1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quote for CMS service

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by buckmajor, Sep 24, 2009.

Hi there

How much would you charge or quote a CMS service? Let's say I built my client a website, and they do all the updates with a CMS, so how would you charge them for this?
    Let's say if I was using an open source CMS, and added my client's website, so how much would you charge them?

I was thinking of charging a service fee of $20/month just for the CMS. Do you anyone have other opinions?

Many thanks in advance
    CHEERS :)

buckmajor, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  2. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can anyone help me please?

buckmajor, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  3. sitesforsale

sitesforsale Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it would depend on how large the site was, how long it took to setup, what type of hosting is involved, custom scripts/design or plugin installation etc. You could charge a design and setup fee and then an ongoing monthly fee for hosting and maintenance. You don't make mention of whether it is for personal or business purposes. You would charge more for a commercial site and more depending on what type of time investment is involved. $20 sounds pretty reasonable if its a very basic setup.

sitesforsale, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  4. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ah yes, thank you my friend. I will be doing this as part of my website business. I was thinking of doing the CSS + XHTML from the actual design, and then take it into a 'An open Source CMS'. So pretty much, I will install the CMS onto the server, then have my client login to their account.

I will provide the following for my clients:
    > Install CMS
    > Add Template (CSS + XHTML) to CMS
    > Connect to a MySql database

True! So are the prices different if the site is a commercial or non-commercial, right? I still got a lot to learn though.

buckmajor, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  5. sitesforsale

sitesforsale Peon

Best Answers:
    Many businesses owners don't know much about the web so to them you are simply providing a website. You need to also consider the training part of the deal. They will need instruction on how to use the site. That might take some time on your part. You might want to consider that in your cost estimations.

6. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    True, good spotting. So how about if I build a manual instruction in PDF e.g. graphics, text, etc? I think this might help my future clients learn how to use their site with the CMS.

7. sitesforsale

sitesforsale Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't use a pdf. Setup a training area for clients and do a series of video's. This is also quicker for you to do.

8. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    ? I'm not sure how to setup a training area for clients, but I might have an idea how to make series of video's (I think). Do you mean, I sit aside a day where I will trained my client into using the CMS?

9. sitesforsale

sitesforsale Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you will need to create a password restricted area. Videos are simple - just do a camtasia and run through the steps with some verbal instructions. The idea of the video is to avoid having to visit clients which is very time consuming unless you factor this into your costs. A set of videos can be used over and over again. If you want to hand hold them the easy way, do the videos and then follow them up to enquire if they have further questions. If they get stuck the videos serve as a reference point.

10. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    We charge $7.95 a month. Instead of building the sites, we offer a number of rollout packages. For example, the software and maybe like 150 themes, a large number of plugins/ modules/ whatever already installed, security fixes, etc. If a customer needs something installed, say a new forum, we ssh into their space, do an install from svn from our own svn server, and install it. Makes upgrading easier as all we do is ssh into their space again and run a 'svn up' when needed.

We cater to the 'soccermom' crowd so we market it as everything is managed, all they have to worry about it the content. (ie writing the posts, uploading the images, etc.)

Most of my day is dealing with checking the software sites for updates (we manage about 70 packages) and requests for new features that we merge into the svn server and then push out.

theapparatus, Sep 28, 2009 IP
  11. buckmajor

buckmajor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that siteforsale, I always wondered how people video captured their own screen. Cool! Now I know what to aim for, so hopefully can create a few videos and make them easy to follow.