1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are some people STILL afraid of paying with Credit Cards online?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Geezertd, May 9, 2010.

We've been running into this problem a lot recently with our price comparison website... a lot of feedback we receive is from people saying that they are looking for alternative methods of payment to Credit Card as they still feel like it's not a secure form of payment :rolleyes:

I mean, if this was 1999 I might understand, but things are so secure these days with all of the SSL authentication etc. etc. ad nauseum... I really don't understand it.

Or do you all think it's more of the underlying fact that when people want to buy certain products that they prefer to be able to inspect them physically, touch them, gauge their weight/height/size etc? :confused:

In short, do you all think that there will always be a majority of people who wish to shop OFFLINE as opposed to ONLINE no matter what we do?

Geezertd, May 9, 2010 IP
  2. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, Am too afraid to use Credit card online... i simply get funds from My clients and Ebay and i use it...!

No deals with CC.. but i use Bank to withdraw the money simply :)

Will Use Credit card next Year :) LEt the things be more secure :)

extremephp, May 9, 2010 IP
  3. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    But WHY are you afraid of using your credit card online?

I mean if the site is somewhere reputable, and you have the SSL "Lock" icon in the bottom of your browser, why would you need to be suspicious of where your funds are going? :confused:

I don't quite get it :\

Geezertd, May 9, 2010 IP
  4. tenev

tenev Active Member

Best Answers:
    because i watch TV too often and i see random people with problems? there are some companies that can scam you and take $50 or more every month until you close the credit card, and it will be even legal (coz u can't read the little words..). most of these these things happen in USA as far as i know, they are less in Europe :)

tenev, May 9, 2010 IP
  5. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, You know, Bank acc is secure since we have to confirm that each and everytime :)

Look, the case of paypal, If our balance goes negative incase of any diputes, they ismply charge from Our CC without any confirmations, but they cant do anything if BAnk acc is only added.

So it is simple that i dont want Automatic payments done :D

So i dont add or Use My CC online :)

Simple

extremephp, May 9, 2010 IP
  6. kgrad

kgrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The reason why most people, don't want to use CC is because whatever you say, there are too many scam/hacked/wrongly charged, etc. stories all over the internet. People do not want to take the risk, and are better off using other forms of payment. Why do you think paypal is SOOO popular?? even though they have terrible feedback from a lot of people - Answer: they are popular because they play on people's fear of using CC online, they offer an easy alternative!

Moreover, if something goes wrong with your PayPal account, or any other online payment processor, you simply sort it out with them, close the account etc. But if something/someone misuses your CC, you are in for a lot of trouble handling charge backs, proving to the bank that the transaction is unauthorized, other legal hassles, etc.

So, whatever you do...surely accept CC payments on your website, BUT ALWAYS offer another alternative to buyers who feel insecure. You obviously do not want buyers to leave because you are able to take payment.

kgrad, May 9, 2010 IP
  7. Hearthrobz

Hearthrobz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is still danger in using cc online. Well, even if the site you paying to has ssl or high grade encryption, how can you assure a trjon or malware not hidden in your pc?

Hearthrobz, May 9, 2010 IP
  8. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks kgrad, appreciate the feedback. Are there any other real alternatives to Paypal? My dealings in the past with them have been inefficient at best, unreliable at worst. We want everything to be as logistically smooth as possible for our customers ( our website is http://www.seewhosells.com ) as the whole point of the site is based around efficiency of purchase... :cool:

Geezertd, May 10, 2010 IP
  9. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    infact i am surprised to find that there are increase in no of people who like to pay using credit card. i accept credit card and paypal to process payments in my site and its conclusive that as many as 40% of them use credit card.

Credit card - people are afraid of fraud and wrong charges
    Paypal - people are afraid that paypal limiting accounts.

olddocks, May 10, 2010 IP
  10. kgrad

kgrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know, I too own and manage quite a few e-businesses. I have researched and used many online payment processors, including paypal, paymate, egold, liberty reserver, money bookers, etc. The harsh truth is NO other company works better than PayPal..the masses still prefer PayPal over other companies. In my opinion, and with considerable experience, I can say, that the best combination that works is PayPal + Accept CC directly.

If, you still want to offer customers 'more', then tell them you accept direct bank wires (give bank info) and also, money bookers (its easy to get an account).

kgrad, May 10, 2010 IP
  11. asianguy

asianguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah why not use a prepaid card, we have a card called web card in our country.
    You can buy it initially for 25$ and then topup as you want. For refilling the card, we can use online money transfers from a bank account from the same bank.
    Say you going to buy a book from Amazon, you go to checkout, check the amount payable> goto your banks web site, topup your web card from your bank account>> goto Amazon and pay the amount like a credit card. Minimal risk

asianguy, May 10, 2010 IP
  12. Velshire

Velshire Peon

Best Answers:
    In that case provide multiple options for processing payments. Use them all for all I know as long as it doesn't cost you much.

Velshire, May 10, 2010 IP
  13. ChrisHeggem

ChrisHeggem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Alternative payment forms are popular because online buyers prefer their convenience, savings and security features. Forrester Research reported that 74% of online shoppers prefer using something other than credit cards.

ChrisHeggem, May 10, 2010 IP
  14. slimjim2010

slimjim2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's so simple:

Get a pre-paid debit card from almost any local store (Walmart, Dollar General, etc...) only purchase the amount you actually want to spend online.

Recharge the pre-paid debit card If needed.

You will never be over charged!

slimjim2010, May 10, 2010 IP
  15. ChrisHeggem

ChrisHeggem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think we're overlooking savings. As I said before when I quoted Forrester Research, consumers are always looking for a deal. Buying a pre-paid card falls into the same dilemma as a gift card. If you buy a $20 card, you are spending AT LEAST $20. Consumers end up paying more than they initially intended because they have to pay over that amount to use up the entire card.

Newer forms of alternative payments can often get people more bang for their buck.

16. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LINK

People are afraid because of that news in the link. Ten federal agencies and thousands of companies got hacked. It is a common ocurrence. But remember, that is just the ones who know it and report it.

Blue Star Ent., May 10, 2010 IP
  17. ChrisHeggem

ChrisHeggem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is this unique to credit cards? What is your safer, preferred method?

18. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with this, buying a certain amount of prepaid debit means you are limited to that amount; you can't really offer something for less than the minimum that way.

We will be sure to implement alternate payment methods, I'm just still a bit boggled as to why in this day and age people are credit-card paranoid; then again as most of us on here are probably computer literate we would notice if we were infected with some kind of malware, keylogger etc. :eek:

Geezertd, May 10, 2010 IP
  19. ChrisHeggem

ChrisHeggem Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think trust is another huge reason why people are afraid to purchase online. For instance, I trust buying from Apple... I mean, it's Apple. I also trust BestBuy, Sony and other large brands. I have absolutely no proof that they will treat me better than any other vendor but the brand is very familiar and I feel safer giving them my payment info. A smaller vendor, like ChrisHeggem's SuperSoftwareStore (not a real store), may make people think twice before handing over their payment information. With information sharing at an all time high, brands are established by positive consumer sentiment. eBay and Amazon take this into account by allowing online seller trust be established by rating systems (e.g. I will buy from a 95% positive rating store -- not a 27% positive rating store).

20. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That was not about credit cards, but it applies of course. I can not think of the name of that Hispanic guy who hacked tens of thousands of credit cards. If I think of his name or see it somewhere I will report back here.

The common denominator of those in the link I gave is that most, if not all of them, use Windows. Switch to Linux. Cràckers ( correct term ) attack the software that is more popular.

Blue Star Ent., May 10, 2010 IP