1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Proxy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Business' started by antman, Jul 14, 2007.

1. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    So basically if one appears down it would still appear on the other host right ? . To be honest money isn't really a issue for a dedicated server but my site is just over a week old so it would be ridiculous to host it all on one server.

I think if my problems continue I'll give you tip a try.

RossCheal, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  2. tom11011

tom11011 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It actually won't work that way unfortunately. If one server is down, it will still send traffic to the down server. But, half of your requests will make it to the working server.

I have actually been considering what is next for me and proxies. I have a proxy that is doing quite well and I may invest in an actual load balancer so I could have a farm of servers. If one server is down, the load balancer would pull it out of the cluster. Of course, it would have to be redundanct load balancers, in a data center with redundant peers to the internet. All it takes is money right :)

tom11011, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  3. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well as you are aware you know how saturated the market is,I think far to many proxies are just put togeather in hours then straight on the net full of ads.

When I decided to make my proxy I knew that it had to be diffrent from the rest ive spent nearly £150 on it so im not scared of a little investment I see this as a long term project and hoping to get around 10 good quality sites open in the next year so if that means i spend nearly £150 all........... do the maths its gunna be expensive .

Let me know how that works out for you Tom.

Ross.

RossCheal, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  4. NickW2

NickW2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That is not strictly true. While round robin DNS is mostly a method of load distribution, modern web browsers will try the next DNS entry in the round robin if the first one they try is down. It will remember that choice for future requests in that session, so only the first request to the initially down server will be slow.

NickW2, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  5. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Can anyone recomend a Few proxy lists I could add my site too.

Also are any of you guys running Glype If so would you mind sharing the best user configuration settings im not sure if I have mine set correctly.

RossCheal, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  6. tom11011

Best Answers:
    I pretty much just have glype configured with the defaults, haven't changed anything. (prevent hotlinking, no logging, 5 second connection timeout, no cookies)

tom11011, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  7. geekos

geekos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can submit your proxies on my PR 2 proxy listing site,my list gets good organic traffic ;)

geekos, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  8. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats the problem I have messed my defualt setting up but ill take the heads up from the ones you have provided.

Also ill add my site to the lists provided thanks.

Ross.

RossCheal, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  9. tom11011

Best Answers:
    Just delete the includes/settings.php file and re-install the one that came with it. That will reset everything to default.

tom11011, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  10. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dont know why I didnt think of that Tom

Can I ask how many proxies your running and what sort of traffic your getting? and how your hosting them I know this sounds very intrusive but im just making my way at the moment.

My current proxies only been online less than a week and im getting some decent traffic. But as your aware Im having isuses with Downtime.

Ross.

11. tom11011

Best Answers:
    I got started about 2 years ago, maybe just under. I started by buying a few, the previous owner had already done some of the work and there was some traffic and adsense earnings so I spent some minimal dollars. I was reading (probably from this thread) that you should not have the word proxy in the domain name as that it was a good bet it could be filtered out.

So, I left those alone and started a new one. I thought of a pretty good name for the domain and also spent the money to have an ssl cert. I advertised only a few times on proxy.org and that drove some pretty good traffic. Then, I ended up on a whole bunch of other proxy lists that I did not even submit too so that helped. Other users must have submitted me. http://proxy4free.com drove a ton of traffic for a while and adsense started rolling in. That website rates your proxy too on a variety of factors. As my proxy started getting more and more popular, my server performance started to get worse and I started to drop in their rankings as well as my traffic.

Today, most of my traffic is direct request, meaning I am probably bookmarked in peoples browsers. So I am really only focusing on one right now, I am only getting about 60-80 thousand visits per month. If I can increase my performance, I will try and push that number higher. I host them on my own server, we have servers in the datacenter hosting other stuff for a variety of customers.

12. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the insight Tom, I ran a few small proxies back In 2008 but didn't really have money to invest where as now I have, if my project goes to plan hopefully I'll be purchasing a small sever sooner or later , could you recommend a reputable company.

13. tom11011

Best Answers:
    I really can't recommend anyone because I don't really have a clue who is good. We have our datacenter and servers so I would have to recommend myself :)

14. newbie191

newbie191 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am hosting my proxy sites on two different VPS hosting services. Sometimes the sites are using too much Ram and CPU and the server gets slow. What if there is a way in case of slow server(or the server is down) the additional traffic automatically diverts to the other server that is not very busy?
    Is it possible? If anybody is successfully doing it then do let me know. :eek:

newbie191, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  15. tom11011

Best Answers:
    You are describing the function of a load balancer. There are a variety of criteria you can set to pull a web server out of the farm.

16. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Would you be able to give me some prices for some low end dedicated servers or a server that would handle the needs of a small proxy, my plan is to open ten eventually all linked to a blog/forum/arcade sort of a little network then move on from there if all goes well and its worth while.

Ross.

RossCheal, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  17. tom11011

Best Answers:
    We don't do cheap hosting at. We cater to higher end clients who spend alot more money. These types of customers make the best customers, hardly any turnover. If you are interested, sned me a PM and we can talk.

tom11011, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  18. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well when I come to it and work out what I need ill Pm you like i say the site is just over a week old so untill it totally is to big gto handle on shared ill get intouch to see what you can offer.

Thanks Ross.

RossCheal, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  19. NickW2

NickW2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A quick update for those who have submitted their proxies to my proxy list.

The day has now come where a backlink is required to submit a proxy to ProxyLister.org

All sites submitted with a valid backlink will be in a category which is displayed above the other proxies in the list. All proxies in the old "no backlink" category will be moved to the "backlink required" category gradually at a rate of around 10-15 proxies per day, starting with the most recently submitted first. This gives those who submitted a while ago more time to insert a link. Once in this category, those which do not have a backlink will be de-listed by the automatic backlink checker. Remember, you can get the benefit of the backlink now as these proxies will be listed above all of those without a link.

If you have already submitted to ProxyLister and have a backlink and/or want moving to the "backlink required" category now then please contact me with your proxy's URL by either PM on this forum or email

It will definitely be worth getting your site moved to this category. With almost 500 proxies listed, ProxyLister.org sends just over 2 hits per day to each proxy on average. I estimate less than 50 proxies surviving the backlink checking phase, so 15+ hits per day to each proxy on average is feasible.

See the FAQ page http://www.proxylister.org/faq.php#Backlinks for details on a compliant backlink.

NickW2, Oct 15, 2011 IP
  20. RossCheal

RossCheal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ill get that backlink on as soon as im home Nick.

Thanks for the heads up.

RossCheal, Oct 16, 2011 IP