1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If a refund option is offered for an eBook, do buyers cheat and exploit it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Oberon, Mar 19, 2011.

If a seller tells prospective buyers that they can get a refund if they don't like an ebook, do users generally "cheat" and ask for a refund even if they LOVED the ebook?

I'd love to hear some practical tips from those who have experience selling ebooks.

Thanks!

Oberon, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  2. Just Jump

Just Jump Peon

Best Answers:
    This is usually the case, even when the person has gained from this eBook they attempt to get a refund.

Just Jump, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  3. lucccy

lucccy Guest

Best Answers:
    Dont do this!

EDIT:
    of course you can offer a refund if you have your ebook protected, google for " ebook protection" or similar keywords.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    lucccy, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  4. mave863

mave863 Peon

Best Answers:
    Although it can be exploited like that, but most buyers don't do that, only some people will. Just be careful when selling.

Here's my tip: when a buyer ask for refund, ask him why. Usually the reason will tell whether he wants refund because he doesn't like the ebook or because he wants the ebook for free.

You also need to be careful because mostly these type of people will also share your ebook for free somewhere else

mave863, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  5. ArticleCreation

ArticleCreation Peon

Best Answers:
    If it was bought through paypal it was always my understanding that you as teh seller can dispute the refund bc it is a digital product and the seller usually wins in that case.

Unfortunately there are a lot of those types out there who grab the book ask for a refund and then make it available for download.

ArticleCreation, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  6. mygold

mygold Peon

Best Answers:
    It depend on morality of buyer. Have a humanity one never try to cheat, purchasing book. But some are exceptional, who always try to cheat other so i think refund option is risky announcement for eBook.

mygold, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  7. increase2011

increase2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's amazing what people will do to get something for free- even if they found the ebook helpful! take steps to protect you and your ebook but I think in general you will be fine.

increase2011, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  8. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll have a refund rate, how much of that is made up of fraud is unknown. If you're an infomarketer and have repeat refunders capture their IP address and ban it on future sales pages.

Seqqa, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  9. huiz41

huiz41 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes they will and do but many who do find find value in the ebook will keep it and not ask for a refund for it. like seqqa says above, keep their IP and ban them.

huiz41, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  10. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    what you sell just dont refund for good. if some of they get refund then , your ebook will be "free" for they.

fokerss, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  11. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It'll affect conversion rates, I really wouldn't do it unless there's a large financial loss from each person refunding. Rather than just letting them refund try and understand why people are refunding, working on that will lower your refund rate. There's no getting away from the refund rate but a good info product can have very low refund rates.

Seqqa, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  12. andre01

andre01 Member

Best Answers:
    the buyer also cheated if they want to change the book

andre01, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  13. andre01

andre01 Member

Best Answers:
    the buyer may be in the loss if they change ebook

andre01, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  14. ChezBiz

ChezBiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually don't put a refund option for my books. One a week I do a quick google search to see if anybody has taken any of my work. You can never be too safe on the Internet.

ChezBiz, Mar 28, 2011 IP