1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why I hate Flippa and would much rather be buying/selling sites on DP

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ChR0n1k, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Zublin5

Zublin5 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Man I'm really glad I found this thread. First time poster here but long time lurker. I've been a member of various BH forums and have decided that BH is not the way to go. Lots of guys talk about using Flippa but after some research I agree with this OP. It's hard to believe some of the revenue claims that some of the sellers claim for such new sites. That being said I have a few domain names that I would like to get rid of myself but won't be using Flippa.

Zublin5, Apr 21, 2012 IP
    ChR0n1k likes this.
  2. Cucumba123

Cucumba123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Tell me, why is Flippa the #1 website marketplace then? It's all about due diligence, you have to do it before committing anything.
    There will always be some bad and good sites/sellers. Also who said there isn't crap on DP too?

Cucumba123, Apr 21, 2012 IP
  3. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Crap is everywhere.

The moment you want to sell a website for less than say 10-20 times the monthly income, it is a crap listing.

siteurl, Apr 23, 2012 IP
  4. rroman

rroman Peon

Best Answers:
    How I wish I found this forum earlier...I already bought few stuff from flippa and listed one of my domain name. I was shock that I have to pay $19 plus 5% success fee if I sell my domain name. I just cross my finger that I can sell it and get my money back.

But glad that there's still a good place to trade.

rroman, Apr 25, 2012 IP
  5. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agreed, DP is full of "huge potential" sites that just got made yesterday on a shitty dropped domain. I don't know wtf goes thru someones head when they price a site like that at over $50 even... Regardless, there is a ton of crap sites on DP that the owner actually will say is crap and let go for cheap. This is unheard of on Flippa. Who the hell says Flippa is the #1 website marketplace anyways? Isn't that Flippa's own tag line? That's the same as all the pick up truck commercials saying theirs is the best and has been for 40 years. Total BS. I don't know how 3 different pick up trucks can be the best, when they all have pros and cons to them. The same is said for websites, and I am just stating DP is WAAYYYYYYYYYYWAYWYAWYWAYYYYYY better than Flippa will ever be for buyers and sellers alike.

ChR0n1k, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  6. ChR0n1k

ChR0n1k Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the forum :) I too lurked for a while before deciding to contribute. I bet in the first few minutes you had this face :eek: after seeing all the sites bogus claims. You came to the right place if you want to cash in on flipping websites, let me tell you. BH can work but to an extent, and you will eventually get caught and your site will be slapped and all the time and money spent down the drain, leaving you very sad :( Trust me, bend the rules but don't break them. White hat is the way to go

ChR0n1k, Apr 30, 2012 IP
  7. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not a big fan of flippa either, but you really can't compare! DP site marketplace is much smaller in both buyers and sellers. It's very rare to see decent established sites with good revenues on here. Mostly smaller, new sites, or sites with more "potential" than revenue.
    While on flippa it's rather common to see top sites like this

I have been buying and selling sites for many years and I can tell that it really doesn't matter that much where you buy, what matters is that you take it seriously, do a lot of research, check all the stats and do proper due diligence before buying. The only way to not get scammed and to make sure your purchases end up being profitable is to spend the time to learn how due diligence works, read up on it from some good resources (not the $19 ebooks or paid training programs - there is plenty of free material available, produced by highly respected and experienced people in the industry), do your own research of the market and learn what are all things to check and keep an eye on when considering a purchase.

DomainMagnate, May 8, 2012 IP
  8. johnnywebb

johnnywebb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sold a site on there for 30k. Can I get top dollar for a site here??

johnnywebb, May 8, 2012 IP
  9. Cucumba123

Cucumba123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not when a 3rd world country is dominating the marketplace, sorry.

Cucumba123, May 8, 2012 IP
  10. Joe Latham

Joe Latham Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Flippa sucks more and more each and every day...Now they charge $29 per listing and that is pretty lame if you ask me.

Joe Latham, Aug 7, 2012 IP
  11. siteurl

siteurl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Crap is at both places.

Atleast here we can discuss and question the seller.

Flippa is almost all made up sale/auction threads.

They claim revenue at 1000$ / month and want to sell the site at 1250$

No one moderates the sale listings.

If you are a buyer, you get trapped (Atleast myself 2 times)

If you are a genuine seller, you hardly find buyers as everyone looks at you with suspicion. If your listing is not successful you loose money.

I gave ratings about my purchases, Most of them negative. No body from flippa bothered to look at it. The sellers are still active in flippa fooling other members.

siteurl, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  12. traxport121

traxport121 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice and sharing this useful piece of information. I agree with the fact, that its risky to use Flippa. When I first saw Flippa, I was quite impressed with their "cool" site listing etc. But after exploring a bit, it didn't seem that attractive.

traxport121, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  13. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I listed sites on Flippa a couple of times in the past few years both times it was a complete waste of money. Sitepoint used to be good but when they spun off Flippa it turned into a big greedy scam.

averyz, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  14. mrmartingale

mrmartingale Peon

Best Answers:
    Those fees are crazy in my opinion
    First you pay for listing 29$ which is not a small sum, then you have to pay succes fee - minimum fee there- 10$
    So we have minimum of 39$, i am wondering how people selling new sites are making a profit ?!?!?
    What do you think?

mrmartingale, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  15. mrmartingale

mrmartingale Peon

Best Answers:
    Other thing- is there real alternative to Flippa?

mrmartingale, Aug 8, 2012 IP
  16. topblog

topblog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    in my opinion, paying fee for listing is the worst thing, and its not just 1 or 2 bucks. And if the website did not sold, we will loose both our time and fee.

topblog, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  17. topblog

topblog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My above comments are regarding flippa ...

topblog, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  18. soccerfriend

soccerfriend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think nowadays people learned that good sites are not worth to be sold and both Flippa and DP do not have many quality sites on sale

soccerfriend, Aug 25, 2012 IP
  19. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I use to buy and sell sites for 3 months of revenue. But on Flippa, my last site making around $600/month had a highest bid for $101.
    So, I sell them on Ebay instead where I have much more money. I do reach my 3 months of revenue price there, not easily though.

Codythebest, Aug 25, 2012 IP
  20. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love this one...People who just entered the joy of internet are always funny...They think they know it all....

Codythebest, Aug 25, 2012 IP