1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a good Business

Discussion in 'General Business' started by DmalloyComedy1, May 3, 2013.

I'd I decided to create my own website and sale t shirts online with my logo would that be a good idea??

DmalloyComedy1, May 3, 2013 IP
  2. Greg Ramos

Greg Ramos Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That would be a great idea. You can sell many different kinds of products online with your logo. Be sure to make a nice logo so you can get well known and people will like it. The more people that wear the logo is like the more advertising and money you make.

Greg Ramos, May 4, 2013 IP
  3. monique.bliss10

monique.bliss10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any business as long as its legit is worthy of time and effort. Yours is a good one, all you have to do is promote it well offline and online in order to get tons of leads. It will never be easy as you may find so many competitors but if you know well how to package your brand and you know your target people then expect profit as time goes by.

monique.bliss10, May 4, 2013 IP
    briguy likes this.
  4. jmjsolutions

jmjsolutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Is your logo famous for anything? Does it make people laugh? People need to know about your brand and like it, before they will buy a t-shirt with a logo on it. They need a reason to buy it. If you have a business that already has a following, then that can work. Otherwise, you must think of a plan for marketing it first, and figure out why people should want to buy a shirt with your logo on it.

jmjsolutions, May 4, 2013 IP
  5. PolkRB

PolkRB Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure to use high quality blank t-shirts. That's always my main concern. If I got it and even if I didn't like the logo, I'd continue to wear it if I liked the quality of the fabrics.

PolkRB, May 4, 2013 IP
  6. adam7one

adam7one Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on how you are going to market your product, online marketing plays a big part, you can't simply create a website and hope people will turn up and buy your products. The trick is to get your logo seen and recognized, people need a reason why they should buy from any business in particular.

adam7one, May 4, 2013 IP
    briguy likes this.
  7. PolkRB

PolkRB Active Member

Best Answers:
    True, but from my personal experience, I sometimes liked the logo, but the fabric was so terrible that it was impossible to wear.

PolkRB, May 4, 2013 IP
  8. gkuang2

gkuang2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agree, its like having jordan shoes but if they were uncomfortable you still wouldn't wear it. Its a really nice brand but you don't want your feet hurting all day. Have you tried cafe press? You can actually design your own shirts and sell it there. That might be a good place to try out to see if your design sells. Hopes this helps!

gkuang2, May 5, 2013 IP
  9. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you havent given us alot of information on yourself to see if this is a good idea or not. You are taking on a few different battles, so lets break it down:
    1. website
    2. advertising and seo
    3. shirt design, production, and distribution

1. you need a site created. Can you do this yourself? Or are you willing to try to create one using wordpress? where will you host your site? Have you looked into hosting costs? Will you site have a shopping cart feature allowing people to order and pay instantly online? What payment options will you allow?
    This first step is important. there are free ways to get this done with wordpress, there are also some other scripts that might be better but cost more. So work out your options here, and costs involved. If you cant do this, or need someone to help you, then get some quotes so that you know what your looking at in terms of cost.
    Also look at the costs of hosting over 1 year so that you know what to expect. The initial start up costs, and ongoing monthly costs will determine if you can afford to even try this business idea or not.
    To give you an idea, I know someone who set up a custom solution for a different niche, at a price of $15k + $xxx server monthly fees. So whatever you do, come up with a plan and work out what it will cost for you before you start.

2. No point having a site if noone can find it! SEO costs $300-$500 per month, and you need to do it for several months before you see results. Advertising on other peoples sites is expensive with more viewers then actual shoppers, but you should still work out if you want to advertise, and work out how much you will spend on advertising per month. If you are not doing seo and not doing advertising, then your site is invisible

3. Who will make the actual shirts, distribute them and so on? Do you have quotes from local suppliers for pricing? will you be able to do 1 offs, or is there a minimum buy? have you looked at all of the costs involved? what is the turn around time per shirt?

regarding payment options. Look into different payment solutions. From what I have read, you can expect a %% fraud rate, even if the rate of fraud that you experience is only 1%, you need to allow for this. I would advise to work out your final costs, then add on 5%, and this 5% is too allow for fraud. What do i mean by fraud? I mean you ship the item to the person, 3 months later, the credit card is reported stolen, and the bank takes the money from you. If this happens you lose the shirt, the postage costs, the money, your time, and you get to pay the bank fee for accepting a stolen card.

Final notes, when is the last time you, or any of your friends brought shirts online? And what made you choose (or not choose) to buy those shirts? Did pricing, shirt designs, payment options, or "site trust" have any effect on your decision to buy or not buy?

So long as you have looked at everything and have plenty of time on your hands and alot of money to burn then I think it is a great opportunity. People need shirts, and I think it is great when there are some fresh designs out there. I always love it when I can find a shirt that is "me" and noone else has it.

I dont sell shirts, so all this is just my 5cents worth. Goodluck.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
    matt_62, May 5, 2013 IP
  10. Oozen

Oozen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Selling t-shirts is a great idea. You just have to have a competitive advantage do to there being so much competition in your space.

Your shirts have to be either high in quality, cheap in price, or quick on deliver.

High Quality is of course one of the hardest competitive advantages to sell because it cuts down on your profit margin unless you sell them at higher cost than others which cuts down on your customer base. For this option you may want to focus your business on a niche market instead that would be willing to spend that much on a high end quality t-shirt. Like HacxxUnderground said you may want to focus on the tech industry or maybe cover bands who have a dedicated fan base who would be willing to spend that type of money on a custom t-shirt. Once you have high quality customers you can always ask them what else they would like and up sell them on other work or products you may have.

Cheap in price is always good but the problem with that is that your quality suffers. Even with that said there is still a market for ok quality t-shirts that have a decent price. Once again we are going to go niche. Think family reunion, church events, school outings, and little league sporting events.

Last but not least is quick delivery. If you can beat a deadline for any of your customers you are golden. There many occasions when someone forgets to order there shirts in advance and would be willing to pay a premium if you could put a rush on it. Think business retreats and birthday parties.

There are many ways to stand out just try to be different from your closest competition while have amazing customer service. It's the little things that count. Hand written notes delivered with their orders thanking them for their business or just remembering their name the next time you see them. All these things add up in value and sets you apart from the rest.

I would say I wish you luck on your new venture but I don't believe in luck so I will say I wish you the best preparation on your new business.

Just set a goal, make a plan, follow the plan, and you will succeed.

Oozen, May 5, 2013 IP
  11. nadalbg

nadalbg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a good idea, but it will be hard to do it. You need quality, low price and a lot of advertising. Also remembering your logo will do you a favor, be creative with it. You will need a good ammount to start advertising your t-shirts on the web and then if people like them they will advertise them for you for free mouth to mouth.

nadalbg, May 6, 2013 IP
  12. WinterIsComing

WinterIsComing Peon

Best Answers:
    I get the feeling you don't know much about online marketing, so if I were you I'd look at selling on a site like Etsy or Threadless. You can make good money there, and there's already traffic on those sites.

WinterIsComing, May 6, 2013 IP
  13. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do market research - questions need answers like: Are there people who want to buy those? Are there competition? If little competition why is it because it's not a profitable niche?

Figure out if it's a profitable niche...

jacksarlo, May 6, 2013 IP
  14. SEO Syed

SEO Syed Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes Good Idea dear,

SEO Syed, May 6, 2013 IP
  15. Amanda103

Amanda103 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well I guess its a great idea. You start with t-shirts having you logo and then sell other stuff like bags, shoes, iphone covers. Also do a little survey to ask people want kind of clothing they want. People are always looking for high quality products at affordable rates.

Amanda103, May 6, 2013 IP
  16. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea it would be a great idea, your success will come down to how hard you promote your site and the effort you put into it. Remember to treat it like a real business and you'll succeed.

ninjamtlt1, May 6, 2013 IP