1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you use a friendbot for myspace advertising, be careful ..

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Nite, Nov 27, 2006.

Can be found at http://www.myspace.com/tgrijalva blog heading: Myspace as a promotional vehicle.

Hey, everyone.

So I had a little "back and forth" with someone on myspace. Apparently, they were concerned because I send out a message to a lot of people regarding the promotion of my website.

The message I sent out is as follows:
    That message got this reply from some one:
    I replied to that with this:
    Here's the response from them:
    I had to respond to this, to answer indirect assumptions about my character:
    And now, the final reply from them, ...
    Anyone else have to deal with this?

Nite, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  2. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't want to get into communications like that when you are violating the Myspace TOS and your ISP's TOS. I have some friends who got into quite a bit of trouble because of some back and forth communications that he thought wouldn't make a difference.

Keep doing what your doing if it is working but don't waste your time or energy responding to people like that.

PayItForward, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  3. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    So you are spamming people trying to get them to visit some junk site and now get mad because they tell you to buzz off?

Bravo... :rolleyes:

fryman, Nov 27, 2006 IP
    gemini181 likes this.
  4. JoshuaGross

JoshuaGross Peon

Best Answers:
    Haha fryman....

I basically agree with all of the above. I haven't done myspace marketing for a while (just to experiment a while back). But, that's what I experienced and figured out right away.... I only correspond with people who make good suggestions/criticism/praise about my site (and those people come to my MySpace via my site, not vice versa). Anything else is just pointless and a waste of time honestly.

JoshuaGross, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  5. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's so easy to be cold in cyberspace.

Nite, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  6. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm gradually learning my lessons as well.

Nite, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  7. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good points.

Myspace is basically a useless site, it seems.

Nite, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  8. Nite

Nite Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've decided to cancel my myspace account.

Nite, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  9. Proxynow

Proxynow Guest

Best Answers:
    lol that's pretty funny, myspace def isn't a useless site for marketing, i have freinds making $200+ from myspace affiliate and adsense a day.

Proxynow, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  10. iul

iul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree with this guy. EVERYONE hates when they receive spam. I don't see why you get mad when people don't want you to spam their child

iul, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  11. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you must not know how to target your accounts at all, do you know any thing about demographics and your "target market"? why would you even target a shopping site to a 11 year old to start with?

learn how to use the "settings" of the friend bot...

Connections, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In defense of Nite, the 11 year old isn't meant to have an account on there, im sure the limit is 13 years old i think? or 16?

I stopped using my own account recently because i didn't find it ideal for my situation, i had over 4000 people and at least 200 of them wanted to be my best mate, my whole days turned into a full time job replying to them :) i always try and be polite.

Also if that step mother insists on the 11 year old lad being able to have a myspace account she could make the account private and for close friends and relatives only.

pipes, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  13. PlainJain

PlainJain Peon

Best Answers:
    Curious myself as to why you were trying to "market" a shopping site to an underage child? I don't understand why you want to do that but I'm sure you have a good reason to do so or you wouldn't have done it... what was the reason?

PlainJain, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  14. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Nite,

The problem I see you having with MySpace.com is:

You're using a Friendbot to collect friends but you're sending messages that don't concern them... basically you're illegally spamming them. Sorry to be so blunt - but you're invading their privacy and THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO OFFER THEM JACKETS WHILE THEY'RE AT THE BEACH.

You need to think about what you're doing a little more than you have. MySpace is a TERRIFIC tool for anyone in Marketing. But you can't spam someone who is only 11 years old and then believe they're going to agree with you while you're arguing with them? It's a no brainer... you're arguing with someone who's upset that you're trying to sell their child something they don't need. Accidents happen but you should apologize and move on.

As for Marketing on MySpace -- use Bulletins at first and see what happens from there... but invading someones privacy with messages to "test" something they will probably not enjoy is not a good idea.

The kid being 11 or 58 is irrelevant at this point... yes, the parent should have made the account inaccessible to others and the kid should not have added you. BUT you should have taken into consideration that Adders give you the option to search from 18 and over, which should be the minimum age requirement to shop on your site anyways, right?

In my opinion you came off as a spammer, plain and simple. You should have put more thought and research into what you were trying to accomplish. But give it another shot... just RESEARCH prior to taking the next shot.

Hope this helps!

- Clint

clenard, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  15. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    fryman hit the nail on the head ;)

when using any automated spam-like tactics, you need to assume that at some point you will piss someone off.

disgust, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  16. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    As everyone said, if you want to use a friendbot, just be careful with their ages, or you could be in trouble. I was going to launch a site for social network's users, but I gave up because I don't want to deal with the problems that minor users can bring you...

Coupons, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  17. jupzchris

jupzchris Peon

Best Answers:
    wtf is an 11 year old doing w/ myspace???

jupzchris, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  18. 30k Challenge

30k Challenge Peon

Best Answers:
    What a bunch of anal people here. So damn what if he's 11 and saw a "god forbid" shopping site. He shouldn't be on myspace and so what either way.

30k Challenge, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  19. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    you're... surprised that 11 year olds use myspace? myspace is filled with kids. the majority of users are under 18.

they don't allow users under 14, but it's not exactly hard to lie about your age online.

disgust, Nov 28, 2006 IP
  20. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter if he was 11, 13 or 15. You can be in trouble if parents press charges against you. And what will you say? "I was just sending mass bulletins".
    I would prefer to avoid those situations...

Coupons, Nov 28, 2006 IP