1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long after a job interview should you expect a response?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Snake Eye, May 10, 2012.

I haven't been on job interviews in 6 or 7 years. I have been self employed for the last 18 to 20 months, and prior to that I had the same job for at least 4 years. So I have forgotten about job interviews. How long after the interview should you expect to hear something?

The lady I interviewed with, who is also the manager told me she had to hire someone soon. I interviewed on Monday, and now it is Thursday, 3 days later and have not hear anything. Is it still too soon?

I did send her a thank you email, but she did not respond to it. You think that means she is not interested? Or afraid to reply before she makes a decision, just in case I reply again and ask more questions?

I was thinking that she wasn't going to offer me enough salary anyway, I was waiting to see what that was going to be as we never discussed it.

Snake Eye, May 10, 2012 IP
  2. Marcushbell

Marcushbell Peon

Best Answers:
    There may be many point for delay:

Salary Issue: Any Good Company hires talented person for his ability salary. May be your salary expectations high against your job profile knowledge.
    Joining Date: Maybe Company wanted to hire someone quickly against your previous company notice period.
    Searching Well Trained: May be your knowledge is not sufficient for that post.

Marcushbell, May 10, 2012 IP
  3. Alex060985

Alex060985 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Snake,

It has only been 3 days since you went in for the interview and unless you have a special ability to complete the job that no one else in the world has, you will be up against other people that are being interviewed for the position too.

I have waited up to 4 weeks for a reply from one company before being offered the job and even after all that i turned it down as i took myself off to other bigger named companies and showed them that i was looking for an offer of employment as working as a freelancer at home for 24 months.

The fact that you did not get a reply to your email won't be that she wasn't interested in your interview, but you have to ask yourself whether she is off ill, out of office for the day or simply is that busy with the interviews that you were undertaking and didn't see the need to reply.

Wait it out, don't bother them with your emails as you should have left a good impression when you were in the interview and simply wait for the news that is coming your way.

Alex060985, May 10, 2012 IP
  4. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    No I am not going to email back again, or even call. From what I remember, the last job that hired me which was 2006, called me back within 48 hours. Previous job before that in 2005 called to hire me that same night of the interview.

I guess I am used to being hired fast. I do have special abilities which would enable me to do the job much better than anyone else. The lady just may not be as aware. She said they have other depts that might be hiring too, and she said she would pas my resume off to them if I did not get hired by her.

Either way, I was wanting to know what they were paying because I assume it is not enough to justify taking away time from my self employment work. Perhaps she realized I would have wanted a higher salary and may try to hire someone else cheaper.

5. ZNHost

ZNHost Peon

Best Answers:
    From what you had said, I guess don't expect a call from the lady since she will pass your resume to other departments.

ZNHost, May 10, 2012 IP
  6. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    So you think her saying she would pass my resume off to others if she did not hire me was her way of saying that she was not going to hire me?

7. ZNHost

ZNHost Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe yes or maybe not. For her, you are not the kind of person she is looking for but you may be qualified for other department that she knows of.

ZNHost, May 10, 2012 IP
  8. aamigallery

aamigallery Guest

Best Answers:
    Since she hasn't replied to your email. Means she is not interested. If you are Qualified enough in the terms of Education and Experience walk into there company again and check out there work and office space along with working conditions. If there interviews are still going on walk-into the interview and ask if she is hiring and don't answer Questions related to your Freelancing work. Understand yourself further.

aamigallery, May 10, 2012 IP
  9. nishayadav

nishayadav Peon

Best Answers:
    sometimes we came to know immediatly with the expressions of the interviewer:p but sometimes we really get a surprise after a long time that we got selected:)

nishayadav, May 10, 2012 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    14 days is the maximum turnaround time .

ApocalypseXL, May 10, 2012 IP
  11. Kevin Michaels

Kevin Michaels Peon

Best Answers:
    In my country, the usual turnaround time is 2 weeks. However, it is very much dependent on the number of candidates that have to be interviewed. I think after 3 weeks you can accept that the job has been give to someone else.

Kevin Michaels, May 10, 2012 IP
  12. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That is exactly what I thought. All I emailed was something like "nice meeting you, and that it was nice to finally learn what went on at your company". That got no response at all.

If it were me getting that email I would have said something like "thanks for stopping in, nice meeting you too" at least. The fact that I got no reply at all made me think she was not interested. But like I mentioned before, I am not even sure they would have offered me enough money to make me want to work there full time anyway.

As for her sending my resume off to another dept, if she did that I would need to interview all over again with the manager of whichever dept it was. She did mention that more than once, so I guess at the end of the interview she already made up her mind about not wanting me there.

The other thing is I was used to being hired so fast. As I mentioned my 2 previous jobs, one called me back the next day, and one before that called me that same night to hire me. From what I remember in the past, the ones that did not call right away usually did not call at all.

13. Gary Ling

Gary Ling Peon

Best Answers:
    I know its off topic but Snake, why don't you try freelancing? I mean if you still want to keep your freedom, you could apply for jobs on elance or odesk.

That way you won't have to trap yourself working 8 hours a day without much freedom. Just a suggestion that you can consider. :rolleyes:

Gary Ling, May 12, 2012 IP
  14. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info on those sites. I will check those out and see if anything on there fits me.

What I am going to do is take classes for something in programming or graphic design. I know that stuff now, but not enough to get me a job in that field, just enough to create my own sites. I have the time now to take classes since I don't work for anyone but myself.

At first I was mad that the lady did not reply to my email, and that they probably wont hire me. It was banking/finance work which I did before I became self employed with websites. I don't want to get back into that anyway, and I doubt she would have paid enough money. She said they work from 9 am till their finance client says they are done for the day. That sounded like suicide to me. I wouldn't have time to work on my websites, I would be too tired to work out as well.

Her eyes were red, she looked real tired in the interview. When I finished the interview I went to the mall to look around for a little, then went home and worked on my computer at my own pace. She was stuck working in that office as a slave till probably 7 or 8 that night. I am not going back to that life again.

Snake Eye, May 12, 2012 IP
  15. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    In big companies it may take a few weeks to get back to you, so be patient.

What were you doing for the last 2 years when you were self employed and why did you decide to go look for a job now?

DomainMagnate, May 12, 2012 IP
  16. Snake Eye

Snake Eye Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have several websites. I always had them, but eventually they started making almost as much money as my regular job, well 1 site in particular stands out the most with that. My last job was ticking me off, with the forced overtime crap, overworking people, also hiring "friends of the family" who did not have to work much and were paid more than anyone. I wanted to spend more time on my sites and less at an 8 hour office job. First I asked them to let me work part time and even volunteered w/ no benefits or insurance, but they got offended that I even dared to ask such a thing. So I said the hell with those slave drivers and quit.

Anyway my AdSense earnings have been lower this year than last, so I started to think I better get some extra income just in case. But now that I think about, I am better off going to a tech school or even college to learn stuff that I can use on programming my site, as well as getting me a real job if needed. The kind of job where the employer lets you work from home, many programming and web design jobs do that. The job I interviewed for on Monday is not computer related, it is finance which is what I had been doing right out of high school.

This is not that huge of a company by the way. I don't mean big like Citibank which employes thousands, I would say this place has about 150 employees.

Snake Eye, May 12, 2012 IP
  17. warloky

warloky Peon

Best Answers:
    When they say, "We'll let you know" instead of "When can you start?" it usually means you're not in. The reasons can be any or all of the those discussed here..

warloky, May 12, 2012 IP
  18. cwvps1

cwvps1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think up to a month is OK. Sometimes you don't get in right away, but if the person who was hired instead of you quits for any reason, they call the person who was their second choice.

cwvps1, Aug 5, 2015 IP