1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working From Home Takes Focus...Do you Agree?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013.

?

What is the hardest part of working from home for you?

1. Getting distracted

61.1%
  2. Getting started

27.8%
  3. Finding work

11.1%
    I always wanted to have flexibility in my work-life so I could work from home or from anywhere in the world. Also, I thought it would be great to be able to decide when to work and when to take a break.

Finally, I got there. I made the plunge and I now work from home (Hawaii) and don't have a set schedule. The thing is, it takes discipline and it takes focus. It is very easy to not get started on a project (I write and sell on Fiverr and other sites).

The hardest part of being my own boss and working from home is not getting distracted.

Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  2. Techlusa

Techlusa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i subscribe those words ;)

Techlusa, Mar 19, 2013 IP
    Lynn C likes this.
  3. Nucita

Nucita Member

Best Answers:
    indeed!!! but few people have the opportunity to work at home. i guess while you get use to it, you should give yourself small rewards for having worked hard. it doesn't matter if you worked 1 or 10 hours, the idea is to get excitement of have done it, with some time you will realize that it is easier to focus on work, and you won't have resistance to it.

Nucita, Mar 19, 2013 IP
    Lynn C likes this.
  4. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

I agree. Rewards help. Just a walk around the block or a cup of coffee or a little time reading are god rewards. Then, back to work. : )

Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  5. Spixels

Spixels Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats on working from home!
    I think there needs to be a bit of balance. It's hard to ALWAYS be home working, at least for me. I used to work in an office full time and dreamed of working from home. I finally got the opportunity to work from and it's great but after a while I felt like I needed some interaction. The perfect balance for me is 3 days home and 2 short days in an office with other people discussing and whatnot.

What makes work at home a bit more bearable is taking exercise breaks. I find this helps so much with staying focused and it definitely helps dealing with stress.

Kudos to you, not everyone gets that freedom!

Spixels, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  6. funmom91

funmom91 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I also agree with the distraction problem. I find myself getting distracted on forums (like now lol), social media, my email, blogs, eBooks, and so many other things. However, as long as I am learning something or doing something work related that could have been done at a later time, such as marketing, a tend to feel as though I am still progressing and not just wasting time.

funmom91, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  7. Spixels

Spixels Member

Best Answers:
    I find the best times to focus are in the morning. Starting at 12 the day slows down. But then at night 10:00PM or later I get back in the zone. I wonder why :S

Spixels, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  8. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well, learning how to work online is a great excuse for checking out the forums and web-surfing, as long as you don't stay there all day and end up watching funny kitten videos (my personal weakness).

Not to self: Find a way to make money online from funny kitten videos.

Seriously, though, distraction is a major problem for self employed online workers. No one tells you when to get stuff done (generally), so you have to develop a method of self-regulating your work. I'm no expert, believe me, but I do like David Allen's GTD system (Google it). Having a list of Next Actions helps.

The poll shows distraction to be the problem of choice, so far.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  9. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm the same on mornings. My wife, Kate, gets up at 4:45 AM and leaves for work at 6:00 AM. My most productive time is 6-10:00 AM. Then I goof off till around 7-8:00 PM and get motivated again. But hey, I live in Hawaii. The days are just too nice to always be inside looking at a computer screen, right?

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  10. Spixels

Spixels Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe agreed. We weren't meant to be sitting all day, that's for sure! At least you're in Hawaii! We just had a snow storm in Montreal, Canada. And last week all the snow was melted and it felt like Spring. What a tease! I can't imagine being forced to go to an office on a day like today. Another advantage of making your own hours.

Spixels, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  11. Lynn C

Lynn C Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    True. This past weekend I watched Montreal play Toronto in MLS (soccer) and Montreal looked beautiful. I have ever been but hope to visit one of these days.

Rocky

Lynn C, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  12. Spixels

Spixels Member

Best Answers:
    It's a good place with lots to do. If you're into city life it's great. I'm more of a suburbs quiet area type of guy :p

Spixels, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  13. AuctionDebtEliminator

AuctionDebtEliminator Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you work from home, and have a home office, make sure it's detached from your house. . . like in your back yard or detached garage. In a shed, if you have to.

Because you still 'go to work' and are separated from all of the distractions of TV, the xBox, the fridge, and the fish tank.

AuctionDebtEliminator, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  14. inyourway

inyourway Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

The same happened here in Sweden.. Snow, spring, snow, spring and now there's snow again.. Sigh.

I agree about the hardest part is not to get distracted.. Sometimes it's tough but I can handle it most of the times. I work for my own income and for me instead of working for someone else and as long as I still manage to do the work I'm supposed to do, the bills will be paid. The bills, that's the key I use to put all the distractions into a lockbox. :D

inyourway, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  15. Spixels

Spixels Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I've heard the same thing in other locations. Maybe it's a global warming effect.

I agree it definitely does help when you have some pressure on you, whether its your own doing or if its bills looming on you. Either way it's better than having a superior breathing down your neck all day.

It's funny 100% of votes are on getting distracted lol.

Spixels, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  16. Shane1234

Shane1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's too easy to get distracted at your home so I try to work through my distractions by multitasking. Eating, watching a show, writing an article, etc. It sounds crazy but somehow I make it work lol.

Shane1234, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  17. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been working at home for years now and I have the same problem. It takes more discipline to sit on your desk and work from your home than to go to an office. It's extremely tempting to just jump back in bed and watch the television with a large tumbler of popcorn to accompany you.

Writer's Block, Mar 22, 2013 IP
  18. Brian L. Martin

Brian L. Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true man, congrats on the migration to working from home though. Focus and discipline for sure are mandatory, for that matter 12+ hour days are pretty much mandatory when you first start out (feels like 24/7 for me still lol). It's worth it though, so enjoy it. If you don't have a multi-monitor setup going now I'd seriously consider it, make your time at the computer as painless as possible, you're going to be spending a lot there. And for that matter, consider a gym membership if you don't already have one, you'd be surprised how many calories aren't being burned because you have a little bit more flexibility in your schedule.

Brian L. Martin, Mar 23, 2013 IP
  19. sauerteig

sauerteig Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Its real sauerteig man..i think pureleverage give great opportunity for everyone to earn from online from your home.Its really easy way thanks techlead,i think is there have another way earning from online?if have then please provide for us...

sauerteig, Mar 24, 2013 IP
  20. Indiabulls

Indiabulls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Focusing on work from Home is something like walking on water & thinking that we are not gonna drown. But everyone knows whats gonna happen. For a start it looks good but things start to get bad days by day might be in a month. First distraction and finally frustration..

Indiabulls, Apr 1, 2013 IP