1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2 Million visits a month and no income

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Robotronic, Oct 21, 2011.

This sounds ridiculous.

I was totally floored after talking to a colleague at work when he told me that his hobby site attracted 2 million visits per month.

I was doubly floored when when he told me that his site was not yet monetized in any way.

Mu question is - conservatively what kind of revenue can be expected from 2 million visitors per month. Surely more than nothing.

What would be your ball park minimum guestimate.

The website is health related and targets mostly women. It has content authored by someone very knowledable and authoritative in a specific subject area. Apparently, it's a labor of love and monetization has taken a back seat.

Robotronic, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  2. pbmann1213

pbmann1213 Peon

Best Answers:
    With good Ad structure and matching, he could be looking at a a six figure salary from the site. With sucky ad placement, he might make $10 a month. All the visitors in the world won't make a difference unless ads are getting clicked. Like in a game of soccer, shots on goal don't count for squat unless they're going in the net.

pbmann1213, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  3. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Well, let's say he gets $1 per thousand views (he'd get around that or more because he would be a big publisher). He'd be looking at $2000 per month. BUT if it's a blog he could make more, through affiliate marketing and RSS feed advertising etc.

sambling, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  4. Leisure Is My Business

Leisure Is My Business Peon

Best Answers:
    Amazing that someone with that level of traffic has not seized the opportunity to make some serious cash, he must really love just running the site with a passion

Leisure Is My Business, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  5. Max Singapore

Max Singapore Active Member

Best Answers:
    before you get over joy , is best you analyze the traffic first and see what kinda visitor is coming to the site .
    i once leave a forum open for 3 month , and i get almost 30,000 visitor a days . but is all junk spam .

then again with good planning and well researched traffic you will be looking at a good income monthly .

Max Singapore, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  6. Robotronic

Robotronic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll inquire more next week. I had the impression that the traffic was natural. There have been no attempts at SEO, and the aversion to the business side has been on the basis of not wanting to be seen as "selling out".

I figured he could quit his day job and spend some time building up a revenue model. I also figured it could easily pay the equivalent of a decent full time salary.

I know I would quit my job in a heart beat. I actually quit work for 6 months to work on one of my sites that had just a few thousand visits a month (which is a bit extreme). Unfortunately I had to return to work to save up again.

Robotronic, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  7. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if you say that most of visit come from women, i would suggest you put some ads in the right position. coz most women does't realize about the ads,.. lol.. :D

robyries, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  8. Max Singapore

Max Singapore Active Member

Best Answers:
    i would never advice someone to quit his Job even if his website is making good money .

is always good to have a ALT Income

Max Singapore, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  9. Robotronic

Robotronic Peon

Best Answers:
    I do agree that it can be foolish to quit a job , but to NEVER quit a job is counter to the whole idea of following one's passion to do what they really want to do in life. And counter to the idea of the entrepreneurial spirit. Where would the new jobs come from if nobody ever took a risk to try building something of their own?

Gates would never have quit Harvard, Jobs woud not have quit Atari, and , Bezos would never have formed Amazon

I would qualify to that extent that one should strongly consider not quitting their job if the income does not cover their expenses, or if they do not have enough savings. The entrepreneurial path is not for everyone.

To me, Internet Business is not about side income. It's about an opportunity to follow a better lifestyle, and getting out of the trap of trading time for dollars, and to perhaps build and create something special.

Robotronic, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  10. aditd

aditd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I don't believe such a story. 2 millions and no income ... unless it's a anti business model ... in which case he won the prize.

aditd, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  11. IamTJM

IamTJM Peon

Best Answers:
    If it is quality traffic coming in, that is a great niche to be in as it can be monetized in many ways (clickbank, cpa, adsense, etc...).

IamTJM, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  12. newspanel

newspanel Peon

Best Answers:
    do you mind sharing the site's url? Don't have to show it pubically, pm me if you want

newspanel, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  13. MediaMonty

MediaMonty Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wow, I dont think he knows that he's doing. He must be really lucky to get 2 million visitors a month. I bet just by putting up some adsense ads, he can get at the very least $2500-$3000 a month.

MediaMonty, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  14. awcguy

awcguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Suggested I would analyze your patrons and then see what type of ads would work best. Going from No ads to a bunch of ads drives people away.

Go slow on the build up and make the patrons believe that the ads are for there benefit..

awcguy, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  15. Robotronic

Robotronic Peon

Best Answers:

I'll find out more this week, if not tomorrow.

I shall get the website url and try to establish if there really are 2 million visits per month.

Even so, it's an interesting question - what sort of revenue potential can be expected on that volume? It depends on the demographics of the traffic of course, but with such big numbers it opens up some serious cash flow possibilities. It's hard to imagine that someone would forego such opportunities.

Robotronic, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  16. ggabbab

ggabbab Peon

Best Answers:
    wow,so many visitors,well,why not use google adsense?

ggabbab, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  17. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    2 millions visit basically can give you few thousand per month but it depends on the traffic quality

lifeplayer, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  18. newspanel

newspanel Peon

Best Answers:
    there are many big brands in his niche, he can arrange a partnership deal, he might not get as much as he would with adsense, but it will be a stable income

newspanel, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  19. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    URl would be nice :D

sambling, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  20. shuvo

shuvo Active Member

Best Answers:
    So I think you have to optimize your site well with your ads or products that you are promoting to get sales or leads.

Also make sure you know how those visitors are coming to your site and their activity in a particular section your site,which articles they are reading more and for this you can set up Google Analytics.

shuvo, Oct 29, 2011 IP