1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can anyone suggest a best pligg replacement script?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by techieperson, Oct 19, 2009.

I dont know how many people here used pligg, but when I used it, I ended up having lot of problems and heard that its vulnerable to spammers. I would like to know if there are any other pligg replacements.

thanks
    techie

techieperson, Oct 19, 2009 IP
  2. Garebooo

Garebooo Member

Best Answers:
    same problem with me any one have idea for script that can convert to

thanks

techieperson hope to you the best my friend :)

Garebooo, Oct 22, 2009 IP
  3. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm...

Of course, the first thing you'll want to do is back up your site (database, etc.).

I'd recommend that you look into a modular, extensible CMS for future growth.

Research the CMS options carefully to pick one that really does what you want. Make a list of finalists (no more than three).

I'm almost tempted to tell you to use Joomla + social networking extensions (either free or commercial). I read of people converting from Pligg to Joomla, though they didn't share their methods unfortunately. However, it can and has been done.

Get the database schema of the CMS platforms you're seriously considering and compare table structures between Pligg and the CMS. The closer they match, the better (or rather, the easier to migrate).

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be many current options for Pligg migration, so you may need to write a script that at least copies the table data over to your new system.

Bratzilla, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  4. whiteeaglet

whiteeaglet Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am using Pligg as well. For Joomla, I used to use it but my site was hacked as well. So, I think you cannot prevent them as long as you do not have perfect security. I have no idea how the Pligg works and how to prevent the hackers.

Just Pray.... Hope the Pligg will improve soon.

:D

whiteeaglet, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  5. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Site hacking has a LOT to do with your host as well as the scripts used.

I've been with my current host for, oh, around two years or so now, and I have NEVER been hacked. I keep my Joomla installs up to date, and I signed up to receive the Joomla security newsletter just to be safe. Also, be very careful of the third-party add-ons (extensions, plugins, whatever) as many of these can contain insecure code. There is a complete security protocol for Joomla over and above the core installation, and there are docs online detailing this.

If you run Pligg, Drupal or anything else, it's still the same process. You as the webmaster MUST be on top of your game at all times. It IS a job, make no mistake about that.

I was only hacked with Joomla ONCE in my several years of using that platform (back since Mambo days) and it was because my host at the time had bad security. Again, your platform, your host and your adherence to the security required for your CMS are critical in helping to ensure security. And BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Even if your files are hacked, if you have good site backups, you can get back up and going (or even move to a new host if you need to). Failure to properly keep site backups is the real disaster.

Also, there is NO SUCH THING as something that's truly 100% not hackable. Just like there's no car that can't be stolen or house that can't be broken into, technically speaking. The question is one of difficulty and reward. How hard is it to do so, and what does the "criminal" get out of all that effort? Make it not worth their effort, THAT'S really the best you can do.

Also, DO NOT use ANY platform that isn't being actively developed and/or maintained. PERIOD. You're just begging for it. :(

Regarding Pligg specifically...

I only had cursory knowledge of this package, but have read up on it since I've seen it mentioned on a few forums. If I'm not mistaken, Pligg looks like a socially networked version of Digg or some such. If you haven't built up a huge site with it, you may want to migrate to another platform, though, as I've been reading about a lot of spam and security issues with it. Drupal has something called "Drigg", and Joomla, though Template Plazza, has a product called "TP Digg". Both systems offer you modularity, which allows you to expand your site as you want over time.

The point is, if your instincts are telling you to migrate, don't ignore it.

Bratzilla, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  6. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you try Drupal with Drigg, it has been used by FSDaily, Foxiewire (Mozilla Daily News), DesignBump, wpscoop (wordpress stories), Digg France, Japundit, jeqq (first big pligg site to get converted to Drigg) etc.

bnandika, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  7. nickr

nickr Peon

Best Answers:
    My experience with Pligg was a bad one. The bugs and spam problems were never-ending and support was scarce. I moved my site to SocialWebCMS, a fork of Pligg led by their former lead developer. With his help, I learned how to make modules and put out over 20 for SWCMS users to download for free (they charge for similar modules at Pligg). Unfortunately, progress on SWCMS kind of fizzled out so I decided to take the initiative and start from scratch with a brand new open source CMS called Hotaru CMS.

I've aimed Hotaru at amateur developers because that's what I am myself. Building the CMS is, for me, as enjoyable as using it and I hope others will be tempted to join me. I made over 20 modules for SWCMS and feel that a plugin system is definitely the way forward, so Hotaru is almost entirely plugin-based. Everything from user registration to submitting stories is a plugin.

If you're a PHP hobbyist or a theme designer keen to get into a small, friendly, but ambitious open source community, you're very welcome at Hotaru.

P.S. I've made a Pligg Importer plugin!

nickr, Oct 28, 2009 IP