1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HELP: How much should i sell a forum "sticky" for???

Discussion in 'General Business' started by SmashedAces, Sep 28, 2010.

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section, i did try and find the best match.

Ok, so i run a website with a popular forum, and one part of the forum is an adult XXX section. I recently had an email from an adult website owner asking to buy a sticky topic in XXX section for a year.

As i have never sold such a service, or even thought about doing so, im a little stuck in what to charge, and the buyer has given me no hints into the price he has in mind, so kudos to him i guess ;)

Here are a few stats to help you hopefully help me to determine a price thats right for me, and them

Whole Forum Statistics:
    Total posts 500,000+ • Total topics 200,000+ • Total members 40,000+

XXX Forum Statistics:

I recently set up a sticky topic of my own to test how many pageviews it would get, and it seems unique pageviews for a sticky range from 5,000 - 10,000 per month.

ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED.Thank you :)

SmashedAces, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  2. fionix

fionix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You may look into what the competition charge for a sticky, look at forums which comes close to yours and do the math.

fionix, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  3. SmashedAces

SmashedAces Peon

Best Answers:
    unfortunately i have tried this with 3 forums and they all siad either "no, we dont sell sticky's" or "can you suggest a price as we haven't sold a sticky before"

I dont know how else to try and work out a fair price

:/

SmashedAces, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  4. barnakles

barnakles Peon

Best Answers:
    Bloggers often get paid to "review" products - i.e. write an article on their experiences and post it on their site. They may have an idea as the mode of advertising has more in common with this than banner or text link advertising. Sounds quite valuable though even if you offered it at 5c per unique pageview you are talking $250/month at least.

barnakles, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  5. DianeBrandt

DianeBrandt Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like your forum is doing well.... why are you selling?

DianeBrandt, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  6. SmashedAces

SmashedAces Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats a good point, it would be nice if such a person would see this message and let me know there thoughts, if not ill take a look in the selling forums and see what they are going for. Thanks for the idea ;)

Im not selling the forum, im simply selling a sticky topic, which is a topic (or thread) which stays at the top of the forum index, the owner of the topic can put whatever he or she likes in there, and other memebers can read, reply and have input in there.

I never thought about selling this before as the forum does ok as it is, and i dont like the idea of selling out my forum posts to the highest bidder. The best, and/or most recent topic should always be top of the page in my opinion, not the highest bidder!

7. barnakles

barnakles Peon

Best Answers:
    No problem SmashedAces, would be interesting to find out how much you get for it based on your metrics, if you don't mind sharing!

If you aren't inclined to sell a forum post, you could offer them ad space that appeared before (or near enough) to the top of the forum index. That way it is clear it is an ad. Or if you know how to mod your forum software you could change the design so it is clear to readers it is a "sponsored post"

barnakles, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  8. SmashedAces

SmashedAces Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course i dont mind sharing.

I have the (phpbb) forum "modded" enough to enable me to display adverts only in select forums, so this may be an option to also offer them. That way they can advertise on every post/thread in the XXX section. Im able to offer under 1st post ads, or header and footer only though, at this current time. Still, i believe they want the sticky because of the interaction it offers with members and viewers.