1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website Worth? How to determine?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by bgroup, Jan 23, 2011.

Hi,

I am looking to sell one of my online assets. Its is getting decent traffic (200 a day) and is making some $$ (but not much).

Now how to determine the value? I used a website as MonsterCalc, but I think these are not accurate, what do you think?

How should I determine the value?

bgroup, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  2. wpconfig

wpconfig Peon

Best Answers:
    Your monthly revenue times 12 is a very good indication. Especially in times like this people buy sites based on revenue, not on traffic.

wpconfig, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  3. feshusband

feshusband Peon

Best Answers:
    12 x average monthly revenue is what people seem to be getting for sites with revenue. But there are other thing to take into consideration. People buy sites because of the name, or that it fits into what they are doing or trying to do online. I know a guy who builds and sells sites weekly and they are not generating revenue. But they are nice looking sites with good domain names.

feshusband, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  4. yenny

yenny Member

Best Answers:
    Apart from revenue a site can also be sold based on potential, you just need to be able to explain clearly the potential of your site

yenny, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  5. bryanon

bryanon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those telling you 12x monthly revenue are actually being a little bit optimistic.

While 12x monthly revenue is possible, it all depends on other factors such as the sustainability of revenue, historical revenue, trends, as well as potential and, most importantly, the amount of work involved in maintaining the site.

The "industry average", so to say, is currently ~10x monthly revenue, with some sites selling for up to 15x and others for as little as 3-4x.

If you share a bit more details with us then I'll be able to take a closer look and give you a more in-depth valuation.

bryanon, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  6. wpconfig

wpconfig Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, 12x is a nice estimator. But for 200 something (what?) per day, even uniques and rev based on some kind of CPM/CPC model, I would wager you won't be getting more than $100, maybe a few $100 for it. 200 uniques are easy to get on most sites with some effort and then it brings some money automatically, but very little, as you say.

wpconfig, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  7. xubair

xubair Active Member

Best Answers:
    It has many factors e.g. domain name (if it is an ordinary one or a premier domain), age of website, PR, backlinks, work involved in maintaining the site, revenue, unique visitors/day, pageviews, demographics of these visitors. But yeah if you want to go for a rough estimate, I'll suggest you to go with 10x monthly revenue. Ultimately you could get more/less than that but it gives you some idea atleast.

xubair, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  8. ashmety

ashmety Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    12x seems to work if the site is fairly operational and making $$$. Turn key is supply & demand and how well you can sell the idea..

ashmety, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  9. currenz

currenz Peon

Best Answers:
    The value of a website can be determined by:
    - Domain: A keyword domain/An aged domain could be worth more than some random name/newly registered name.
    - Content: A site with 100 of unique and high quality articles could be worth more than a site with 100 pages of duplicated content.
    - Traffic: A site gets 500 unique visitor per day could be worth more than 50 unique visitor per day.
    - SEO Ranking: A site ranks top for several keywords could be worth more than the one does not.
    - Income: An autoblog generates $1K per month may be sold for $2K whereas a static content website with 2-3 year proven earning records (from AdSense only) could be sold for more than 30x.
    - Pagerank of the site.

It is to your disadvantage if you value your site solely based how much money it generates. If you have a quality site, you can DEFINITELY sell for more than 12x income (A LOT MORE). How much you would get for your website would depend on whether you could find the right buyer for it.

currenz, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  10. sbogdan

sbogdan Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with bryanon, 12 times is a little exagerated. Usually sites are sold for 5-10 times monthly income, it depends on many factors. Check out Flippa, see what people offer for your site.

sbogdan, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  11. bgroup

bgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the tips, 12 times seems very reasonable I think when you talk about bigger numbers. Some sites on flippa I see going for over 24 times monthly rev, what about that??

Good list currenz :)

bgroup, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  12. jessicaloreen

jessicaloreen Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the shearing but one thing i will add in the above is that in case of buying you have to judge it by your self

jessicaloreen, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  13. CEILA

CEILA Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, there is always one more thing. My advice may - or may not - make you rich, but if you want to impress the buyer (it worked like magic for me!) you may want to try http://checkyoursitevalue.com. (Try it for yourself, first; only after you like it share the result with a prospective buyer.)

CEILA, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  14. Jakiller

Jakiller Member

Best Answers:
    It is worth just what people is willing to pay for it :).

Jakiller, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  15. Safetyfirst

Safetyfirst Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends if you have a average domain and small monthly profit it could go for 5-8x your monthly profit though if it has a good design and potential to grow , it could even go for 12x or higher.

Safetyfirst, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  16. seafrontsteve

seafrontsteve Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem with sites with low traffic and income for any buyer is that it's just a gamble.
    Even moving a site costs time and money.
    If you have got the site up to 200 visitors a day - why not raise it to 5000 a day before you sell it?
    Or has it reached it's limit.
    How many keywords does the site target, are they on the first page of google and how many monthly searches are there.
    An established site with a meaningful number of visitors and regular income is much easier for anybody to value - and you overcome the $25 barrier that Flippa will charge you for selling it.

seafrontsteve, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  17. willowhope

willowhope Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say 10-12 times your monthly revenue, provided that revenue has been consistent or growing for 6 or more months.

willowhope, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  18. f5mtadas

f5mtadas Member

Best Answers:
    I think it all depends how much the website can make per day, per month and per year and how many efforts require to make it.

It is very important how much can it make and how many efforts require to maintain it.

f5mtadas, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  19. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You should never value a business based on revenue/ turnover/ income. You would always base valuation on Profit (revenue - costs) as I could easily blow £10,000 on PPC and only get £1,000 of income. My site certainly wouldn't be worth £12,000!

If you say its 12x monthly why not just say its Annual?

For a basic site you would be looking at somewhere in the region of its annual profit, if its being growning recently (assuming it isnt seasonal) you may use the last couple of months and gross it up to an annual figure.

On top of that you could add value for any assets it may own (eg the domain name) and likewise may have to deduct any liabilities that go with the site. The price could also be flexed if there was a strong/ viable business plan that the new person could take over, eg if you have a site on the 2012 olympics then you could argue its future earnings will be much bigger as the games get closer.

At the end of the day, as with anything that is for sale. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

AstarothSolutions, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  20. rkrone

rkrone Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ^^agree!

also be able to prove that you have the revenue that you are claiming, this will make it easier for people to want to trust you

rkrone, Jan 25, 2011 IP