1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Flippa Anti Sniping Policy Is Under Review (need feedback!)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by redthehat, Dec 3, 2010.

At the moment on Flippa, there is a policy in place that forces auctions to be extended for 4 hours if a bid is received in the final 4 hours of that auction.

In the past, this has been proven to increase the final selling price of an auction as it makes the site available for longer, whilst interest is increased as the site stays in the "ending soon" section, and places higher in the "most active" list.

Just a heads up, I have posted about this problem at the following URL so that people can get a better idea of how this is going to impact people, and I would love to see what kind of feedback you all have to offer on this matter so that I can pass it on to the guys at Flippa.

http://www.ryantmalone.com/selling-websites/flippa-might-be-taking-away-your-anti-sniping-policy/

Note to mods - Not trying to link build here, just trying to get feedback on an important issue that affects many of us. Message me if there are any problems.

redthehat, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  2. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Flippa sucks, just find somewhere else to sell sites that doesn't charge so much.

averyz, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  3. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    because flippa is the only place where you will find constant , high value sales going through, Not many other places where you can expect people with real money hanging around. The fact that its $20 to list a site really doesnt matter when your selling sites for low $XXXX to high XX,XXX

Rivmedia, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree it is the only place to sell real sites, I just think they suck because they cornered the market and now they the have it monopolized and overcharge everyone.

Maybe someday a competitor will emerge.

averyz, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  5. soniqhost.com

soniqhost.com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    People can sell their sites for free on DigitalPoint, however, they sales are no where near with Flippa brings

soniqhost.com, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  6. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that is cool but like you said it seems like most of the customers there have small budgets.

I really liked sitepoint market place before it turn to Flippa.

averyz, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  7. redthehat

redthehat Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that there are definitely some fantastic opportunities on Flippa, even if it is overcrowded with junk most of the time (startup sites). And 20$ is pocket change if you are selling a good high value site. What I am more concerned about is the possibility that a removal of the 4 hour extension is currently in consideration, which would mean that there would be less bids received on auctions, considering that the final four hours for most sellers is the most active time within any auction. Would love to hear others thoughts on this. :)

Oh, now I cant pass up my roots. I sold my first site on here, and it caught me by surprise! Have gone on to much bigger things though. :)

redthehat, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  8. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry i misread your original post, i wasnt aware they were considering removing the 4 hour laps time for last bidders, IMO this is the worst move they will ever make as the increase of fake bids will increase , sites will start going for less and eventually flippa will suffer as most people will see no point in running the auctions to the end , hence selling privately and flippa loosing out on fees

Rivmedia, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  9. redthehat

redthehat Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers RiverWire, all good! :) I agree also that it is a bad move, mainly for the fact that it is a move that will seriously affect sellers.

The word from Dave @ flippa is that they are seeking a change that benefits both buyers and sellers. The problem that I see here is that the marketplace works quite well as is, and if a change such as this was made, it would very much shift the favor to the side of the buyers, which would drastically affect the number of return sellers coming back to Flippa. As it stands, even though buyers are annoyed by the 4 hour extension, it is working well, and keeping both sides happy, to an extent, but moreso than if the favor was to shift to the side of the buyer.

Buyers will always buy a bargain, but sellers will always look for better options to get better bang for buck. That's my opinion anyway.

Would love to hear from someone who disagrees with me though. Most people here and only blog have been agreeing, I need an opposing side! haha

redthehat, Dec 7, 2010 IP