1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Business Ideas (that didn't work!)

Discussion in 'General Business' started by element01, Apr 24, 2011.

I like to think of myself as being a budding young entreprenuer.

However, in the past couple of years I have tried and failed... a lot!

I thought it might be fun to hear what business ideas you have tried that just didn't work.

I have a few :p

- PC repair business
    - Website design company
    - Blog/Forum promotion website
    - Paid to click website
    - Flyer distribution company
    - Branded usb stick company
    - Audio e-commerce website
    - Music forum
    - Viral forum

And many more! Feel free to try these ideas for yourself and see if you have anymore luck than i did.

Also, don't ever lose hope! For every 100 ideas I tried that failed, I had one that worked ;)

element01, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  2. MH-Stefan

MH-Stefan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had a few sites that weren't as successful as I've expected. I don't consider any of them failures, as I was able to learn lots of new things, get to know new people and inspire myself for new projects.

- Chat room with forum. Not successful, but I was able to learn Perl and HTML by adding new features to the chat.
    - Forum about Windows Longhorn (codename for Windows Vista). Not successful either, but I've met some nice people and became a Windows beta tester.
    - Tech blog, also unsuccessful. I've learnt how to build a site using a CMS and got into PHP.

Never consider an unsuccessful project a failure. You'll always learn something from it and gain experience.

MH-Stefan, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  3. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    iF YOU SCREW UP a WEbdesign Company maybe your not that good antreprenour ...

w3bmaster, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  4. Laychoo

Laychoo Guest

Best Answers:
    Nothing wrong with screw up, as long as there are lessons learned. To many McDonald was an overnight success in the '80, but to Ray Kroc, the "overnight" lasted 40 years of trials and tribulations! ... screw up is also part and parcel of being an entrepreneur.

Laychoo, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  5. element01

element01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As mentioned in the last post, there is nothing wrong with screwing up, that was the whole point of this thread. Being a good entrepreneur is about being passionate and motivated to succeed, not about your past efforts.

I think you should be trying to encourage others to succeed, not just be a dick.

element01, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  6. Laychoo

Laychoo Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, do not give up, but you need to focus on the positive, believe in the positive and take positive action ...

Laychoo, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  7. PPX

PPX Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone entrepreneur fails - what makes them truly committed is how fast they get back up to try again. I'd say if you have 1 of 3 successful and make some real money with them that would be a great ratio.

PPX, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  8. marmal

marmal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anything failed that I wasn't serious about to begin with. All the times I thought "let's just throw up a site in this market I know nothing about and see what happens", all those failed more or less. I might've made a bit of money on some, lost a bit on some. Overall, not worth it. The times when I was serious about a project, when I knew there was potential and just had to get through the rough spots, those times I succeeded.

marmal, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  9. mrx345

mrx345 Peon

Best Answers:
    Two things:
    1) as a said in another post you need to take risks.. one of your ten ventures may become very profitable while the rest will fail
    2) even though you learn something from all you have done and will be able to use it in the future… your ideas may have the second life or you will realize how to use it as a part of another project. For example if you mastered SEO or web design you will use it again and again in all your projects.

mrx345, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  10. techslip

techslip Peon

Best Answers:
    Failure is just part of the equation of life really. Mine was probably computer repair as well but later I realized I was much better off doing internet marketing.

techslip, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  11. Intermg

Intermg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I figured out how to make money online back in 1998 and (to my surprise) never seriously failed since then ;)

Intermg, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  12. jsemi2011

jsemi2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Some years ago, I used to do PC repair in my neighborhood, It's mostly know how to format a PC, install drivers and some free software. Ofc knowing some windows tricks helps.

jsemi2011, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  13. nyc123

nyc123 Peon

Best Answers:
    A person that is just getting their feet wet in any type of business, whether it be online or offline, needs to remain focused on the current industry goals and or objectives that they are striving to meet. What I mean by this is, a person should remain one hundred percent dedicated to what they have set out to be successful in, instead of trying to concentrate on too many different business endeavors at the same time, which could ultimately confuse and discourage an individual from remaining on task with their initial plan.

nyc123, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  14. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You have almost tried every sort of business! it means you should have sufficient amount of information regarding businesses you mentioned above!

Tell Us! any bottom line you found similar in failure of the business you done!

jezzz, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  15. Intermg

Intermg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like to add that you will have to work really hard (literally around clock) if you want to see good and stable results.

Intermg, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  16. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Viral forum is best for you.

jhardy2008, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  17. helen_k

helen_k Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn’t matter how many times you fall. It matters how many times you get back up. Keep trying.

helen_k, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  18. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.. don't listen to what other people said :) keep your head up and never give up. I also have failed a few of the things you have mentioned above too!

Justin_Dupre, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  19. stevewritez

stevewritez Peon

Best Answers:
    All these ideas that you have mentioned could have easily lead the way for success. For any business, Marketing is the key strategy. If you start a business and know one knows that you are running a business then you can taste success. Ensure that you have reached your target audience by various marketing strategy. Let us you are investing $2000 to start a small business then you have to invest $4000 to make it popular among people. Hope to hear your success story soon.

stevewritez, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  20. myfourseasons

myfourseasons Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't let it be friend, every entrepreneur has fallen many time but a true entrepreneur never quit.

myfourseasons, Apr 26, 2011 IP