1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Not sure about including affiliate links in ebook

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dcristo, Sep 21, 2011.

I'm writing my first ebook and I am undecided about whether I should include affiliate links (paid ebook).

In a way I think it cheapens the ebook but at the same time I think its price dependent.

If the aff links are relevant and only included for the benefit of the reader, I think its ok including them especially if the price of the ebook is low.

If the ebook is priced higher, I'd likely only use straight links.

What are your thoughts? What price would you pay for an ebook and not feel ripped off if it included aff links?

dcristo, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  2. celestrist

celestrist Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that it will not cheapen your e-book
    as long as you be honest to your readers -
    telling them about the affiliate links and the
    reason you put it there is for their own good...
    and yours as well...a win-win

celestrist, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  3. g36

g36 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you include the affiliate link for the benefit of the readers, it's OK. But if you include it because you want affiliate commission, I suggest you don't do it. Buyers may feel ripped off.

g36, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  4. Jim Guinn

Jim Guinn Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is refreshing to buy an ebook WITHOUT affiliate links. You'll gain more respect.

Jim Guinn, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  5. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, price is a factor. If it is free or low price, then it is fine to include affiliate links just like many other online business models these days- free stuff like newspapers or youtube will have ads. We all have to earn a living so customers will understand that cheap or free stuff will not be ad-free :)

tradester, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What do you consider to be a low price for an ebook? Would you be happy having aff links in a $5 ebook? What if it was more?

dcristo, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  7. tradester

tradester Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Low price is $5 or less which is peanuts :) ebook these days is so common so even at such low price, not easy to get many buyers unless the ebook offers something new , novel or insightful. Even if you sell 1000 copies at $5 that is only $5000 :) At $5 it is not that many people cannot afford it, sometimes it is the hassle of having to pay by Paypal or credit card and also concerns about security of their payment details. Also ebook can be easily circulated, so someone who buy 1 copy can very quickly circulate to their friends/ contacts
    IMHO, may be better to go for free revenue model and offer your ebook for free so you can add in affiliate links and maybe some sponsored links. Also if it free, your marketing/ social media options are much bigger- you can make it viral on youtube, facebook etc cos your ebook is free. If it is paid even at $5 or less there is stigma when you try to push it on social media cos they are so used to free. :)

tradester, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  8. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Well I don't think the hassle of paying is much of an issue if you are providing good information.

I think I will charge more for the ebook but use straight links and no aff links.

Thanks for the help.

dcristo, Sep 23, 2011 IP
  9. plrnexus

plrnexus Peon

Best Answers:
    just make a "resources page" in the book. Explain that Yes these are affiliate links, I make a small commission and it helps me to EAT. I only put them in here because I recommend the services. I would appreciate if you like what I have written and would like to see more great info like this to click these links if you decide to use or buy these products. Thanks.

That way it does not cheapen the book, puts all the resources in one section at the front and heck you told them what it does and why it is important for you.

Good luck!

plrnexus, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  10. scottish

scottish Peon

Best Answers:
    use links to only your products I think. Your readers will take any links as a personal recommendation from you. some other company could end up profiting from your sales.

scottish, Oct 11, 2011 IP