1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a robust User generated content website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by sarpedor, Jul 9, 2009.

Can I build a user generated content website using Drupal or Joomla? By this I am not meaning any kind of forum, I am meaning with the ability for a large number of users to create dynamic contents (blogs, forums) or static contents (video, article, picture) and other users to search them based on key words and possibly edit the contents, rate the contents or comment the contents. A bit of a "Youtube" except users can post or search much more than only videos.
    Seriously, can such websites be created efficiently over drupal or Joomla? I'm hesitating between these or a more flexible framework such as Ruby on Rail. I have heard a lot of Drupal's flexibility, but am afraid to be stuck with limitations going forward. Again, this is a high level view of the requirements (sort of close to "Youtube" I supposed except you can edit already submitted contents):
    - User registration/logon
    - User account management and groups creation.
    - Posting of "heterogeneous" data contents. Assign content to various groups.
    - Searching of contents posted by other users.
    - Rate contents, and comment on contents.
    - If the User belongs to the right group (permission satisfied), User can edit content.

Sorry for the long post.

sarpedor, Jul 9, 2009 IP
  2. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can do pretty much everything you need with Drupal.. i've built what is effectively user-generated content-site all on Drupal.. You can read about the process i went through in my (free) eBook i published in my blog a while back - but basically, unless you're some kind of PHP/Ruby God, Drupal might be a better choice..

Tearabite, Jul 10, 2009 IP
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You said you do not want a forum?

But here you say you do want a forum?

It sounds like you need something like vbulletin, with the vbulletin blog installed. Or something like wordpress multi-user (Wordpress MU).

~kev~, Jul 13, 2009 IP