1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a Site like Smashing Magazine - Advice?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by m1ndless, Jul 14, 2010.

I have written many articles and have made many tutorials, and don't have anywhere to put them. I am looking to start a site sort of like www.smashingmagazine.com and www.sixrevisions.com where I can post tech/design related news.

I am not so concerned with making money as I am with providing useful relevant content.

My first concern is if I should name my blog like a company, or just use my real name?

Second, if I ever did want to monetize this blog, what would it take?

m1ndless, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  2. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First off... if you are in the USA you most likely will need a LLC or Incorporation and yes you would want a company name. (if your in a differn't country then register with your divisions of corporations)

You are dead on correct about focusing on content. The money will follow when you post relevent quality content.

To monetize look at programs like - google adsense, possibly adbrite, look into affilate programs for whatever the content is, you can sell your own ads, there is CPM ads like valueclick...but your best to stick with adsense, your own ads and relevent affiliate programs.

Good luck,
    -C
    :cool:

Woodcs82, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  3. m1ndless

m1ndless Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would I need to register the LLC? Would I be responsible for anything other than basic self contractor taxes?

m1ndless, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  4. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im not your lawyer (not that you need one for this) ....but an LLC in particular will protect your personal assets... there are many advantages of having and LLC or a corporation.

I don't recommend getting a sole prop. license.

You dont need any kind of license until the blog (your busniess) is actually pulling in revenue.

Get with your local SBA.gov office if you need help with business...they can help you free of charge as well.

Woodcs82, Jul 14, 2010 IP