1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to save yourself from scam and fraud

Discussion in 'General Business' started by marvellouschange, Aug 10, 2011.

In doing business both online and offline,inorder to protect yourself from scam and fraud,all you have to do is to find testimonials that have tried the business with evidences of their accounts.I'm not saying that they should give you their login info into their accounts like paypal,liberty reserve and alert pay.They can just show the printout or home page of their account.This will give you assurance that you are not risking your money.

marvellouschange, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  2. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Also I've found a thumb of rule that might not please you (because of your country) but proves to be true and good so far: "on the internet, Africa = scam 100%"
    Of course it's not only from Africa, but whenever you receive a business request from Africa, I'd advice to just give it up, my personal advice.

JamesColin, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  3. SeniorWarden6407

SeniorWarden6407 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but you actually mean "a rule of thumb" here, and it's " I'd advise", not "I'd advice" - just trying to help you here...

SeniorWarden6407, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Thank you very much for your help, for rule of thumb I knew it, I guess I've made the mistake from not thinking about it enough, of course you can tell I'm not a native english speaker but I try to use expressions from UK or US that I read on forums. For advise I didn't notice this mistake, I've seen written in both ways but wasn't sure when to use one or the other, thank you for telling me, I'll try to always use advise, adviser, etc. from now on.

JamesColin, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  5. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    print their home page may give lot work to your customers and even afraid them to make the payment.
    i always predict with with billing with the fraud score only.
    Is that any better way to track it ?

JerrickYeoh, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  6. SeniorWarden6407

SeniorWarden6407 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad I was able to help - good for you not to take umbrage against it. Take care.

SeniorWarden6407, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  7. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some rules :

#1 Trust no one ;

#2 Keep track of everything

#3 If the person you're doing business with doesn't have time for 5 minute voice chat over Skype or over the phone be very very aware . If you're handing out a 300 USD job and you're to greedy to pay for 10 mins of international phone call then you're putting yourself at risk .

#4 You can sleep a bit easily if the person you're dealing with is from the following places : U.S.A. , Canada , E.U. , Australia , New Zeeland you can be pretty sure you won't be scammed since there are very tough laws against cybercrime and they are enforced . However be sure that you're dealing with a person that has a verified PayPal with the limits lifted . This makes it less likely for you 2 be scammed .

#5 The poorer the country the higher the chance of a scam . If someone from the Australia has a lower chance of scamming you of 100 USD simply because it's not worth it someone from poor country has a very high chance to scam you since for him 1 scam = 1 salary . Never forget that . Also some countries that have a lot of immigrants like Saudi Arabia or Singapore also pose a high risk since the immigrants income level is very low and they are hard to track down .

#6 If it sounds to good to be true then it's probably a scam .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  8. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hate to point it out but since we improving each other's English :) , it should be "take umbrage at it" NOT "take umbrage against it" :)
    No offence.

tradester, Aug 17, 2011 IP
  9. Reedo

Reedo Peon

Best Answers:
    Good points made here. References, testimonies are a great start, but I've seen where many posted can also be planted/ranked to push real ones to page 2 or further and divert any possible negative reviews... Ever do a search for reviews (on something seems to good to be true? ), can't seem to find any negatives...? Certainly a real conversation by phone can help, and even better as mentioned already using Skype, which is a great tool, between countries, and time zones... Approach any money situation-opportunity with common sense, and extreme caution, "due diligence is required"

Reedo, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  10. Golden Touch

Golden Touch Peon

Best Answers:
    In theory this is sound advice, but I'd urge people to be cautious about taking such testimonials at face value. It's not uncommon for scammers to fake printouts of accounts. It's a 10 minute job for anyone with decent Photoshop skills.

Golden Touch, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  11. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your tips are absolutely great.It will hep the noobs,starters and also to experienced people :)

Card, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  12. D3rek

D3rek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    one simple tip: exercise due diligence.

D3rek, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  13. michandney

michandney Peon

Best Answers:
    These are the best tips, they're easy to follow to ensure that you don't end up getting scammed. A scammer could be anywhere, not just Africa or poorer countries, but they're right that they'll have a lower scam break from the U.S.A, Canada, etc. These tips are highly recommended for anyone who might be wary, is a newbie and/or completely confused about what to do.

michandney, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  14. Drudge

Drudge Peon

Best Answers:
    If it's too good to be true then it probably is.
    Though sometimes you don't want to believe it and convince yourself to believe otherwise lol.

Drudge, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  15. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How to avoid scam?

Well.... the true is that you need to learn the hard way to learn. Get scammed few times(or more) and you will learn how to avoid it.

~Mike

mike30, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  16. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Or you can be smart and learn from the mistakes of others .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  17. SeniorWarden6407

SeniorWarden6407 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, both are correct. Sorry.

SeniorWarden6407, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  18. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Nope , I've never been scammed in my life but I've seen plenty of people that got scammed and read a few book about scammers . So i just learned from the mistakes of other people

ApocalypseXL, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  19. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As I heard once: " Be careful when you use words like 'never and forever ' " this words represent uniformity. And life itself is not uniform.

mike30, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  20. haruki92

haruki92 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you as we tend to let greed control over our mind.We will try to find the easier route to go instead of doing the hard way.This is not wrong,it is just the nature of human:)Have to learn from mistakes.

haruki92, Aug 24, 2011 IP