1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to manage Pen Names for niche sites or blogs and keep accounts compartmentalize

Discussion in 'General Business' started by jpdeanadams, Mar 22, 2011.

Many people use Pen Names and Pseudonym online to promote niche sites or affiliate products. But how do you keep all the personas totally separate and compartmentalize the niche sites from the other blogs where you would like to “brand” your name.

Adsense: According to Google ToS, you can only have one account. But based on the Adsense number from a Publisher you can trace all the website from the same person. What do you do?

Analytics: Same for Analytics, you can also trace all the website using the same Google Analytics number. Do you use separate accounts?

Affiliates: How do you keep separate the affiliate products that you promote with your Real Identity and the ones with the Pen Names?

Hosting: Do you host all of your websites, niche sites with Pen Names and blogs with real identity in the same account?

Email lists: You are supposed to use your real identity when sending an email to a list, even if it’s a niche site. What do you do?

Are you using a company name so that you are not associated with products, etc.?

Thanks for your replies!

jpdeanadams, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  2. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand why people use a penny name, but why would they use a dozen of them? If they do, it just looks that they're up to no good IMO. If you use one, it's probably to just hide your identity, but if you use more than one it's probably just to spam around or spread fake reviews/products.

Just my honest opinion.

Aquarezz, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  3. Kaabi

Kaabi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I did niche marketing, I had a different name for each site. That wasn't for marketing or organizational purposes though, it was just something fun I liked to do. Never had any problems with AdSense in that regard.

Kaabi, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  4. jpdeanadams

jpdeanadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Aquarezz, thanks for your response. I realized with your response that I might not have been clear in the initial post. I was not talking about having dozens of different accounts to spam around but rather to keep two separate identity based on what I would like to do. For example, one using my real identity for blogs that are more important and where I would like to build my credibility and another one using a Pen Name for niche sites, test sites and things like that.

5. jpdeanadams

jpdeanadams Peon

Best Answers:
    Kaabi, when you were doing your niche marketing and that you used a different name for each site, were all of the ads on those sites pointing to the same adsense account? Did you use the same analytics code? Did you use the same affiliate link? Thanks a lot!

6. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't have any problems with that, they're not going to check every name on all websites. And as long as you post quality content you have nothing to risk. I'd use a penny name on all sites, actually. Worst case scenario when everything goes wrong you still got some protection, for example. Combining them is creating a higher chance of getting seen.

When you're doing offline deals though, I would always use my personal information. My boss knows everyone on the net knows me as Nico Lawsons and can see images of me when searching for that name, but if you search for my real name no picture can be found of me. The internet's risks are too high in my opinion to use all real-life personal data. But I'm sure many people don't think like I do. ;)

Aquarezz, Mar 23, 2011 IP