1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working from home, is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by FavouritesBlog, May 30, 2010.

1. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not quite. Hard work earning nothing still leads to imminent failure. Hard work that does earn, pays the bills. Smart work makes you rich :D

Kraven2, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  2. nab

nab Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, all GREAT answers here.

I started by working from home, I have never had a job (I'm 22). So Internet Marketing is my first career.

I would say it definitely is better by reading all the posts in this thread. And from what I have heard, all say that a J O B sucks.

But I would say that you have to work hard to be successful with a web based business. You have to put in the time and effort.

There are the advantages of working from home, but you still have to work on the PC !

nab, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  3. JR Davis

JR Davis Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree, comes down to whether you want to work hard on your own at home, or work your butt off for someone else!

JR Davis, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  4. nab

nab Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes definitely, but you still have to work hard in both cases!

nab, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  5. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will have to work hard to get paid in any business, on and off-line. The advantage is that all the work you put in is for you, and not some idiot boss with no knowledge, telling you how to do your job better, while he could not even begin to grasp what the job truly entails.

+ while working I get to post on DP! :D

Kraven2, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  6. nabeelarkisdata

nabeelarkisdata Peon

Best Answers:
    we shoud beware however because most online jobs are scams.

nabeelarkisdata, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  7. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't take a job, Create your job. Find a part of the web you are good at, and become excellent at it. Then sell your services, the rest will follow from there, as a kind of natural progression.

Kraven2, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  8. Jontish

Jontish Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That depends on what kind of person you are. Are you a leader or a follower?
    Why sit in the back seat when you can sit in the front seat?

Jontish, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  9. JamesCF

JamesCF Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's well worth it. I've been working from home for about a year. Make sure you can get some work done by laptop and get out the house and work from a bookstore, McDonalds, coffee shop, or somewhere with free wifi.

JamesCF, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  10. FavouritesBlog

FavouritesBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Some great info here, success and failure. very interesting

FavouritesBlog, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  11. mgarcia

mgarcia Peon

Best Answers:
    I think working at home is really worth it! You don't need to commute and that will be more stressful. At home, you will be together with your family plus the fact that you're earning money. You have to have an angle, meaning you can't just plainly do things. There are many ways to earn money in online, by learning it by heart; you will be successful someday.

mgarcia, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  12. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Family can also be a distracting factor though :) Honey! coffeeeees ready (While you're in the middle of writing a kick ass SEO article)

You get the idea :D

Kraven2, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  13. nab

nab Peon

Best Answers:
    LMAO!!! This is so Funny and TRUE!!!

This is the drawback (or is it an advantage?) of working from home!

nab, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  14. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started out working at home for 4 or 5 years, then moved to an office 2 years ago which I like much better. I'd go back to working from home before I'd consider getting a job working for someone else though.

Astroman, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  15. ari12

ari12 Peon

Best Answers:
    i have done it work from home since a long time, almost all my brothers do the same...but with different fields

ari12, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  16. mpluss

mpluss Peon

Best Answers:
    Working from home is my goal and i hope i will reach my hope the next few years.

I'am working from 9to18 five Days a Week and at the Evening and on Weekend i spend my Time growing my Adultbusiness wich i started a few Months ago. I hope i became one Day big enough and earn that Lot of Money so i can work from Home on my own Business.

Yes thats a Dream, But hopefully became true. :)

mpluss, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  17. TheFreelancerGuy

TheFreelancerGuy Guest

Best Answers:
    Working from home has its benefits and its disadvangtages.

TheFreelancerGuy, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  18. Jlownby

Jlownby Peon

Best Answers:
    working from home is great if you can make money... but working from home and hardly making money any money and being lost continually is not

Jlownby, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  19. shashmas

shashmas Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Worth it. You have enough time and the stress levels are lower.

shashmas, Jun 26, 2010 IP
  20. novashun

novashun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ive never really shared on DP much about me or my business - Here is the real deal when it comes to working at home and what your up against: Im going on 4 years of building a 200 site network, still working full time, and I'm not ready to give up the day job. However, the goal is to have a Virtual Corporation ran from home.

Assumptions: You are not trying to build the next Google, FB, or You Tube. Just something that makes you money. Or, you wish to bootstrap to something bigger.

Fantasies First - Lets go 1 or 2 years into your dream:

A. You will build an empire over night (Over night= 1 year or less) that will make you thousands monthly - FALSE.
    B. You can stick with just one niche and 1 website concentrating on that - FALSE
    C. I can sleep in, take weekends off, exotic vacations - FALSE

Reality -
    A. Coffee is your best friend
    B. 17 - 18 Hours a day is what you will do for at least one year.
    C. Ditch your friends, they are all distractions and they will hate listening to you talk about your websites.
    D. Stop spending your start up money on every single WP plugin / Script to make life easier - honestly grinding out your sites will get you further.
    E. Control yourself when it comes to taking on new projects.
    F. You will freelance/consult after your 1st year to raise more money cause most of don't know how to run a budget and you will fail miserably in advertising capmpaigns your first time.
    G. People will tell you - Your business isnt that great and its going to fail. Or better yet, your wife will say something like " Its not even making money ".
    H. You will downsize your dreams in 2 years... Its normal and you will feel reborn - However, keep that dream alive in your brain. It will happen someday if you want it bad enough.
    I. You will talk yourself up bigger than you really are... Sure your the next Webpreneur - Dont do this, You are a one man show - But come professionally represented when it comes to your mainstream site or brand name.
    K. Dont believe or buy into the quick riches - They will only set you back and you will waste too much time on trying to "launch" another dream.
    J. People will say, sorry - your site isnt what we're looking for.

Best Books - Shoestring Venture: The Startup Bible - You should get grounded from Reality Check by Guy Kawasaki - Books are unheard of on DP, too many are too busy buying an E-Book that will make you Millions.

Final Thoughts -
    If I build 200 websites and they all flop - I accomplished something that most only dream about. Im ok with that - cause the money will come later. 2.5 years in , 80 sites built and running - 247 Domains owned. Best of luck to anyone !

novashun, Jun 27, 2010 IP