1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to correctly do social bookmarking to be on first page(digg/stumbleupon/etc)

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by competent123, Aug 3, 2009.

A majority of people do not get social bookmarking; they just don’t. Their first glimpse of a new way to market their business gets them all excited like a kid chasing an ice cream truck drooling, but at the same time like the ice cream man with dollar signs in his eyes ready to charge them $5 for a push-up . So what do they do? They submit crap! Or, they submit half-way decent content the wrong way. At the end of the day, it just looks poorly on their business (especially to the parents of those poor kids).

Here are some great examples:

What the hell are these titles about? I laughed so hard at this that I took the time to print the screen (which is more time than people will spend clicking the link to their actual site)! Don’t ever put your damn domain name or URL in your title!

[​IMG]

Along with the crappy title, look at the domain! Wow, that looks spammy. Let’s – see – how – many – hyphens - we – can — use – when – purchasing – a – domain! The digg community is very critical on where submitted content comes from. You can always set up a micro site with an attractive domain and 301 it later, smart guy; if it takes off.

[​IMG]

SEO? Pshaaa! Good luck. The digg community hates everything and anything related to “SEO.”

[​IMG]

Title is a bit bland, but this submission would have a better chance if there was a thumbnail.

[​IMG]

{ Dp only allows 4 images in a post, so i have to post rest of it in second post, please dont' give infraction for that. it is NOT bumping}

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    competent123, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Continuing from last post.

This description is not compelling and is in multiple languages. Try to be short and concise with your descriptions.

[​IMG]

ALL CAPS LOCKS SUCKS! Do not capitalize every letter in your title. I get it… you are TRYING TO GET MY ATTENTION. But doing it like this will only get you so far with me. I know what I am looking for, and it isn’t YOU (It’s especially not OK to think that JT is an exception)!

[​IMG]

This is sooo bad! Wow. Do I have to tell what is wrong with this?! Only submit content that people might find compelling. Not sure if someone is looking for a new corner to venture to, or if they just got dumped; about 6 million people in China just don’t care, and neither do I.

[​IMG]

Moral of the story. When submitting your content to digg or any other social bookmarking site, please, PLEASE (see the caps? Only use it to exaggerate) remember the following:

* Write rich and compelling titles.
    * Do not put your domain name or URL in your title
    * Beware of the domain name you are submitting your content from. If needed, build a micro site and 301 it later.
    * Do not submit “SEO” stories. Use sphinn for that!
    * Get an eye grabbing thumbnail for all submissions.
    * Make your descriptions short and to the point (preferably in one language).
    * Do not capitalize every letter in your title.
    * Most importantly– only submit content that people might find compelling and useful!

competent123, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  3. Fracisc

Fracisc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very interesting. However, your posts title is "How to correctly do social bookmarking to be on first page(digg/stumbleupon/etc)", but you are telling us how NOT TO do it. :)
    Maybe you can focus a bit on how to do it better and how to get to the 1st page.

Fracisc, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  4. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    These are great things to avoid, thanks for sharing them

zurpit.com, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  5. coolamazer

coolamazer Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice tips. I would like to add that being a power user in the community helps. Without good relationship among users dont even imagine that you can make it to front page of DIGG even if you pay 1000 people to digg it. The story will soon be buried.

Also do not expect marketing, SEO (As you mentioned use sphinn) and such themed pages to get to the top on DIGG.

Most of these social media site users are causal surfers and do not expect any sales to be made from their visits. they are just there to read about whats going to happen and not to spend money on another "make money for free" product

coolamazer, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  6. SunstarShop

SunstarShop Peon

Best Answers:
    I have read the whole post, and if i DO NOT do what you said,whether my digg come to the first page?

SunstarShop, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  7. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The short answer is no. The quality of your submission is only part of the process as it improves your chances of getting there.

qazu, Aug 4, 2009 IP