1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Video Hosting - Server Bills

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ashfield212, Mar 22, 2010.

Hello there,

Basically I've been developing a website for around two months now and shortly it will be ready to go live to the public. One of it's features is a video upload service, now I've never hosted this type of website before in my life so I'm learning as I progress.

My main concern is the server hosting. Do I opt for a dedicated server straight away, or start on shared hosting then move to a dedicated server once required?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

ashfield212, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  2. Arttu

Arttu Member

Best Answers:
    Usually you are not allowed to host videos on shared hosting. I recommend you to get a VPS.

Arttu, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  3. nowimhere

nowimhere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never heard of such a thing.

I host video's on my account am I'm pretty
    sure its shared hosting.

nowimhere, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  4. PsyHost

PsyHost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depending on your hosts TOS/bandwidth limits, shared hosting may not be the best way to go.
    I would personally opt for a VPS to begin with, or just go straight for a Dedicated Server if you feel you will have the need for it.

PsyHost, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  5. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a video veteran I can say that you will run into a TON of issues with shared hosting for video. I would highly suggest a VPS to start out with.

dragons5, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  6. dan213

dan213 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with previous replys. I suggest going with a VPS as shared hosting will bring a great deal of issues for you.

dan213, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  7. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    don't think "ill start with VPS and move up to dedicated as I make more $$$"

the problem with video is no one makes money in just video hosting, if you're just a video host expect high upfront cost with minimal returns.

dragons5, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  8. adamgrokov

adamgrokov Guest

Best Answers:
    You should start small and not invest up front big $. Shared hosting is fine..just make sure to familiarize yourself with TOS.

adamgrokov, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  9. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed.

Even if you have a dedicated box, some web hosting companies have other stumbling blocks that come into play for high bandwidth or traffic sites. I would say this to you, make sure you get a good host and read over their T.O.S..

A lot of web hosts will not allow a big video/tube type of site. They do not come out and specifically 'say' that. But when you get into the limits on resources, or how you use them, then you will start to see how they get you.

That said, I would start with semi-dedicated, and then move to dedicated when you need it. Most people pay for way more bandwith, and hosting costs, then they truly need. Whether it is just because of some 'special' or an upsell 'sweet deal'.

Finding the right hosting and right price is a science.

Barefootsies, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  10. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure I read an article a while ago about hosting such sites. You will want a dedicated server(s) for sure. Hosting videos takes a lot of space and bandwidth.

mezner, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  11. khaled111

khaled111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I say VPS as a first step.

khaled111, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  12. abbiati50

abbiati50 Member

Best Answers:
    do not go for share hosting !!!!

as soon your site hit the limits (which are pretty low) - it will be suspended !! - they do not care if your site is offline or not - they just shut it and that is that !!!

abbiati50, Mar 28, 2010 IP