1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Very Important Notice to all Sellers Using Paypal!

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Rian, Jun 1, 2010.

Hi Guys

Breaking news from Paypal! More buyer protection are given to buyers using Paypal.

http://www.eworldpost.com/paypal-buyers-get-more-protection-from-1-june-2010/

From today buyers can claim 'Significantly not as Described' when they receive a product that is not the same as advertised. Sellers will be held responsible for all cost.

It is sellers responsibility to ensure that product descriptions are correct and accurate.

Beware, this could cost webmasters a lot of money and losses!

Rian, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  2. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    Trustworthy buyers should NOT have to worry about that, because when we sell a website or service we are true to what we are saying (or describing). Doing work on the web, especially with paypal payments, will always pose a problem with designer and coders. I've sold my sites or done services and then either received payment (and then they seller files a claim saying I never gave them anything) or they just don't pay the remainder they owe.

mezner, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  3. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow this is not what PayPal needs! Paypal needs more Seller protection, it is so easy already to scam others out of virtual goods already

MarTh-, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  4. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with Mezner. Honest sellers have nothing to worry about when it comes to PP's new buyer protection. But on the other hand, I am thinking of people selling, for instance, scripts. Now a buyer can buy it and go back to PP and say it is not what he thought it was.

Rian, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  5. Ryan711

Ryan711 Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that the buyers have all of the power. Paypal needs to create a good balance between buyers and sellers.

Ryan711, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  6. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    What paypal needs to create is a virtual goods agreement transaction. Whenever a buying buys a website, he can almost always keep the files and screw the seller.

mezner, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  7. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well Honest sellers isn't the problem it's dishonest buyers buying the virtual goods with credit cards that are not in good standing in the first place. And what happens when these charged back, the seller takes the complete hit while buyer keeps the virtual goods. It is really hard to regulate virtual good sales such as gaming accounts/ebooks/e-services or freelance services.

Check out this video of a faulty gaming services transaction there is almost no way to regulate this except IP banning after first offense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzQRV7wIY-E

MarTh-, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  8. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good info here.

But from my past experience,paypal doesn't not cover virtual item thus webmaster is not affected.

mentos, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  9. dr.el

dr.el Peon

Best Answers:
    very good info here!!!

dr.el, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  10. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Buyer protection does not hold good for digital products and so for transactions in scripts, websites, ebooks etc. buyer should not look to get favorable treatment from Paypal!

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  11. Justin.Code

Justin.Code Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with a few others,

For sites, domains, software source. ive sold via paypal, if someone trys to file a false claim, paypal pretty much has said sorry buyer but your not covered. the only time ive goten burned is when someone uses a stolen card, and then card owner does a legit chargeback, but even in creditcard cases of chargebacks, ive seen paypal bank refund card holder, but not take my money back that i got in the first place.

i think honestly, for us website sellers, we have more protection then ebay sellers of physical items.

Justin.Code, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  12. juliespaulding1

juliespaulding1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this is already an issue on eBay - now private sites?!?

juliespaulding1, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  13. MikeShanghai

MikeShanghai Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. This is my understanding. At least, until PayPal offers even MORE buyer protection http://i.dpstatic.com/icon/icon10.png

MikeShanghai, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  14. vannarith

vannarith Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think it is easy trust worthy of seller or not as some webmasters are really bad after they got product and they claim the money back.

vannarith, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  15. Maylin

Maylin Peon

Best Answers:
    Believe it or not, still better than the situation over at Ebay.

Maylin, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  16. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was going to make this exact statement but you said it already. I have emailed PayPal numerous times explaining to them that times have change and not everything is a tangible item. We also use PayPal for services and digital goods that are not protected at all.

David26, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  17. slimrider94

slimrider94 Member

Best Answers:
    Just be careful who you deal with but these new benefits for buyers are unfair. The buyer can just claim that they didn't receive what they thought they were buying, putting people who sell designs/coding/domain names at risk.

slimrider94, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  18. devilzkrazy

devilzkrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the information. It was really a helpful one.

devilzkrazy, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  19. lightoffirefly

lightoffirefly Guest

Best Answers:
    Better to create a contract and have a signed copy of it from the buyer showing that he is satisfied with your final product if you are selling scripts, or offering services in any web development area before delivering the final product and after showing the demo of the completed project.
    In this way you'll have good chances of winning your case if your buyer proves to be a fraudster.

lightoffirefly, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  20. Superstring

Superstring Peon

Best Answers:
    I understand what Paypal is trying to do... but in today's world the Seller needs just as much (if not more) protection than the buyer. Graying the line of viable complaints is just going to cause even more headaches.

Superstring, Jun 7, 2010 IP