1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can the Gimp be used to make banners?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Ckrismoney, Mar 18, 2009.

I want to download the Gimp but I want to make sure it can make everything I need. Can it make banners, logos, and websites?

If you use The Gimp for any of these things can you share you work with use.

I here people say they use Gimp but they never show an example. :confused:

If you use Gimp please show us some work of yours.
    Thanks! :D

Ckrismoney, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  2. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    I use GIMP all the time, but what would I show that would give away it's usefulness? It's simlar but different to photoshop, and for hundreds of dollars less.

I bought photoshop, but I still use the GIMP all the time because there are some things it does better.

As for logos, all logos MUST be created as a vector file, which means using either Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape.

Luckily enough for you, Inkscape is free and wonderful and available at inkscape.org

So I don't see why you need examples of GIMP, you do the same looking stuff as photoshop....

innovati, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  3. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why not. You can create all kind of still images that you are doing in photoshop.

karthimx, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  4. Vector

Vector Banned

Best Answers:
    It sure can phiotoshop is the better choice

Vector, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  5. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    Photoshop isn't the better choice, if it was so much better than the GIMP, why do I still use the GIMP on an almost daily basis (in addition to Photoshop)?

The answer is because they aren't clones of each other - there are things Photoshop does well, even better than the GIMP, and there are things that the GIMP does that Photoshop cannot do. If you already have Photoshop it costs you *nothing* to add this wonderful tool to your toolbox, and if you don't have photoshop you can sure find the GIMP very very useful, even though there are a few things Photoshop does better.

I'd say there's a 95% overlap in capabilities, so gettin 95% of Photoshop for free is quite a deal. Or on the other side, the remaining 5% that Photoshop has that GIMP doesn't is still worth the money alone, even if you've already got the GIMP.

Both are great well-written pieces of software, but there's another distinct advantage of the GIMP: Cross-platform. I mean, even if you were to pay for Photoshop, can you run it on Linux? BeOS? SkyOS? Solaris? Unix? The answer is no - Photoshop is only made for Windows and Mac. Yeah, while this may work for most folks, if you *do* happen to use other operating systems (as I do, I use Ubuntu Linux) then GIMP is the only option, for any money!)

It's entirely possible for a profersssional designer to do pro work using GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus and have no *need* to buy Adobe Creative Suite. It's also possible for a designer to slip by with Adobe Creative suite and never *need* to download any of the free software. But why not have both? It costs you nothing extra.

So enough GIMP bashing here, anybody who thinks Photoshop is better than the GIMP do ahead and prove it!

innovati, Mar 19, 2009 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  6. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    For commercial work, then yes.

But, if you're just making a logo for your own website, and will NEVER need to enlarge it onto a blimp or flag etc... then Photoshop/GIMP is fine - it's all just pixels in the end.

Kerosene, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  7. GekiDan

GekiDan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. You can make banner using GIMP. Like innovati does, I always use GIMP since I started to learn graphics. If you want to see some graphics I made on GIMP, just click on the link on my sig that says "Review". There's a link there of all my graphics made on GIMP.

GekiDan, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  8. banzaibert

banzaibert Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm still pro Photoshop, but I'm not saying I'm anti Gimp. Gimp is good but I find Photoshop easier and better. For logos you need to use Illustrator though, that creates vectors you see. For banners, I still use Photoshop no matter what.

banzaibert, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  9. Ghalt

Ghalt Peon

Best Answers:
    GIMP can do everything you need to do for website graphics.

Ghalt, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  10. Ckrismoney

Ckrismoney Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I gave up on Gimp, I'm using Photoshop CS4 and it's great for all kinds of projects.

Ckrismoney, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  11. shadowkami

shadowkami Guest

Best Answers:
    I've played with both GIMP and Photoshop for a while. I find photoshop to be quite cooler and easier to use in my opinon. I've pretty much have a love affair with the magnetic lasso something GIMP doesn't have. I've used to make signatures and banners all the time with GIMP, so yes, it's possible.

shadowkami, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  12. stampavideo

stampavideo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sure, just like blender does everything needed for 3d. Don't get me wrong, free software is great, but actually using it in production rarely pays off. IMHO, of course!

stampavideo, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  13. russell2g

russell2g Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it can, i still use photoshop though...

russell2g, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  14. GekiDan

GekiDan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used GIMP for almost 2 years and I can say that it can make anything for your graphic needs.
    Take a look at the banner on my blog, it was made using GIMP.

GekiDan, Aug 21, 2009 IP