1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting an Online Business

Discussion in 'General Business' started by maddie^_^, Aug 1, 2011.

Hello Guys,

Me and my friends are planning to open an online business. If we are going to put up a website how much money we need for the cost in starting a business?

Need your thoughts all!

maddie^_^, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  2. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    Eager to launch your online business, but not sure where to start? With improving technology, including excellent online tools and lower costs, there has never been an easier time to put your business online. These 10 steps will get you online in no time.

Know the Internet: What is your experience with the Internet? Do you still think "MySpace" is your little office under the stairs? Do you raise an eyebrow when your daughter talks about "tweeting"?

Success online requires spending significant time:
    * Researching competitors
    * Understanding how Web tools work (Twitter, RSS Feeds, etc.)
    * Becoming familiar with the culture of the Internet

Register Your Domain
    Your domain is your unique address on the Internet. It is your piece of intellectual property, just like a patent or a trademark. There are numerous registrars (companies that register domains) online where you can purchase your domain.

Some registrars even offer "free" domains with a hosting package or another purchase. While many of these are legitimate, be sure to confirm that the domain is registered in your name. If the domain is registered in the registrars name it may be difficult, if not impossible, to switch to another hosting company without losing your domain.

Source: http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/onlinebusiness101/a/startinganonlinebusiness.htm

jhardy2008, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  3. maddie^_^

maddie^_^ Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this helpful message reply jhardy2008. Actually, I already have experience about SEO but when it comes to business like this I'm not confident with it. Can you estimate a range of budget that we might spend on starting a business? We don't know yet what THEME is best or what kind of website we are going to create.

4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please ignore jhardy2008 the guy can't even be trusted with basic info , he lies even about his location .

Here are some hard facts :
    95% of the webmasters don't make a single cent and out of those that make money less then 30% manage to break the 1000 usd per year barrier .

ASSUMING that you have a solid business plan (this is the tricky part and where you must do the market research yourself) and that you have the skills to implement it here's what you need .

Solid hosting , as fast as humanly possible my recommendation is a small dedicated server . This will cost you @1200 usd per year (@100 per month) . Then contract a webdeveloper , one that knows how to code for speed , you want your website yo be extremely easy to use and as fast as possible . As you already know speed >>external SEO this days thanks to Google's Need for Speed initiative . Depending on how many features you want implemented in the website expect to pay from 500 to 1000 usd for everything . Yes there are cheaper ways to go but the difference between a business website and one that is ran by a amateur is quality .

If you find the right person the web developer should be able to offer website maintenance and basic server maintenance for a small amount @80 usd per month . In this way you don't have to focus on the technical details and you're free to focus on the business part , since you know SEO i assume that SEO and marketing will take 99% of your time .

Also don't pick a market sector where you have little expertise in , a mistake many entrepreneurs make is that they go for the highly profitable sectors ignoring the fact that the competition in those sectors could kill you in seconds (ex: webhosting) . To give you a rough estimate , for a 6 month start the budget of a small business would be ~2000 USD excluding SEO and marketing .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  5. maddie^_^

maddie^_^ Peon

Best Answers:
    This is brilliant! thank you so much ApocalypseXL this information is what I'm looking for.:) 

6. Rob Zombie

Rob Zombie Peon

Best Answers:
    first of all congrats and i agree with above posts but it depends upon individual and his skills.

Rob Zombie, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  7. maddie^_^

maddie^_^ Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Guys,

Can any one give an estimation on how long will it take for an SEO Services Business takes effect or how long you can see an ROI? just a realistic estimation.

Many thanks! 

maddie^_^, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  8. njbrugh

njbrugh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It all depends on how active you are with your marketing. Your website may not be fully indexed by google, yahoo, ect. and you could be making a ton of money. If you spend money on advertising, and are active in forums and blogs getting your name out there then you will see the money start to flow in. But if you are stagnant and just wait for traffic to come from the search engines then it could take 6 months to see any money. 

njbrugh, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  9. Dale Rodgers

Dale Rodgers Guest

Best Answers:
    Maddie it completely depends what your business is & how big you expect to grow. There are a lot of factors that contribute to cost.

Obviously the main one is the development of your website, then you will have business setup fees to launch it as a company, accountants to pay etc etc.

Dale Rodgers, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  10. karenconnell

karenconnell Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are planning to offer SEO services to local 'offline' businesses you could start to see a return almost immediately. If however, you are hoping that clients will find you online, it would all depend on your ability to market yourself effectively.Karen

karenconnell, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  11. kieranrobo

kieranrobo Peon

Best Answers:
    really depends on how large scale you want this website to be

kieranrobo, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  12. maddie^_^

maddie^_^ Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Karen,

Thanks for the reply, can you please elaborate what is an Offline businesses and online?

Thanks! 

maddie^_^, Aug 7, 2011 IP
  13. Beevok

Beevok Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he means small business that don't have online sales.
    Are you doing this on a freelance basis (e.g. one person just offers their service?). If so, you can get money immediately and just work from home.
    What keywords are you the top for?

Beevok, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  14. truforte

truforte Peon

Best Answers:
    Starting an online business can be a very long process. It is going to tak a lot of time and energy to get everything set up and in place. There are many people who have found buying an existing online can be a faster and at time even cheaper route to go.

truforte, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  15. Woman Seeks World

Woman Seeks World Peon

Best Answers:
    Building an online business and seeing huge success takes time - if you look at it as a long term business then you will be OK. A lot of people come into this with a 'get rich quick' mentality and then give up after 6 months when theyre not millionnaires....if you spend time building good content and aim to provide something helpful to the population then you will be a success - just be prepared to put in the time and effort.

Setting up a website is a relatively cheap and easy process, and there are loads of resources out there to help you along the way.

Good luck!

Woman Seeks World, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  16. arsaltheman

arsaltheman Peon

Best Answers:
    To start your online business,I suggest you to choose HOSTGATOR hosting and wordpress.
    There are many website making money through online business using wordpress...
    Regards
    Arsal

arsaltheman, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  17. moustafa

moustafa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You must have a well studied business plan first before thinking about starting a business.

you have to study the market well and know your competitors and how can you provide services better than them.

moustafa, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  18. ProLion

ProLion Peon

Best Answers:
    My man!:) I agree.

ProLion, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  19. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't have any skills or much experience
    And don't have serious money
    You are a goner seriously ...

w3bmaster, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  20. Andre91

Andre91 Peon

Best Answers:
    OP, these guys are being nice. You want the truth??
    To me you appear to be a newbie to the whole "make money online" craze.
    Do your own research and come back to us in a year's time.
    Google is your friend. Don't think you can join a bandwagon and quit your job in two months time.

You sound like me when I was around 13 yrs old. And for the record, I'm not a teenager anymore and still don't consider myself an expert in anything after all these years. Its not an overnight process as most "success online" marketers would like you to believe. Yea, they're easy to spot. They sound like the first guy who commented to your post.

Trust me, you try doing anything online with the little knowledge you have, you'll either lose a lot of money or get ya ass scammed.

Andre91, Aug 8, 2011 IP