1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are some people STILL afraid of paying with Credit Cards online?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Geezertd, May 9, 2010.

1. Joe128139

Joe128139 Peon

Best Answers:
    For every site claiming to be secure for a credit card transaction, you can find 20+ horror stories about how an identity was stolen online. Now granted, we are much more secure on the internet these days then we have ever been, but the underlying fear will stay with consumers. The idea of having your financial life taken from you and ruined is just to much for some, they would like you said, prefer physical products.

Joe128139, May 17, 2010 IP
  2. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    I find it hard to believe that Amazon itself got hacked... are you sure you weren't careless with your information/allowed your computer to get infected with some kind of key logging software etc.? What was the end result, were you able to get any of the money back?

Geezertd, May 17, 2010 IP
  3. Honore

Honore Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though the website might have security, there is still a possiblity of people getting your information such as keylogs and such. I myself have no problems paying by credit or debit card online, but my parents do.

Honore, May 17, 2010 IP
  4. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    Then is it possible it's more of a generational thing? As in, older people fear it more as they have not been brought up in the same age as we have where the Internet has been a mainstay of our lives for the past 10+ years? :hmm:

Geezertd, May 17, 2010 IP
  5. justkay23

justkay23 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I have had the exact same experience with credit cards online, got my paypal account hacked and it took paypal over a month to close the investigation, luckily I was able to get everything back. But, unlike some people, I know that with credit cards its so easy to do a chargeback, no one asks any questions and you can just fraud your way to the bank by charging back everything. I think chargebacks was one of my worst nightmares for a while doing business online with people who were really picky and who weren't happy with anything.

justkay23, May 17, 2010 IP
  6. JHybrid

JHybrid Peon

Best Answers:
    You got it!

JHybrid, May 19, 2010 IP
  7. keym4k3r

keym4k3r Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some other problems than security.
    I have booked the room in London, and everything went smoothly, but...
    the lady did charge me twice.
    Next day I have seen it on my account, and after a letter to a hotel got the money back with no problem.
    But...
    I may have missed the second charge, fortunately I check the account on regular basis.
    I have lost small amount of money, because the sum has already been converted to Pounds and then back to Euro.

So I vote for any solution, where you can limit the money charged, like prepaid CC.

keym4k3r, May 22, 2010 IP
  8. mrockz619

mrockz619 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the main reason behind it is that , The people are known to the facts that if the details get LEAKED , they are under a hell lots ofprobs , and still people some ignorant about the Good Payment processors for CC transactions , When inputing the details in a secured processor , no need to worry :)

mrockz619, May 23, 2010 IP
  9. Geezertd

Geezertd Guest

Best Answers:
    Glad to see this thread still alive and kicking :)

We are definitely going to explore making as many payment options available as possible. Thank you all for the constructive feedback.

Geezertd, May 23, 2010 IP
  10. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the situation, Credit Card fraud for VIRTUAL GOODS are easily reversal scammed, and guess who takes the loss, not the card company but the seller. It is rare, for buyers there is little fraud at all it is a safe transaction as long as you are not using a public computer.
    Here is a good example of credit card fraud for virtual goods, which basically cannot be legally punished as the goods are virtual: (note: only hurts the seller, buyer should not fear credit card fraud for online transaction)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzQRV7wIY-E

MarTh-, May 23, 2010 IP
  11. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Makes sense.

I was a residential painter before I started building my own websites. I got paid by the day and there was a cap on how many days I would get paid for. I didn't get paid until the homeowner was happy with their house, so I got used to finding things wrong with my work before someone else did. :)

joebert, May 24, 2010 IP
  12. dr.el

dr.el Peon

Best Answers:
    agree to krgard, because many scam that make people fear about payment although you give warranty to it

dr.el, May 24, 2010 IP
  13. lawrence_o

lawrence_o Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I do use on line payment quite often. And yes we do need an alternative way to pay. All the alternatives present today are either not sufficiently secure or too clumsy to use.

Respectfully, you must bu totally stupid to use credit cards on line. And I really mean no offense here. (I am stupid in that way as I did too so...)
    I mean, everytime you use a credit card for some vendor, he stores this data in a database! So the more different webshops store it, the more risk for theft and hacking. AOL got hacked. PayPal got hacked. Amazon got hacked. you name it. In 2009 I saw my credit card blocked 3 times due to prevention by the bank. Because a vendor with my credit card data got hacked. In 2012 10 million VISA numbers got stolen. http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/credit-card-numbers-stolen-10-million-visa-mastercard-customers

Paying by debet card may be safer. But so clumsy. You need your digi pass. You don't always have it with you and entering these numbers is time consuming. Same with cell phone. Not everyone has one. Some have one but it is from work. And when it gets stolen you are screwed.

I did read something about a Belgian company who invented a new system to pay online which would overcome all these issues. They didn't give much details though but they said they were working together with all the major vendors worldwide to get the system installed. It is supposed to allow easier payments which take less time and are the most secure in history. They are currently hiring the world's most insane hackers to see if they can break the security protocols. So far none of them has succeeded. It is apparently going to be the iPhone of the internet payment models. Once it is there everyone will say: why didn't we think of that...

I am waiting very eagerly. As a victim of VISA theft I am not going to be a victim again.

Let's hope these guys pull it of.

Cheers
    Lawrence

lawrence_o, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  14. Postedhere

Postedhere Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it's because of the rampant online fraud/ hacking nowadays.

Postedhere, Aug 18, 2012 IP