1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just got a task to re design a website from RICH kid..NEED ADVICE

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 4, 2013.

I just got a task from a rich kid,he bought domain and hosting
    from I-PAGE. Damn ipage is cool,i like the cpanel,lots of stuffs.
    He is using WordPress,but he is not a professional a newbie. He was
    designing a DATING site. So i told him dating site is JOKE,its
    hard to MAINTAIN.

He already registered for ADSENSE even when the site is not
    ready. He asked me to think about what we can turn the site into.
    Please help with advice,what brings money into site now in 2013
    that is adsense friendly. What can i turn the site into apart from DATING site.

SITE NAME prosamgeeks dot com .......still fresh

Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    He needs to sit down and write a proper business plan - starting with his strengths and weaknesses. There is no point starting any sort of business if you can't be passionate about it and proud of it. Without knowing anything about this "kid" (except that you clearly don't respect him) I'd tell him to hold off until he has a clear vision of how he wants to spend his time. I doubt admin-ing a dating site would be all that much fun.

sarahk, Nov 4, 2013 IP
    malky66, matt_62 and ryan_uk like this.
  3. Abiolas Gabriel

Abiolas Gabriel Member

Best Answers:
    @sarahk i feel you bro.....i don't want to design him a dating website,he cannot maintain it.
    He is newbie in online stuff.

Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  4. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you have to say no to a client. This is one of them, never mind how rich he is.

It's not really your place to come up with an idea for him. This is something he needs to do for himself, if he wants to run a business. It seems more like he needs to go to college and study business.

It's a stupid name, but he can try to get a refund.

ryan_uk, Nov 4, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  5. Abiolas Gabriel

Abiolas Gabriel Member

Best Answers:
    I already wrote him to think about something else for his website

Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  6. DarkMatrix

DarkMatrix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do what he like to do on internet
    i.e - i like to do domain trading so i will choose domaining as a business if i will do other business than i will be fail

just sit
    choose your business
    make proper business plan
    than think that if i'm selecting this business than what will be the future of this biz
    if it has opportunity than long tern or short terms
    think both side of business

as you said hes rich kid but i'm sure he has not money tree
    OR
    tell him to invest in other startups

DarkMatrix, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  7. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hmmmm.....
    I kinda am reminded of the time I went to the mechanic and told him i wanted the alternator replaced, and had him screaming at me that it was the battery... when several hours later, i have to get another tow truck and tell him again to replace the alternator.

In this case, the guy has asked you to design a site. Your answer should be along the lines of "yes sir". Reason being that if you dont create it, someone else will. You can make some suggestions as to why you dont recommend it, as well it might be worth mentioning that simply having a website, in any niche wont guarantee a return. I would even advise him to avoid adsense for the time being, he can add it in once he has read the rules, etc, and has a quality site that is established. His eagerness to get adsense to me means he is expecting instant profits, well, he might be sorely dissapointed. Part of me even thinks that this guy, being so eager to earn from adsense, may blame you for any failings.
    As for that domain you mentioned, I cannot think of any site you could use that for, but if he is adamant about using it for a dating site, then go for it. But while you are welcome to give the guy advice, your ultimate job is to do whatever he hires you for. It is really up to him to do his business plan, as well as come up with a strategy and a budget, not just for site creation, but also for hosting, seo, advertising, and maintenance (or site moderation).

Just be sure to be paid in advance, and make sure that you do not promise him any kind of earnings what-so-ever. And if he wants to pay you to make a site all about pokerdots (or whatever ridiculous thing he wants) just do it.
    On another note, Many times you can go through the buying section of various forums, and find sites that really should not exist available for sale, created only for the purpose of being sold for a quick buck. But heres the thing, if people werent building those sites and flipping them, then the buyers would be paying more to have someone create such a site for them, and hence, in a roundabout way they are doing the buyers a favour. In the same way, if you refuse to do the site the guy wants, he might hire someone else, which doesnt help you and in the long run, doesnt help your client.

matt_62, Nov 5, 2013 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  8. Rishit Shah

Rishit Shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can make a site on the subject in which the rich kid is interested in.

Rishit Shah, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  9. Alan E

Alan E Member

Best Answers:
    Is the site name (prosamgeeks dot com) suppose to be related to dating? I don't see the connection.
    That already is the big problem.
    If I were the OP, I would speak the truth and tell his rich friend that it will not work with that domain name.
    If I don't feel confident that I can monetize a site, I would not take the job.
    Start over again with keyword search and pick another domain name. Save your friendship and sanity.

Alan E, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  10. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are putting yourself in dangerous territory. You are hired as a web designer not a business/marketing consultant.

One big problem is a large percentage on business venture never profit and people love to blame their failures on someone else. That will be YOU if you are the one picking ventures for him. Maybe it would be a good idea they just neglect it, still they will blame you because it is easy=you set yourself up for it.

averyz, Nov 6, 2013 IP
    sarahk and matt_62 like this.