1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Achieving Long Term Success Online

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ayeronnie, Sep 15, 2013.

I've had my ups and downs over the years. Most of those times it was my own fault, because I wasn't working smart. So if, anything, I hope some people will at least learn from my mistakes.

One trap many people fall into, including myself, is relying on one main traffic source or one stream of income.

Been there, done that. Course I don't always learn from my mistakes.

To have long term success with an internet business, you need to have multiple streams of income and multiple streams of traffic.

For example, years back people built their entire business model around Adsense. Googgle clamped down and many folks watched their business disappear overnight. Same thing for PPC.

I've made the mistake of relying too much on search engine traffic. Was great while it lasted, but it did not always last.

How many G slaps have there been?

I can count all kinds of traffic sources I use to use, that where just gone one day. Along with my sales.

Thing is, it's SO easy to get comfortable when you're making money or driving traffic. We can get complacent. Hey it's working, what's there to worry about?

Smart marketers build up multiple income and traffic streams, so if something happens to one, it's not a total loss. It's not a, crap I'm broke now moment.

As for income, you could also have recurring income, such as promoting affiliate membership programs that pay you every month. Build up as many different sources of income as you could. Not only will you have a more stable income, but as each one adds up, the bigger your bank account gets.

You could build up traffic by have articles posted on many different sites, or having viral reports or ebooks scattered around the net. Build email lists, so you will have traffic one demand, whenever you need or want it.

I'm sure most of you already know this, just a reminder, one I need to hear more often myself.

ayeronnie, Sep 15, 2013 IP
  2. amuro

amuro Member

Best Answers:
    I agree.

Though having many sources is important, providing quality information as in providing solutions for people needs and wants is just as important whether you are promoting your own products or as an affiliate.

Because if you don't, even if you have many sources, it won't be of much help to you.

amuro, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  3. Gugulethu - Blogging Pro

Gugulethu - Blogging Pro Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with Amuro. Just as long as you're providing quality you'll be fine. I'm not saying having multiple of income streams and traffic doesn't work, it's what I do everyday. Non of my blogs have been slapped by any Google update, they're still ranking well in search engines. Simply because they offer a solution to people's problems.

Good advise though.

4. CandleKeep

CandleKeep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make your content stretch like stretch armstrong.

:)

It has to be high quality content though.

:D

CandleKeep, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  5. artofmarketing

artofmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I heard about a test they did with a website that had posts only by people with a PHD which was left alone without any promotion in terms of traffic. And guess what... No one was visiting it, no one was sharing and no one was backlinking to it...
    Google wants you to believe that quality content is the only thing you need but actually this is only the first step...
    You need to protect yourself from future Google updates, social media sites going out of fashion (like MySpace) etc.
    That is why I totally agree with ayeronnie - you absolutely Need to have multiple ways to drive traffic!
    Good luck :)
    Art

artofmarketing, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  6. Gugulethu - Blogging Pro

Best Answers:
    We are not saying if you have quality content then you don't have to do anything. Get that straight!

7. ayeronnie

ayeronnie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I was talking about multiple streams of income and in traffic for a more reliable incoming income. Don't know how it got off on to the subject of content. Not that it's not an important part of an internet business. Just wasn't the point of the post :)

ayeronnie, Sep 16, 2013 IP
    jazzd1 likes this.
  8. Gugulethu - Blogging Pro

Best Answers:
    It's because you mentioned search engines traffic bro :D

9. amiluvu

amiluvu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I' m afraid there is no easy button to become a long-term successful online marketer.

Some people will need 6 months some others 2 years, and so on.

It has to see with persistence & strong beliefs you CAN succeed.

Without being absolutely certain that you will achieve your clear & determined goals, there is no hope to succeed.

Stopping to jump from one course to the other & taking action is also crucial to Your Success.

amiluvu, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  10. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    We should diversify the risks in any kind of business. :) It's just a theory in business schools.
    In the real life, less risk generates less profit. Most of the business decisions are taken based on today's conditions and some expectations about the future. Real businessmen don't worry too much for the tomorrow. Put your all eggs into the same basket if you wish. This is life, this is business life. You should be ready to lose.

makeit easy, Sep 23, 2013 IP
  11. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In business, my greatest achievements and income primarily derived from taking risks. However, they were "calculated" risks in which all steps were taken to maximize success, including understanding all possible outcomes and planning for them. Don't become an entrepreneur unless you are ready to take risks and, sometimes, bigger risks that you would prefer. The key is to make sure that they are "calculated" risks.

jrbiz, Sep 23, 2013 IP
  12. Jglenn

Jglenn Member

Best Answers:
    And how do you calculate the risk, what would be the margin of the risk?

Jglenn, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  13. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I used the term "calculated" and put it in quotes as I do here because I was noit implying that I was calculating the actual odds of an event or a series of events occurring by mathematical formula. As I go on to explain in my first post, the process is more about understanding the potential outcomes, various mitigating factors, ways to minimize negative outcomes, etc.

jrbiz, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  14. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    quality should be key for any business. if our online services is top-notch we won't need to chase search engines, they would follow.

webcosmo, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  15. jazzd1

jazzd1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got you bro.. If I would have multiple streams of income in the beginning for one of my sites, I wouldn't be worrying to much about trying to get it going again from the google updates..

jazzd1, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  16. ayeronnie

ayeronnie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly! Perfect example and I've been there myself. Too many times.

ayeronnie, Oct 1, 2013 IP