1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some advice about a business I want to start

Discussion in 'General Business' started by cory.r.west, Nov 28, 2011.

Hey guy,

I need some advice about this business I am thinking about starting. It is a home energy audit business.

Basically we go to your house and find ways for you to decrease your energy usage, and consequently your energy bill.

These changes range from changing light bulbs to replacing windows and doors. We only do the audits, not the retrofits.

Your local municipal power company would subsidize most of the audit but expect to pay between $200-$500.

I have a couple questions:

How much would you be willing to pay?
    Would you even be interested?
    Why would you be interested?
    Would you want the auditor to be certified by the government in auditing?
    Would you be willing to get an audit done for cheaper if the auditor had little experience?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    cory.r.west, Nov 28, 2011 IP
  2. volico

volico Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd be willing to pay somewhere around $299 for a full audit... being interested is a definite.

volico, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  3. cory.r.west

cory.r.west Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the feedback. Anyone else?

cory.r.west, Nov 29, 2011 IP
  4. melanieup

melanieup Peon

Best Answers:
    An interesting idea and one that could prove popular especially where people are looking for ways to save money. I think it would have to be cheap, though, as people will then have to pay to make the changes which would further costs even more.

melanieup, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  5. newbie12

newbie12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to do some keyword research using google ad words tools to see if any one is searching for this type of stuff and what the volume is like

newbie12, Dec 1, 2011 IP
  6. dustinfuson

dustinfuson Member

Best Answers:
    Another great idea to starting a business. Every one like to reduce her/his electricity bills go for this business. If i would like to audit then i will pay something between $300-$350. Best of Luck

dustinfuson, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  7. cory.r.west

cory.r.west Peon

Best Answers:
    well compared to the actually retrofits the audit is relatively inexpensive.

cory.r.west, Dec 2, 2011 IP
  8. web3k

web3k Member

Best Answers:
    Nice idea you've got going there! Two pieces of advice to add;

1) $299 isn't unreasonable, though you may need to convince some that they'll save that money back within x-months of implementing the points on your audit report.

2) You could team up with the company going to do the retro-fits and get a kick-back from them, and lower your cost to the customer at the same time. You'll get more bites, with more potential to pass onto the guys doing the retro-fit, and subsequently more referral money.

web3k, Dec 2, 2011 IP