1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WP Database Deleted - Content still cached by Google - What can I do??

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by spycraft, Apr 27, 2011.

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it seems as if it's the most relevant, so here it goes.

Simply put - my mysql DB which included all of the content for one of my WP blogs was deleted by my hosting provider. For those that are wondering - it was Hostnine. They tell me that there is nothing they can do about it, since they already backed up the deleted/empty DB.

The only thing that I could think of is somehow reconstructing all the content from the Google cache. It is still cached, but I don't know how long I have to do anything before it goes away. Of course, the problem is that I don't want to do it manually by copying-pasting every post one by one... I had about 45 posts in there with SEO tags for each of them as well...

Any ideas?

spycraft, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  2. Storiale

Storiale Peon

Best Answers:
    That's pretty amazing that they are claiming they do not have a real back up of the database. One would think that they would combat against that as much as possible. I have heard of that happening though.

I would say that you are lucky that Google cached your content. My only suggestion is to do the thing you know is needed - copy and past and thank your lucky stars that you don't have to reinvent the wheel. 45 pages is not that much content. I would consider yourself lucky. Sorry, but that is the reality.

Storiale, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  3. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    There is no any other option left for you other then 'reconstructing all the content from the Google cache' IMO. But i strongly suggest you to install wp db backup plugin at your wp blog so you'll get daily,weekly,monthly db backup automatically at your email. You need to set it as you want.

DON.

deluxdon, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  4. Storiale

Storiale Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Call I couldn't remember what the database backup plug in was called. Although it doesn't help now. Great advice for the future.

Storiale, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  5. spycraft

spycraft Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you both for your replies... I guess I have to do it the hard way...

spycraft, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  6. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am wrapping up a fairly interesting gig in which someone got hacked and lost about 3 years worth of posts. He essentially had them all in google reader so I was able to fire open google reader on my end, subscribe to his feed, share them all in my account which creates an RSS feed and then use an autoblog plugin to import all the posts.

Not sure if that is helpful but I like to pat myself on the head after that one. It was a fairly clever fix lol...

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  7. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    That actually isn't true. If the site has been archived in archive.org you can grab the content from there.

dcristo, Apr 29, 2011 IP