1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wether sell and buy website or domain profitable ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mt33, Mar 9, 2010.

hi

I would like to know how is the business sell and buy website or domain ?

how much is it profitable ?!

thanks

mt33, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  2. Pavol

Pavol Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. There are auctions sites like Sedo.com that works kind of like ebay for domain auction (BTW, you can sell and buy domains on Ebay too). Profitability depends on many factors, and often, what you think is a great domain may prove to be a completely unsellable domain. But basically, a generic word domain names go for a lot of money, so do 3 and 4 letter domains.
    As for selling a complete web site, I guess it's like any other business - you look at traffic, profitability, location (on Google).... and that determines the overall price.

Pavol, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  3. mt33

mt33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    business buy and sell domain is better or websites ?

please everyone has advice let me know

thanks

mt33, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  4. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Buy domain more profitable coz if you buy website you need to pay for webhosting.
    If only buy domain,then you can save the cost.

mentos, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  5. bluesuccess

bluesuccess Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah i agree with mentos.
    Its easy to sell domains rather than websites... u can easily manage domain selling business for website selling business u will need much time and efforts to manage and handle it...!!

bluesuccess, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  6. mt33

mt33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well , if i buy a PR3 domain then parked it , which one is more profitable ? Parked domain or buy domain !

mt33, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  7. mt33

mt33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    selling and buying domain doesn't need skill !

mt33, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  8. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You seem like a newbie. As with any business, at lowest level, you are right domaining (i.e. business of buying and selling domains) does not require much skill but at lowest level you will be making peanuts ($x to $xx per mth) and you still have to keep your full time job.
    At higher level of domaining, it is more sophisticated from using certain software and analysis of trends and management of resources. :)

tradester, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  9. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Depends on what your understanding about "selling websites" is.
    If that means domains are included with each website then obviously higher profits can be potentially achieved by selling a complete package (domain + website) rather than undeveloped domain names alone.

As far as hosting costs are concerned, a $7/month should be able to handle all your temporary hosting needs while in this business.

Clive, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  10. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Both can be profitable but of course you can still make money out of it if you know what you are doing

you don't need much space for most sites so hosting costs are not high in most cases

Sensei.Design, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  11. subtle

subtle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Not true at all. People believe that investing in domains is "easy" and "simple". FALSE. I cannot tell you just how many newbies I have seen on domain name forums such as NamePro's who have registered new domains and get them appraised by professionals, only to realise that they have wasted $10 on reg fee. I see names like "OnlineMarketingWebsiteThatWillMakeYouMillions.com". You cannot expect to register a domain name and resell it instantly for a profit. The absolute majority of valuable domain names have already been registered.

If you want to turn a significant profit you have to have the money to invest in a good name (already registered), pick the right time to buy, right time to sell, look at the domain stats, when it was reged, do background research etc. Sure you might register a name that someone really wants and sell it that way, but the chances of that are low.

In regards to mento's comment, yes you have to pay for web hosting, if you are investing in a website, making improvements to it etc, and then reselling for a profit, the $3.99 you are paying for hosting each month should be the last thing you are thinking about it. You should be adding A LOT more value to the site than $3.99 per month.

I am in no way and expert in domain name reselling, but I have been involved in it enough to know what i'm doing. I have learnt the hard way within this industry.

subtle, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  12. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When you say, "buy & sell website", are you talking about flipping sites for profit???

Barefootsies, Mar 15, 2010 IP
  13. mt33

mt33 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no , I mean about this business no particular website like flippa

mt33, Mar 15, 2010 IP