla, seems like the back-end design and usage is pretty much fixed? i think it'll be too complex for my clients who wants a user friendly one.

just want to clarify, when people use open source CMS, they can only change the look and feel of the front-end? End users will have to learn how to use the back-end that its pre-designed for?

resting, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  8. pod

pod Peon

Best Answers:
    You can modify the front and back end to your hearts content, usually you just need to leave the comments in the head of the code pages to comply with most open source licenses.

If I were going to fork an existing CMS and call it my own I would start with XOOPS 2.0.19. Check out XOOPS at www.xoops.org.

With its smarty-based templating system, themes and back-end templates, it is very customizable. Module structure is a lot easier to dissect than those of Drupal or Joomla. If you just need something basic as a jumping off point, it is worth looking into.

HTH!

pod, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  9. resting

resting Peon

Best Answers:
    i'd gone through books and searched online. but had not seen any articles about modifying the back-end. maybe someone can help post some links to help me out?

if not i think i'm better off building my own CMS from scratch.

resting, Jun 25, 2009 IP