1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much should I charge for my services?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by AndyCrow, Mar 14, 2010.

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I couldn't decide which to put it in!
    I've been having some problems in working out how much I should charge for my services. I do web/graphic design. I've done some research and I've found that the normal rate for a graphic designer is somewhere between $16/hour and $30/hour - that's in the UK anyway. However, while I think I'm good, I'm not a professional. Plus, does my age affect how much I charge? I'm 14 - and as soon as people know that, they seem to think that I should receive smaller payment and, while this is somewhat understandable, it can become irritating because they disregard my work and make irrational presumptions about me. Furthermore, I don't know whether to charge an hourly rate, or charge per image? Normally, if I was just creating a logo/banner or two I would charge $10 - $15 per image, but if I was going to be doing some more long-term work then I think I should probably charge an hourly rate. Based on my work (which you can see here: Portfolio), how much do you think I should charge per image or per hour? Note that I designed that site myself, so the logo is a work of mine as well. Thanks a lot!

-Andy

AndyCrow, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  2. fulamax

fulamax Peon

Best Answers:
    As a customer, I would love if you can give a lower rate :)

fulamax, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  3. AndyCrow

AndyCrow Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean hourly? Because at the moment, I have no idea what i'd charge hourly. I was thinking £5/hour which is about $7.60. Is that reasonable?

4. fulamax

fulamax Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that is reasonable and charged by hour is much better unless the customer request something else

Once you have got a list of client and build your network then its time to reconsider it IMO.

I believe that once you have a reputation/recognition you should get what you deserved or perhaps much more than that

fulamax, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  5. AndyCrow

AndyCrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I see. Thanks :) I'm having problems building a network though - I can't seem to find anyone! In-fact, I really don't know where to look for more contacts. Any suggestions?

Edit: Another think - what if a customer just wants me to make a banner and I can get it done in 30 minutes? Then I'll only be getting £2.50 or $3.80 for one piece of work, which probably isn't worth it. Thanks.

6. fulamax

fulamax Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this forum can give you a start for building a network :) try check at the BST thread

Mixed it around then, if you know you can completed it lower than an hour, charged a sum of amount compare than hourly rate.

As for hourly rate is suitable for a bigger project(where sometime people scared when seeing a NICE SO MANY ZERO IN A DIGIT ;P) or projects that you not quite sure how long its gonna take

fulamax, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  7. AndyCrow

AndyCrow Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a forum, but again I'm finding it hard to get members. I really need a way to drive traffic to my site - but I don't have large sums of money to spend on adwords.

8. toycat

toycat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As someone who used to do all their graphic buying for the cheap yet effective method, here is my advice.

Don't charge by the hour, have something like per image, for a certain size. eg, $5 for a 460x60, $8 for a 800x200.

Give out some reviews or have a portfolio first.

toycat, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  9. fantasycreative

fantasycreative Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey,

My first piece of advice would be to remove google ads from your portfolio, it looks terribly unprofessional and like you're only here to make money. Clients like to work with
    people who are good at what they do, and having a true passion for it is one way of improving quickly and putting yourself out there in a very positive manner. Money is a
    by-product of creating beautiful imagery.

Secondly, you should always charge what you believe your time is worth and stand your ground. The worst thing I've ever done in this industry is drop my price considerabley
    just to land that project I wanted so badly. It always turned out to be more trouble than it was worth after I lowered my rate. If people like you and your work then they'll
    pay your price.

Hope to have helped somewhat :)

fantasycreative, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  10. thecollective

thecollective Peon

Best Answers:
    Ideally you should be charging around $10 per hour for any website and internet marketing related services. Thats the nominal charge across the board.

thecollective, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  11. Asif1

Asif1 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes i agree with you thecollective, because being a newbie you will not be paid that high.

Asif1, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  12. fantasycreative

fantasycreative Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree with thecollective greatly, that is not the nominal charge across the board at all.

fantasycreative, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  13. nellement

nellement Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fantasycreative : I 100% percent agree with you!NEVER work for lower price just because you want that project badly NEVER!!!
    Many designers here on DP are selling themselves for 5 usd for logo,It's very embarrassing for our profession,but of course if designers skills are low than he must charge lower that's for sure.

thecollective:
    A totally disagree with you 10$ per hour thats ultra low,thats far away from ideal my friend :)

nellement, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  14. fantasycreative

fantasycreative Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not so much about being ideal as opposed to being realistic. Would a lawyer sell their services for $10/hour, or would a financial advisor do the same? The only difference between designers and lawyers is the nature of the work, we are all still professionals, creative or not.

fantasycreative, Mar 16, 2010 IP
  15. SeoMastero

SeoMastero Peon

Best Answers:
    Do a bit research in the forum what others offering and quote a little low and then also take the money after the work from trusted buyers, give some reviews..just you need to build reputation thats it..later you can charge according to the work with ur profits, but always keep in touch with clients, offer them discounts...like these we can implement different strategies to get more orders :)

SeoMastero, Mar 16, 2010 IP