1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Would You Do With a $3,000 Budget?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Rajaie, Feb 11, 2010.

Let's say you had $3,000 right now and wanted to invest it to make a profit. What would you do with it?

1. Buy a site that's making money
    2. Pay Per Click
    3. Hire someone to build links/site or write articles
    4. Buy advertising on a website
    5. Develop a product

I'm looking for something that's pretty much "set-and-forget". There are a few sites on Flippa that make money by themselves and would probably be a good investment, but I'm looking for more ideas.

Rajaie, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  2. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would buy some content and do a CLIP STORE or a CELEBRITY SITE. That way I know I would at least get my money back in a few months time, and would be assured a profit over the long haul.

I am not going to invest in something where, in this economy, I am crossing my toes and hoping for the planets to align to make a ROI in the short term. I personally, if I was just starting out, would look for low risk investments where I stand a very good chance to get my investment back and then MAKE MONEY and grow over time as I expanded my knowledge and skillset.

A lot of the other things mentioned on DP and other boards like site flipping, PPC and so forth have too many unknown variables for a newbie IMHO. Especially in this economy. They are more viable options for an intermediate who can wait out the 6-12 months for return on investment or have faith in their skill sets to convert sales. Including landing pages, and action words to sell. There are many things overlooked by noobs when coming into the online game, and most simply lite their money on fire.

Good luck chief.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Barefootsies, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  3. wisefool

wisefool Peon

Best Answers:
    You asking which of the 5? I say all 5. Just make a website that has to do with weight loss or something that has CPA offers and clickbank products and is high paying adsense keyword. Use all 3 of those, buy backlinks and buy xrumer for $500ish. You should start to see nice results.

wisefool, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  4. br3adman

br3adman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh i would just use it on some kewl stuff

br3adman, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  5. imburne

imburne Member

Best Answers:
    Diversify your investments for sure.

imburne, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  6. frozzy

frozzy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 10 afiliate webpages.

frozzy, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  7. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

Best Answers:
    I would find a high searched keyword and monetize for that keyword while updating a blog or forum of some sort.

Dragoon, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  8. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    At the moment I'd consider parked domains and Adsense for parked domains and sink the lot into them. Done properly they should start earning quite quickly. Quite possibly, if you know your stuff, some will become valuable and sell at auction. For example I saw PandoraCharms.com had reached its minimum bid price of £1000 on some website or other

1associate, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  9. webfighter

webfighter Peon

Best Answers:
    purchase a well developed website

webfighter, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  10. grandma

grandma Peon

Best Answers:
    I would do D all the above see how far the $3000 would go

grandma, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  11. hkam

hkam Peon

Best Answers:
    i prefer to buy a site

hkam, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  12. zellandia

zellandia Peon

Best Answers:
    if i have 3000 $, i would like to buy some new domains with well research and also web hosting, then write article myself or hire copywriter and buy baclink packet.

zellandia, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  13. Scribe Writers

Scribe Writers Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd split it up between various traffic sources. No reason to blow it all on one thing.

Scribe Writers, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  14. reagent

reagent Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you're a complete newbie, it can be rather difficult to buy or build a "good" site... They all seem just awesome on flippas, but that doesn't mean they really are. Besides, any past returns never guarantee future performance. And like that.
    Who wants to learn something must spend some time and money on learning, it is inevitable. So I would spent some money on books (not e-books), then tried to build and monetize the first (simple) site, then the second (more sophisticated) site, then tried ppc, then tried to buy a site, and so on. And gradually it is possible to reach some decent level of competence in building, running, monetizing and investing in web properties...
    I don't agree with Barefootsies that fast ROI must be a primary goal for a newbie. But I agree in some sense that for a newbie it is wonderful to start with a coach (trainer, teacher) who can show and explain how to do things. It's worth paying for because at the end of the day it will save a lot of time (and a lot of money too). But it's hard to find a good coach who really knows how to do things, and is ready to show and explain, and knows how to teach and so on. It's also important to have personal contacts, not just by phone or email. And the like.

But if you insist on 1-5 -- I would definitely bought a proper monetized site. And 2-5 are definitely not "set and forget"s, they are means to make a site proper monetized.
    Maybe you don't consider yourself a newbie, then I beg your pardon. But in this case the question looks rather strange...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    reagent, Feb 12, 2010 IP
    ravianz likes this.
  15. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good step by step advice

The good news is. You do not have to. ;)

However, I have done many paid consulting gigs, and get contacted by many on DP and other boards asking for advice. The main thing I see in most newbies is they want...

1. Minimal risk.
    2. Minimal investment of both money and time. Max. returns.
    3. Internet riches to leave the day job.

Based on experience, and what I see all the time. My reply caters to that. I focus on, and advise, newbies looking to get into the game on a few areas where they will have minimal risk and be able to get back their initial investment, learn the basics as they go, and start making some profit.

I do not promise them riches, but a minimal risk way to learn the skill sets needed, and make money back on their investment of time and money. Nothing is more frustrating for someone new than spending hours a day plugging away and never seeing any money coming back in. The ways I recommend, they actually DO get some money trickling back in. Which reinforces their efforts, and keeps them energized as well as learning while plugging away.

It takes time and patience to learn what is needed to make money online. However, most new people also need the reinforcement of some sales coming into to show them fruits of their labor. Otherwise, they give up in a few months time.

Agreed.

Barefootsies, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  16. franzbiely

franzbiely Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm ganna buy a property, and make it for rent

franzbiely, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  17. Rajaie

Rajaie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Beginners should start out with things like freelancing, site flipping, etc. and then move on to things that take a bit longer to show results. (Websites, CPA marketing, etc.)

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone! Myself I would spend that $3,000 on building a site (or network of sites) that earn me passive income in the long term. The money would be used to buy links, hosting, domains, paid reviews, high quality directory submissions, link building services, buying articles, etc. Results might take longer to show than other ideas suggested, but totally worth it if you do things right.

Rajaie, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  18. nowimhere

nowimhere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would build myself a big, bad ass email list :)

nowimhere, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  19. uzzy

uzzy Peon

Best Answers:
    buy a website earning good money

uzzy, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  20. grigsdomain

grigsdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    You could always invest it in stocks.

grigsdomain, Feb 13, 2010 IP