1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recipe sites?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by peachesncream, Jan 19, 2012.

Are people interested in original recipe sites? How many unique recipes do you think I would need to have on my site and how much do you think I could sell it for.

peachesncream, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  2. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, recipe related sites are very helpful in earning good money but you should have good content on your site for better result.

I think you should feature recipe category wise and location wise it would help.

alex06295, Jan 19, 2012 IP
  3. BassHead

BassHead Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had a lot of luck with recipe sites in the past. The idea is to make really big sites and just pull in the long tails. I used databases of recipes to get my website big. I then manually added custom/interesting recipes daily and made those pages extra special so that my site seemed more legit. Hope this gets some wheels turning.

BassHead, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  4. peachesncream

peachesncream Member

Best Answers:
    I'm new at this so I dont really know what you mean by pulling in the long tails, but I appreciate the advice. I definitely plan on having lots of categories and having the articles 100 original. How many recipes do you think I will need?

peachesncream, Jan 20, 2012 IP
  5. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    I am designing a site and I don't know what will be it's niche yet. I have thought of recipes site but this would be hard to get real recipes from master chefs and amateurs cooks from around the globe. I really think a recipe site would make make my design look really beautiful as compared to some other niche, but then I realize that it's hard to get recipes. I don't want to just buy database and put it. How you plan on getting recipes?

Webinx, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  6. peachesncream

peachesncream Member

Best Answers:
    i am using my own recipes so i dont have a lot of them. i want my sites to be unique content, but i dont know if i will have enough recipes for my site. I am trying to figure out how many unique recipes i would need.

peachesncream, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  7. peachesncream

peachesncream Member

Best Answers:
    also, this is really the first time ive made a site, so i dont know if im doing things right at all, but i figure its better just to try it out and see what happens.

peachesncream, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  8. ironic

ironic Member

Best Answers:
    This is definitely a good attitude to have! A lot of people never even get started because they're worried about doing wrong... not realizing that you learn to get it right gradually as you go along!

I've been interested in doing a recipe site for a while too (I also have my own), but I haven't put aside the time to pursue it yet. This thread has reminded me about it, so thanks. :) And good luck!

ironic, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  9. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    I have thought about this a lot and since I think the best way to get as much recipes as possible would be to meet your fellow friends and pass it on locally to amateur and professional cooks who would want to share their recipe. Being a guy I won't do that lol, I really like making pastries but I don't know people locally who like to cook. If you are a girl or a woman, your chances are better. You can tell your friends, colleagues,etc :) It will easily be passed :D If it get big locally, more hit = more traffic, this will give better google rank thus more international traffic. The key to this is having a 90% unique content site. If you lok well, most of the recipe sites have the same recipe exactly copied from 1 main source. So if you are the source, you will rank better :D

Webinx, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  10. BradAllen

BradAllen Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to discourage you at all but there are a lot of recipe sites out there. I would think about building a more specific niche type of recipe site instead of going really broad. For example a site all about pie recipes, or only appetizer recipes. Make sure you use a good keyword tool to see what type of recipes people are searching for, and also check out the competition before you begin.

BradAllen, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  11. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    google it,

edvvardbrian, Feb 24, 2012 IP
  12. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    If it was that easy, the OP wouldn't have posted this thread. Your comment is useless!
    Ktnxbye.

Webinx, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  13. Chris Ellis

Chris Ellis Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that there are a couple of ways to go about it. You could make a really broad recipe site and pull in every recipe you could find or you could make it a niche recipe sight such as low salt recipes or low fat. Either route I would take I would also include articles such as the benefits of using Spinach or Walnuts so you have more content to link keywords back to and it would also entice your visitors to spend more time on your page. If you really want to put some work into it You could write some value filled article on related kitchen tips and try to establish yourself as a authority figure. Then you could set up an opt-in on your site promoting your newsletter where you give out your very favorite recipes or your most valuable tips. Once you begin to build a list the money will really come to you because you could offer affiliate links for kitchen items or ebooks on how to properly prepare difficult dishes. The opportunities are limitless if you put the time in!

Chris Ellis, Feb 25, 2012 IP
  14. edvvardbrian

edvvardbrian Member

Best Answers:
    You really have to stand out of the crowd to be successful with a recipe site. Also, you would need thousands of original recipes to make it work and nothing would guarantee that people didn't steal it and put it as their own recipes on the major recipe sites like food.com. But you can give it a try if you're really passionate about this topic.

edvvardbrian, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  15. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest to look up similar sites to see what your up against as in bringing more recipe ideas.

Example of websites:
    http://allrecipes.com/
    http://www.grubhub.com/ - you can see ideal menus in restaurants, to get your recipe ideas flowing

As for promoting your recipes, you mind want to build a website around what your doing unless you plan on to sell this on ebay or any other plateforms.

OR

You can contact people on gruhub, and see what they are willing to pay for in person, modifying a certain dish or series of menu? That can bring serious value into their business.

Example: Pizza
    Modified Menu: Hamburger Pizza, Katsu Pizza (katsu- a deep fried cutlet of meat, chicken, pork)

If this helped you, I appreciate rep points. "Click the thumbs up icon" :)

James Byun, Feb 26, 2012 IP
  16. mediacurse

mediacurse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Think of a recipe site with a twist. Especially as you are using your own recipes. Use lots of images from different phases of the cooking, use vidoes, maybe even create long sound files that people can follow while they are actually cooking at the same time. Okay, it's all a lot of work and not sure if it's worth it. But still, try to think of something with a twist.

mediacurse, Feb 28, 2012 IP
  17. Webinx

Webinx Member

Best Answers:
    If you are a great cook with unique recipes that will attract people, just set up your personal recipe site. Example yournamerecipe.com
    This will be a personal site by you where you post your own recipes and make your own videos. You will be famous in no time if your recipes are awesome. As your site grows, just get a new domain and go big with fellow amateur cooks who will share their videos as well. Who knows maybe, you will get the next best recipe site in the world.

Webinx, Mar 3, 2012 IP