1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

At what point do you need dedicated server?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by hiero, Jul 22, 2010.

At what point would you need a dedicated server instead of shared hosting?

(in terms of monthly visitors?)

hiero, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  2. sp360

sp360 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't always depend on monthly visitors. The way your script (if any) works has a lot to do with deciding if a dedicated server is the best choice for you. Of course many things factor in as well, so try to optimize your site(s) as much possible before making the switch. Once you see that a dedicated is a must then you make the switch.

sp360, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  3. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It really comes down the resource management and preference anymore.

I personally like running DEDI for all my sites. I like high performance boxes, with RAID I array, plus back ups. This makes sure my business and boxes are double protected. I also set up my network using different C Class IP and A-B-C link strategies to Google/SERPS/SEO. Again, I prefer DEDI for this.

There are some other quirks with scripts I use that I prefer a DEDI environment for, but one of the absolute biggest and number on reason for me is storage. I run a lot of video heavy, and higher end performance sites. So disk space, and RAM is really in demand.

Some still like going other options, and that's fine. I prefer DEDI. As for "when" to go that route, really comes down to what you are wanting to do, and how you prefer to manage your resources.

/2ct

Barefootsies, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  4. lahsiv

lahsiv Peon

Best Answers:
    If your website is growing then opt dedicated servers.

lahsiv, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  5. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    A large amount of traffic to any particular site could seriously slow down the web server's response on a shared hosting server. This can become a serious headache for your web host if you're on a shared server. If you are and if this happens, your web host will most likely notify you that such a problem exists or even temporarily suspend your site and ask you to consider moving to a VPS or dedicated server. Another thing to go by is your site's stats and bandwidth consumption. If you find yourself having to upgrade the alloted bandwidth for your site on a regular basis because it keeps going over quota, then you're probably beginning to outgrow your shared server's resources already and should consider moving to a dedicated option.

travelguides, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  6. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you website has 5GB of data transfer.. consider a VPS

webbmaster, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  7. jomillergo

jomillergo Peon

Best Answers:
    To be frank, if your hosting files exceeds 50000 files in total or the total bandwidth goes upto 50 gb per month, hosting provider will stop /suspend your account if you are in a shared hosting environment, Once you reach a traffic of about 7000- 10000 visitors per day you can move to VPS hosting, thats better choice and importantly you should know the bandwidth if you have a video sharing website, this guideline will be totally wrong.

jomillergo, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  8. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    when you thick your tied of shared hosting slowdowns, reboots, outages, and account suspensions for over usage or cpu/mysql/memory

if you have a really simple site (no database - static or flat file driven), it can withstand lots of traffic before hosting company will start to complain

atxsurf, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  9. Hermawan.Solihin

Hermawan.Solihin Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Advise...well done mate
    I'm sure taking it in consideration if I have like 10 thousand visitor to my website everyday...

Hermawan.Solihin, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  10. oxidati0n

oxidati0n Peon

Best Answers:
    It's when you need full customization of a dedicated server, however as cloud computing enhances every other week soon enough we will be able to save money going to cloud hosting rather and the aspect of manual dedicated servers will begin to phase out within the next 5-10 years.

I decided to move to a dedicated server when I was earning enough money to have one, and because I'm extremely knowledged on all aspects of dedicated servers it's such a massive benefit for me, however for the less fortunate of the experience and knowledge you will probably be better to stick to cloud hosting or virtual private server instances.

The best way I can point to you, is it's not visitors but it's more like this: website resources used x visits
    Remember, all other options are shared (VPS with up to 10 customers, Shared with up to 3,000 customers) so when using them, you're even more limited. And, also, when you're on dedicated you get the maximum speed possible by your server so it makes life a bit more better to enjoy for the odd nerd (like me!).

oxidati0n, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  11. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    Server resources such as the number of active processes your account runs at any given time, MySQL usage and server load are an important factor when it comes to determining whether or not you need to switch to a dedicated server. Even if you don't have too much traffic coming to your website(s), if your account frequently causes the server to overload, your host won't mind suspending your account temporarily or even permanently if they see fit. If you're unsure of how much server resources your website uses, you can easily ask your webhost to let you know if it's causing any problems or you could just wait for them to notify you if any such issue arises.

travelguides, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  12. behnk01

behnk01 Peon

Best Answers:
    When your damn p202 keeps crashing from using too much php resources.

behnk01, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  13. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure your shared host will let you know when you're using enough resources to warrant a dedicated server ;) Aside from that, going for a dedicated (or VPS) gives you greater control over your server.

inspiroHost, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  14. skodicious

skodicious Guest

Best Answers:
    One of my accounts on a shared server was recently suspended because it was hogging more traffic than its fair share. Don't let that happen to you. If you suspect you might get a boost in traffic, you might want to plan ahead with a plan with more bandwidth or with a dedicated server.

skodicious, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  15. manofwar

manofwar Active Member

Best Answers:
    @hiero: it depends on site load to be fair...I suggest most medium IT biz have their own dedicated box

manofwar, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  16. coolmaste

coolmaste Peon

Best Answers:
    IF you are in shared, then first go for VPS.

coolmaste, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  17. Aba Deb

Aba Deb Peon

Best Answers:
    when your site has grown huge , when ur ram usage , is more , when ur server loading time takes much time , or when u need security and want to use more resources

Aba Deb, Jul 29, 2010 IP