1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Social marketing - Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by marcusofplymouth, Jun 25, 2009.

Hi everyone,

Is social marketing worthwhile pursuing? I own a website called www.comparebookies.com and I was wondering whether there are any relatively straight forward methods that apply to my site that can be used to:

1. Get more traffic to it
    2. Increase its SERP results?

Your input is much appreciated!

marcusofplymouth, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  2. magoo

magoo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well yes is the short answer! but nothing worth doing is straighforward. If I was you I'd definitely start looking to get involved in online conversations around betting and include your link in your signature. You can increase your backlinks and get traffic while also promoting your brand. Don't spam people though, this will ruin your reputation.

magoo, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  3. marcusofplymouth

marcusofplymouth Member

Best Answers:
    That's what I want to do but finding sites related to sports betting that are do follow seems to be a nightmare! Any suggestions?

marcusofplymouth, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  4. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    Social bookmarking websites could be great for traffic but only for the quality pages and articles which are going to be liked and read by a lot of people. This is a mistake thinking adding all of the pages of a site to such portals and then expecting to be found on the Google's first page.

bermuda, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  5. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    social bookmarking is one of the easiest methods to get instant traffic and in the long term it helps to build backlinks which improve your serp results. however, you will have to do it on a constant basic to get the desired results.

uttoransen, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  6. cokie

cokie Active Member

Best Answers:
    social bookmarking increase more traffic to the website but not always impact to SERP results

cokie, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  7. Jeremy Morgan

Jeremy Morgan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, a decent social media campaign will get you more traffic, and more traffic can mean more links back, which is better for SERPs.

Remember not all businesses can benefit from SM. There are a lot of businesses out there who don't have a lot to say, and their customers don't want to hear from them anyway. If you're selling bags of concrete mix, is a twitter page really worth the time? Lots of markets are filled with people who use the internet very little. Something to keep in mind before spending tons of money and time on it.

Jeremy Morgan, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  8. adresanet

adresanet Peon

Best Answers:
    I think social bookmarking will be very very useful once web 3.0 will be vell know everywhere

adresanet, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  9. Jeremy Morgan

Jeremy Morgan Peon

Best Answers:
    The primary thing people should focus on with social marketing is value. You reap the rewards when you post things that are useful. You have to ask yourself "why would anyone read this" and more importantly "why would anyone send this link to others?". Without that you won't see great results.

Jeremy Morgan, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  10. jondog123

jondog123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I completely agree with this. You have to have something that creates value and is interesting enough that people would send it to their friends and family.

jondog123, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  11. Patricianian

Patricianian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely, And it might one of the fastest ways to drive traffic to your website beside of PPC ;)

Patricianian, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  12. sam787

sam787 Banned

Best Answers:
    one of the great ways for source of traffic...social bookmarking is really helpful

sam787, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  13. John.

John. Active Member

Best Answers:
    What exactly has your question got to do with Google??

This is the GOOGLE section of the forum after all...

John., Jun 26, 2009 IP
  14. marcusofplymouth

marcusofplymouth Member

Best Answers:
    My site is gambling orientated - how would you go about marketing such a site socially. It's called compare bookies (dot) com by the way.

marcusofplymouth, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  15. techsniper

techsniper Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously you are going to have hard time promoting gambling oriented website on Social bookmarking portals and other places. Social bookmarking is good for creating awareness about your business/website in little time. Sadly many of the SBM portals have started using rel=nofollow for their links.

techsniper, Jul 7, 2009 IP
  16. DimitryKislichenko

DimitryKislichenko Peon

Best Answers:
    Social websites will increase your traffic and give authority to your site only if you do it right. Don't try to sell anything, provide great information or something that people will like.

DimitryKislichenko, Jul 8, 2009 IP
  17. magoo

magoo Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally I'd think about adding lots of quality content around gambling. Just off the top of my head I'm thinking articles about the rules, odds, human interest articles about people who've made a lot of money. You can use bookmarking and press releases to drive traffic to the content and increase backlinks.

magoo, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  18. x.marty.x

x.marty.x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's good for short-term traffic but not long-term.

x.marty.x, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  19. alpalino

alpalino Peon

Best Answers:
    The key to see the benefits from social marketing is to get involved with the social site. There many social networks out there. I don't belive it is good idea to register to all and try to get traffic from all. Just choose one or two and focus on those 2 social networking sites. This way, the traffic you will get much better traffic and you can see the benefits.

alpalino, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  20. avatar33

Best Answers:
    social marketing is amazing in terms of bringing you more business leads and spreading the word about your product/service online, but in terms of SEO and backlink power, it is simply useless as all the social networks are nofollow.