1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

website tech savvy company

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mezner, Apr 1, 2010.

I am thinking about starting a website selling my skills and knowledge. I believe I have an excellent grasp of coding AND designing websites, how to gain traffic revenue and build marketing campaigns. I could even be provided as a webmaster to my customers websites.

My question is, has anyone actually went through with something like this? Did you run into any unexpected troubles? I really would like to start using my skills purposes other than my own, but not sure if its really worth doing.

mezner, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  2. nobodyok

nobodyok Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You won't know until you try it :)

nobodyok, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  3. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the thing is IF I do this, I will want a small team of freelancers with me to help out. Even though I would consider myself well rounded, I would like to have a talented designer. I can do some decent designing, but I want to bring some more professionalism to the table. The problem is I don't want to get anybodies hopes up or waste their time. I know I should still try it out anyways, but looking for any words of wisdom that I should hear.

mezner, Apr 1, 2010 IP
  4. lahsiv

lahsiv Peon

Best Answers:
    Just you have open website and rest you will learn spontaneously.

lahsiv, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  5. joshvelco

joshvelco Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have the skills your profess to, you'll have no trouble.
    I too am also in the process of starting a new business selling web solutions.

joshvelco, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  6. jinmin

jinmin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe there is a demand for your service. Try to market in simultaneously on and off the net...I think it's a good business.

jinmin, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  7. Ross L

Ross L Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not start off small with just you doing the work and when there is more of a demand for your company, then you take on freelancers? This will prevent you getting anyone's hopes up and on the off chance it fails, you haven't let anyone down :) Also, nobody has to know your a one man band when you start-up ;)

Best of luck with your venture :D

Ross L, Apr 2, 2010 IP
  8. hackrepair

hackrepair Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Well, like someone else said, the best time to start is now. I've been in the web hosting business for 13 years, virtually 24/7 (ok, I took a break for my honeymoon which lasted a few days once...).

That said, start by building out your website using any of the ready made blog applications your host offers (wordpress or Joomla). Then build out your Facebook page, which links back to your web site and vica versa. Get those friends! (hint-hint-hint).

Next, start lurking in the forums.
    Pick up your tips and an occasional lead in the forums (it's cheap and can be rewarding-- oops, the secret of why many of us are here. :)

Your family and friends are your first best place to start plying your wares.
    Leverage your job if possible and take on some of the small jobs you may find posted in the job sites (people looking for cheap or near free labor aren't so picky).

Build up a bunch of these little projects to build your testimonials list.
    Concentrate on testimonials. For your first year, your sole purpose in life is the getting of good references (hint-hint-hint).

The rest is up to you.

Best Wishes,
    Jim Walker
    HackRepair

hackrepair, Apr 2, 2010 IP