1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The next Facebook?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by mareks12, Sep 19, 2013.

In it's latest market report, British communications watchdog, OFcom cited a 5 percent decline in the number of 15-24 year olds using social networking sites such as Facebook. Although overall usage was up for all other age groups, social media sites, marketers, and advertisers have an especially keen interest in the 15-24's due to this group's tendency to lead the social media trends.

Ofcom also reported a steep climb in Twitter's popularity. Usage has increase from .1 million Tweeters over the past year to 2.6 million in May of 2009.

That being said, where are these 15-24's spending their time? Do you believe Twitter is going to trump Facebook? Does the next Facebook or Twitter already exist?

Share your thoughts. [​IMG]

mareks12, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  2. artofmarketing

artofmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Many young people are using Instagram a lot more than Facebook and Twitter. It doesn't mean they only use Instagram. They simply spend more time there than on other social media and that is where these numbers are coming from...
    Anyway, FB and Twitter are not going anywhere so don't jump from one social media site to another just because of a little trend change :)
    Good luck!
    Art

artofmarketing, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  3. jainy25

jainy25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook will still remain the dominant force in Social Media for a long while. They have got the control over Instagram and can pull the plug anytime anyways if they ever want to. Or convert Instagram into Facebook itself. Twitter can never reach that much audience because of it's simplicity, which in a way is it's limitation. I mean how long can you continue to tweet every moment of your life?

What I feel is eventually there will be some decline in Social Media itself as it is getting a little 'boring' according to the trend leaders(15-24). People are preferring more direct interaction again. Even if you see Facebook, it's traffic is getting virtually divided. If you want to chat, you got Whatsapp, BBM, iMessage and texting(of course). Again, you can share photos and videos on Whatsapp and BBM. Video chatting is getting better through Skype and Facetime. Voice calling through skype and phone itself with rates getting cheaper than ever. Facebook games are getting boring as well. Thankfully I get very less Farmville, Candy Crush and other game requests now. 70% of the posts on my Facebook feed are just content shares from various fan pages and groups. Very less status updates nowadays.

But hey, Facebook is still the basic root of all problems social media.

jainy25, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  4. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When you are a teen, you do what your friends do! If your friends in school or collage are in instagram, you would like to be there as well!

Facebook, at this moment, however popular - is not quite the new and shiny thing anymore!

That being said, i don't think there is a new facebook coming up anytime soon...

uttoransen, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  5. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Instagram and Pinterest may be the new Facebook, just like Facebook was the new MySpace. :)

danasurvey, Sep 22, 2013 IP
  6. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alot of young people are on instagram or snapchat. But yea I believe Twitter will overtake Facebook someday, they seem to be more legit with their business practices.

ninjamtlt1, Sep 23, 2013 IP
  7. nirajanmalla

nirajanmalla Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, there are not next facebook or twitter, if they do exist they are all clones. Cloning a service can never be a successful project.
    Similar to facebook , twitter ? , yes there are 100s of them. VK.com, Path , Google+ are good alternatives to Facebook.

nirajanmalla, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  8. sarah12

sarah12 Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook and Google will remain dominant force for a very long time.

sarah12, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  9. jainy25

jainy25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The talk is about social networking. I don't see how Google will dominate even for a short time...

jainy25, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  10. Alicia Tang

Alicia Tang Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with the above posts, I'm in that age range and it's easier and funner using snapchat and/or instagram to post stuff. I also know a lot of people that use twitter to vent or write out their thoughts.

Alicia Tang, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  11. ahana1488

ahana1488 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Facebook keeps on updating things, they try to introduce games and more and more apps day by day, but on the other hand twitter is just sweet and simple. A whole world in just 140 characters. I would say that one day not too late from now, twitter is going to overtake Facebook in social media. Reason:- People follow trends but not for long, they rather love to be simple and sweet like twitter.

ahana1488, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  12. sery kouma kone

sery kouma kone Member

Best Answers:
    I think Facebook has a long way to go even if people are trying to get out of their addiction state. I have to admit that Facebook could be distracted and addicted, but also could be used for great purposes. Go Facebook......

sery kouma kone, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  13. najinsword

najinsword Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even if people do use Instagram more than Facebook it does not really matter. Mainly because Facebook owns Instagram. If we are talking about a new social network evolving into the social media scene anytime soon I highly doubt it. Facebook and Twitter control these like a monopoly. Ya you have Pinterest which has had alot of success, but look at Google+. Google's own way of trying to break into the social media/network scene and it never really took off the way Google wanted it to. That's not to say that Google+ or Pinterest are bad forms of social media. It just means that Facebook and Twitter already have so many people there is no incentive for people to go elsewhere.

najinsword, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  14. almyty

almyty Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    exactly, look at google+ it's around for some time, but I hardly ever hear that some college guy or school guy is there and socialize there with friends, g+ are mostly business people (IMs?) and facebook is everyone else :)

almyty, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  15. AndyNet

AndyNet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There have been many social media sites trying to be the next facebook but failed.

AndyNet, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  16. readezarchive

readezarchive Active Member

Best Answers:
    At the end of the day most people end up on Youtube or Facebook

readezarchive, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  17. sery kouma kone

sery kouma kone Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook won't be replaced pretty soon. Before I can develop my argument, I think it is important to say that Facebook is one of the social network that can be found in remote areas of poor countries. Their presence in these countries show how it has impacted the world. Now why they won't be replaced soon?

First, Facebook have been created by very smart people (we may not like them, but we have to admit that they are smart) who are not going to let this amazing invention fall apart.

Second, many companies including Google have tried to compete by creating social media platform. They did a great job, but the fact and the natter is people still spending the same amount of time on Facebook.

Finally, Facebook is becoming this growing forum where people and businesses interact everyday. It is becoming on its own a global market!

sery kouma kone, Oct 17, 2013 IP
    ay223 likes this.
  18. ay223

ay223 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea not for next 10 years Ill say, and it is getting bigger and bigger and also a great business opportunity there as well.

ay223, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  19. arden001

arden001 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think there are some alternate exist of every features of facebook or Twitter, for example now for photos people are using Instagram and for chat whatsapp is going to be first choice and for marketing Google+ increasing its popularity, so overall I think there is an era of every thing currently Facebook, Twitter are dominating sites but in future they could be trump by other better social networks.

arden001, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  20. alamlinks

alamlinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There have been many social media sites trying to be the next facebook but failed.

But AlamBook will overtake the facebook.

alamlinks, Nov 29, 2013 IP