1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working before receiving payment

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Luckysacrifice, Jan 24, 2011.

I currently took a job from a member who has 4 i Trader on this forum from selling an e-book, The job is to post 200 ads for him on Craiglist and when i am done to send him
    the e-mail with all the links to the ads and then he will verify them and send my my payment, What do you think about working before getting paid?

I just hope that i receive my payment when all the work is completed. :cool:

Luckysacrifice, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  2. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    Completing work before payment is fairly normal however it can be sensible to receive a reasonable sized deposit as a show of good faith before commencing work when you are talking about dealing with small organisations/ individuals

AstarothSolutions, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  3. nshadab

nshadab Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Craiglist Postings...hmmmmm

I am afraid no, as Craiglist hates spammers, and most of the cases they remove the Ads (like in your case, 200 ads).

dont know what terms you have finalized with your buyer....but plz take care...as when you'll send the ads links, most of those would be dead. and buyer will ask for ads or so...

nshadab, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  4. Luckysacrifice

Luckysacrifice Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been doing Craiglist posting for a long time and my ads usually stay for 48 hours and the record is 7 days.

Luckysacrifice, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  5. BigMediaBlogging

BigMediaBlogging Peon

Best Answers:
    Its down to the individual and how comfartbale you are with doing the work before getting paid.

Me myself i would prefer payment first.

BigMediaBlogging, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  6. jessicaloreen

jessicaloreen Member

Best Answers:
    but it depends upon how you like to do work,, but i will go with the payment first

jessicaloreen, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  7. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My point of view is that Payment should be done when work done (of course measurements of assurance to get payed must be taken) but i hate many people on forums especialy expecting to get money before even doing something that's not normal ...

w3bmaster, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  8. CEILA

CEILA Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not comfortable with your working arrangement because you have no power and no recourse in case of a dispute. As someone else said, some of the links will expire before you deliver them and yes, the work consists of spamming. So you take all the risk, do a lot of work, but the results you'll produce CAN'T meet expectations of the person for whom you work. It's quite sticky. (I've been in a similar situation recently and I'm grateful it's over.)

CEILA, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  9. dyorn

dyorn Member

Best Answers:
    I almost never start work on anything without a good faith deposit of at least half of the money upfront unless it is someone I have worked with a lot and know I can trust.
    I may ask for all of it if I have never worked with someone before.
    Most service businesses online work that way. If you aren't then you are asking for problems.
    Ask your webhosting or autoresponder company if you can pay them at the end of your month of service instead of the beginning and see what they say.

dyorn, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  10. ExoticMike

ExoticMike Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the deal, Craigslist will and has flagged a lot of my ads. More so my Competitors so it is going to be hard. But if you set the account up in your name, so you get the notice that the ad was placed and can prove it. That will help and the person needs to pay for each ad place not ones that stay up. Yes make them pay up front for some of it make sure you have at least a crude contract. I work in peoples homes and never start with out a deposit and contract. Too many people want stuff for free.

ExoticMike, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  11. CEILA

CEILA Peon

Best Answers:
    Kudos to Dyorn and ExoticMike! I've made a few mistakes myself in the past but now I also don't start any projects unless I've received at a minimum a deposit. People are dishonest, it is safe to presume that with any client.

CEILA, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  12. Jakiller

Jakiller Member

Best Answers:
    I do all my design projects before getting paid, when the client is happy witht he design, he pays, then i send the files ;).

Jakiller, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  13. DanAbbamont

DanAbbamont Guest

Best Answers:
    Nothing wrong with being paid after work is completed, but you should both know that this plan isn't going to work. CL isn't something you can jump into just like that.

DanAbbamont, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  14. maclustig

maclustig Peon

Best Answers:
    ask for at least 10-20% upfront fee and then go for milestone payment of every tasks that you finished. If your client is really serious enough in paying I don't see any reason why he wont agree. Thats fair for both party I think.

maclustig, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  15. currenz

currenz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is fair to ask for 50% upfront fee if it is a design job, writing job, or any job that is done manually.

currenz, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  16. Ellen1

Ellen1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have never got any Client how pay Upfront payment... We always have to send work and that they pay and Few Client's even do not pay.
    :(

Ellen1, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  17. currenz

currenz Peon

Best Answers:
    You can ask them to pay upfront next time. But first you need to show them you are a reliable person/business and you mean business.

currenz, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  18. CEILA

CEILA Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm with Currenz: getting 50% up front is fair to both parties. That's the only way I work, and I highly recommend it to anyone.

CEILA, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  19. Luckysacrifice

Luckysacrifice Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there's a problem working up front if the member has a lot of i Trader (20+ for me)

Luckysacrifice, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  20. tizzledizz

tizzledizz Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the type of work but usually if it's a large amount of work you should atleast ask for a deposit so you're sure you're not getting ripped off. I've had this happen a few times with clients and it's never pleasant.

tizzledizz, Jan 27, 2011 IP