1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get new members to a new social networking site?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by n3o7, Sep 11, 2009.

Hi guys, I have a social networking site, and I have it for over 6 months already, and I'm stuck at 3000an plus members.

For you guys who have social networking sites, how do you get new members without paying too much on google adwords? I have spent too much money on it and unable to afford it no more :(

do I need to change my site design? or should I offer cash to get more members?
    suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks.

oh, sorry, almost forgot, here is my networking site:

http://indonewyork.net

n3o7, Sep 11, 2009 IP
  2. jasonvan

jasonvan Member

Best Answers:
    You may have to join the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) game like the rest of us.

This begins with carefully selecting keywords that are appropriate and that get adequate searches. Then you optimize your site for these keywords and phrases. Then you need to start getting the links (relevant, trusted and probably high PR). Try to include your keywords in the text of the link.

You can start by adding your site to social networking, dating and chat directories (most will require a link back). You may also find that some of these directories will send you quite a few daily visitors.

You might also want to use sites like digg, stumbleupon, reddit, etc.

PPC (pay per click) advertising should only be used to supplement good SEO, otherwise it will cost you way too much money.

You may also want to try local advertising with cards, posters, flyers, etc.

jasonvan, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  3. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Google's Adwords for the keywords social networking or social websites in general although you might have TOUGH competition from Facebook and Myspace. Offer something unique and you will get members because people will come to your site for that feature as no other sites will have it.

Brandon_R, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  4. n3o7

n3o7 Member

Best Answers:
    I have put a lot of money on adwords, somehow, looks like I got traffic but not sign-ups, and that what really concerned me.

At the moment, my site is a soccer social networking site, so I'm trying to gather all soccer fans together in a social networking. Probably bad move?

n3o7, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  5. n3o7

n3o7 Member

Best Answers:
    I used to use PPC (adwords), and it cost me too much money with no significant result. I wanted to do it Yuwie's way, but I'm not sure how it works and the revenue sharing system.

Cards, Posters and Flyers would end up costing more because I will have to hire someone to give out the flyers, and printing out cards or posters cost a lot of money too :(

If posting links on twitter or facebook considered spamming?

as you guys can see, my site:

http://indonewyork.net is made up almost entirely of soccer fans, so if I make a group on facebook to gather soccer fans and ask them to join my site would make me getting banned or not?

n3o7, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  6. lovinglife357

lovinglife357 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can build backlinks yourself for free on forums, blogs etc. it's not that time consuming and it will help get members to your site. Local advertising works great as well, print flyers and go put them on peoples cars in parking lots, schools etc.

lovinglife357, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  7. jasonvan

jasonvan Member

Best Answers:
    You can make your own flyer and photocopy it for .5 cents to .10 cents a flyer. Or you can have a cheap place make business cards for also between .5 cents and .10 cents a card. You could then hand them out at soccer games or sports bars, etc.

Otherwise, you will just have to try SEO. And yes you can create groups in facebook and myspace to promote your site. Just don't start messaging too many people or you will get deleted (I did).

jasonvan, Sep 15, 2009 IP
  8. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    If people can't find it then no new members. If your site is the same or similar to other sites of this type then you need some active members or something unique that similar sites don't have that members will like and talk about. Popularity would help, but it can be tough and a lot of time and work.

gameutopia, Sep 15, 2009 IP
  9. praveenram05

praveenram05 Peon

Best Answers:
    why not try twitter... you might be getting some instant traffic

praveenram05, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  10. BluEditor

BluEditor Peon

Best Answers:
    I used my MySpace friends to get some traffic to my site. Most of my friends joined my site and became part of the active members list. You could also create some of those YouTube soccer videos, and show a link to your url in the vid. You'd get a lot of soccer fans that way for sure.

BluEditor, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  11. imbrainfever

imbrainfever Peon

Best Answers:
    It always hard to begin, but at first stage, I mean, before it becoem a branded one, liek twitter and acebook, u still have to do SEO for it.

And since it is a social networking, so promoting in the other social networking like this may sound like a good idea!

imbrainfever, Sep 17, 2009 IP
  12. n3o7

n3o7 Member

Best Answers:
    I just hope it won't get me banned for spamming :D

n3o7, Oct 7, 2009 IP