1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which CMS is the Best?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Jun 13, 2010.

So by chance I saw a video on a CMS called e107. After doing my anal retentive thing, I came to the conclusion that is it not ... good. Then I had an idea: to see if there was a list of CMS's.

I did find lists and here is how they ranked them:
    1. eZ Publish
    2. Joomla
    3. Drupal
    4. Wordpress.org
    5. Movable Type
    6. Expression Engine
    7. Mamabo
    8. Texpattern
    9. b2evolution
    10. Frog

The first glaring thing to notice is that eZ Publish is #1. I've never even heard of it. Nore have i heard of the other CMS's besides joomla, drupal and wordpress.

So the question is, are these the top CMS and is eZ Publish really the best?

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  2. carwarrantyforums

carwarrantyforums Peon

Best Answers:
    I was also looking for the best CMS and the majority of sites pointed me towards Joomla. I began using it and have never looked back. I think I am the Joomla number 1 fan, lol.

Chris

carwarrantyforums, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  3. adnanku

adnanku Peon

Best Answers:
    i just like wordpress.Org, that's best for me..

adnanku, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  4. AlcVitRes

AlcVitRes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tried WordPress, Mambo » Joomla, Drupal, etc. CMS. Last 3 years
    I'm working with DataLife Engine, though. Maybe you could define,
    which type - Open Source or commercial - CMS you're looking for
    and what your site must do, then listing will be more accurate.

AlcVitRes, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  5. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
    well my site is a legal site, so nearly all of my sections on various laws have to be able to be updated depending on a court case. Cast in point a new ruling came down from the supreme court just the other day which nearly gutted your 5th amendment rights to silence. In that case I would have to go back to my Miranda Rights section and put an update with that ruling. And on the front page have a news flash pointing to that update as well, along with a pointer to an article which describes the court case and decision in detail.

On top of that, I need a form page where viewers can put in their info to get a lawyer, and a lawyer(s) pages which I need to insert on the fly, which will also have a form on it for viewers to submit their case info to that particular lawyer and the ability to make new lawyer pages as they come up.

As mentioned above I need an article section that acts like a blog basically. Along with static pages describing the various laws and real implications concerning it.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  6. JoomlaDesigner

JoomlaDesigner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'll prefer to go for Joomla OR wordpress.. Both are the best ones.

JoomlaDesigner, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  7. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is the best in a general scope of CMS' out there on the market. However it really depends what you're trying to built, as all the systems out there vary in many different ways.

Ascendancy, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  8. createdevelop

createdevelop Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Every CMS system delivers different benefits. Whilst Wordpress is the system everyone is playing with these days, you have to remember that it is a blogging platform that also does a great job as a CMS. There are still some issues with security and with adding eCommerce etc. Also wordpress might not be the best option for large, media heavy websites.

createdevelop, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  9. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Generally there's no such thing as "the best CMS", it all depends on what you want to do and how you get on with the platform.

I've used Joomla! since 2005 on an everyday commercial website and it does the job. It's not perfect and the learning curve is steep for design & dev if you're busy writing & publishing lots of content.

I use Wordpress for lighter personal sites & bogs. It's far easier to deploy and maintain than Joomla!

Saying that there are people out there that will say Drupal is the best or MODx or Typo3...

If you've got time to "play" with them I'd recommend installing each of Wordpress, Joomla! and Drupal and seeing how you get on with them :)

Lever, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  10. sageshark

sageshark Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress...without doubt. Its the best and easy to use.

sageshark, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  11. kabalyero

kabalyero Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress or Joomla

kabalyero, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  12. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    I am for wordpress :D :D

KimiGermany, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  13. Anhalo

Anhalo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I ♥ Joomla! :D

Anhalo, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  14. nazar2010

nazar2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello All
    I would Recommended for Joomla CMS only.Joomla is very secured and seo friendly one.

nazar2010, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  15. mahesh2011

mahesh2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    AS a developer i can suggest u to go for joomla
    The World’s Fastest Growing eCommerce Platform
    The latest news of joomla.....

"joomla is going to win the e Commerce software war, hands down. I've never seen another ecommerce platform well architected and well designed as joomla."joomla is a robust e-commerce software application designed to be simple to customize."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    mahesh2011, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  16. jaikanth12

jaikanth12 Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you for joomla as it is an award winning content management system..apart from joomla drupal is the best..

jaikanth12, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  17. techxinsider

techxinsider Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I did an exhaustive search myself for the best CMS to fit my small business design firm site:
    As always it does depend on what your needs are, but I'd venture to say for most small businesses, WPress may fit the bill quite well. But I ended up using one called concrete5.

What I like:

inline editing - time saver for me when you can edit the content, and to some extent layout without switching back and forth between edit and view modes
    built in - forms builder
    built in - backup and restore (this should be a standard for all CMS)
    SEO friendly
    granular permissions system
    version control - really nice to have when you don't like new changes, just switch back to a previous version

Needs Improvement:

- not a super friendly community
    - small community, but they seem to be building momentum
    - more free plugins although some of the plugins there are dirt cheap

I'm sure there are more things, I'm just a bit tired now. But to give you an idea of the lesser known CMS's I've actually installed:
    You'll have to forgive my notes, but I'm sure you can make sense of some of it.
    BEST THING is to install for yourself and try them out. I'll bet quite a few will like concrete5 and maybe some of the ones I've mentioned below:

Advice:
    - list your goals and needs
    - see if any of the CMS meets those needs
    - check out their forums to see how active folks are, AND how helpful they are!
    - check for frequent updates ( you wouldn't want a CMS without any updates at least once or twice a year)
    - go to the forums and make sure you ask questions to see how responsive people are and how friendly
    - check for free plugins that you'll need
    - keep in mind how scalable these CMS are, I've actually posted on some of these CMS forums and did a survey of end users to see if:

a) there were a bunch of security issues and how they were resolved?
    b) any performance issues?
    c) I'm sure you all can think of others to add pertaining to your needs

TRY:
    ---

b2evolution VERSION 4 WILL HAVE BACKUP (+ intuitive and feature rich blogging / cms + strong and friendly community )

elxis (+ strong security )
    jojocms (+ nice admin menu system - no backup )

DUAL DB AND NON DB CMS
    ----------------------

NON DBMS CMS
    ------------

laniuscms (+intuitive + backup/restore - no redo / ver - simple permissions + built in forum + calendar + many features:polls , registration, events, gallery, FAQ, guestbook, etc.)

GetSimple - (+ intuitive + back up/restore/undo -/+no permissions only 1 user assumed +drop down submenu )

pivot - (-not that intutive for categories / archives +blog + anti-spam + backup/ restore -simple permissions)

rubikcms - (+Nice + seo + back/restore -install fucking annoying -simple permissions)

habari (+elegant admin )

pluck (+very easy +for single user; no advanced permissions + single blog only -no backup /undo -simple menus)

quickcmslite (+fast +simple -no backups - no undo/version -multilanguage - no permissions for single user )

Light CMS
    ---------

chyrp (+intuitive + backup via export / import + for simple blog +permissions simple but adequate + search box per admin panel +very easy add on install and management -archives -active forums )

pixie (+intuitive + backup / no restore + wysiwyg editor +permissions simple but adequate +easy theme installs ++ active forum)

wolf cms (+intuitive + backup / restore - simple permissions + single user - wysiwyg editor textile and markdown and image insert is not easy )

frog (-too simple) +

NON DBMS CMS
    ------------

laniuscms (+intuitive + backup/restore - no redo / ver - simple permissions + built in forum + calendar + many features:polls , registration, events, gallery, FAQ, guestbook, etc.)

GetSimple - (+ intuitive + back up/restore/undo -/+no permissions only 1 user assumed +drop down submenu )

pivot - (-not that intutive for categories / archives +blog + anti-spam + backup/ restore -simple permissions)

rubikcms - (+Nice + seo + back/restore -install fucking annoying -simple permissions)

habari (+elegant admin )

pluck (+very easy +for single user; no advanced permissions + single blog only -no backup /undo -simple menus)

quickcmslite (+fast +simple -no backups - no undo/version -multilanguage - no permissions for single user )

BLOGGING CMS
    ------------

single / no customization -user

single - multiple user/ little to heavy duty customization

heavy duty - multiple user / little to heavy duty customization

All-Purpose CMS
    ---------------

single / no customization -user

single - multiple user/ little to heavy duty customization

heavy duty - multiple user / little to heavy duty customization

concrete 5 (+intuitive + nice forms + undo/versions + permissions - no backups/restore)

ocportal (+intuitive +good for forums +backup / no restore + granular permissions -wysiwyg doesn't work on chrome)

modx(+back up +permissions +fast - snippets + complete HTML freedom)
    textpattern ( )

plone (+nice - add users - backup + versioning)

bigace.de/ (+not bad - no backup / undo)

backup see ALL_textpattern folder

EEngine (+intuitive - no backup - no undo/versioning + custom panel tabs + permissions + module management )

websitebaker (-no backup, -SEO is not clear but possible, -no undo)
    silverstripe (+nice interface + permissions - no backup - no undo)
    typolight 276 (-forms) has backup extension

xoops ( )

joomla

CMSMS (+intuitive -backup - undo/version - update)

compact cms (NO INSTALL)

impresscms1.2 (+ permissions - no backup - no undo ) based off of xoops

e107 (+intuitive - no backup - no undo +/- permissions not intuitive but maybe thorough +menu manager + extensions manager + theme manager)

serendipity (+ permissions + intuitive - nobackup - undo + media manager ++drag and drop plugin manager)

enano (-not that intuitive)

exponent (-security issues? check forums)

NO
    --
    raazorcms - not so intuititive categories
    cutenews - security issues
    snews (- NO install pain in ass )
    mojoportal - needs asp? (-admin panel)
    lightnote - dead?

symphony - admin seems nice but not that intuitive - also have to install xslt

mapix (-admin panel)
    Limeware - malware

tikki (-not intuitive)

NO pligg (+intuitive + backup files and db!! - no version/ undo - permissions not granular + module management - no wysigwig for page editor) not pro-user, developer is greedy

techxinsider, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  18. jewmark

jewmark Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I prefer Joomla

jewmark, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  19. softwaretailor

softwaretailor Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the Software Tailor's CMS is the best one, It enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Content Tailor a popular Web site software available.

Content Tailor keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using Content Tailor is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the Content Tailor manages all your content, you don't have to.
    For more information please visite their website: Software Tailor HK Compny

softwaretailor, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  20. The Emperor

The Emperor Peon

Best Answers:
    why did not you put datalife engine to your list ?

The Emperor, Jul 8, 2010 IP